R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #241
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does the REV 5 still come with the delrin bulkheads? If so are aluminum ones available? i read on here that someone had the same problem that a friend of mine had with his car with the motor shifting due to impact or a collision.

Sean
Sean Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #242
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

sean - the kit still comes with the delrin pod plates. they work fine if you use a long enough motor screw - 3mm x 12mm. Bruce had some aluminum pod plates made but I don't think they are available in quantity. I don't think aluminum plates are needed unless your runing modified. I'm going to run 10.5t brushless w/o the metal plates.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #243
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

AFAIK the Rev 5 still comes with the Delrin pods. I personally found them irritating; the motor would move easily, and the heat from a properly geared 17.5 motor eventually warped the pods allowing the motor to sit funny in the pods creating havoc with gear mesh. I even tried warming them back up and flattening them and then cooling them, but eventually they deformed past repair.

Larry Bradshaw, Team Tamale, made a handful of aluminum pods for locals and Bruce and took them to Vegas. We've been trying to convince him to make more to run in our WGT cars, but as busy as he is and as much as he does for us out of the kindness of his heart, I don't feel right asking more than 300-400 times lol.

The aluminum pods are VERY nice though!
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #244
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the replies guys
Sean Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #245
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Powers View Post
Does the REV 5 still come with the delrin bulkheads? If so are aluminum ones available? i read on here that someone had the same problem that a friend of mine had with his car with the motor shifting due to impact or a collision.

Sean
if you use the lunsford fat boy screws it really does seam to work well. I knwo some recommend running the graphite motor plate, but I never did like it so I just use the washers and screws from lunsford and really did not have a problem with the motor moving unless it was a really hard wack at the boards.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 AM   #246
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The graphite "Barry" washer works awesome for the delron pod plate. It eliminated the warp, and helped with motor slippage if you decided to drive through the chicane instead of around it.

Thanks to Barry for helping Bruce develop it...

Beavis
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #247
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis353 View Post
The graphite "Barry" washer works awesome for the delron pod plate. It eliminated the warp, and helped with motor slippage if you decided to drive through the chicane instead of around it.

Thanks to Barry for helping Bruce develop it...

Beavis
I always thought a "Barry washer" was an unfortuante person who had to follow Baker around with a loofa and some shampoo.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #248
Tech Adept

Just curious,

What was the intended benefit behind the design of the delron pod? I also had a friend who had major issues with motors backing off...
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #249
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis View Post
Just curious,

What was the intended benefit behind the design of the delron pod? I also had a friend who had major issues with motors backing off...
I believe it is lighter and delrin doesn't hold a tweak and bent like aluminum.
RCSteve93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #250
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Found these by happenstance today!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Speedmerchant-RE...ayphotohosting
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #251
Tech Addict

Bruce gave a drawing of the pod plates and asked for an exact copy of the drawing. The 1 prototype he got to see if he wanted them to do the plates came back like that. He knew the beveled washers they claimed would work great wouldn't and proceeded to mount a motor in just to show them. It bends the plate at the top and bottom.

I know Larry from Tamale did a first batch a long time ago. Not sure who did the second batch from just prior to vegas. Both followed the drawing, and both are actually used on team cars.
JoelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #252
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Joel - I believe the second batch of pods came from someone in Colorado. team tamale also made some more plates before vegas this year.

would you recommend anyone buying the plates listed on eBay?
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #253
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
I always thought a "Barry washer" was an unfortuante person who had to follow Baker around with a loofa and some shampoo.
Your kidding right? Barry hasnt seen a loofa in ages.

LOL. Baker jokes just never get old!

Beav
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #254
Tech Addict

Mike I have a set that someone gave me, but just haven't tried them yet. I'll take pictures side by side to show you. Would I recommend them? Can't really say for sure, though If someone did buy them DO NOT use the beveled washers like they show in the picture.

Since before Vegas when cars were being upgraded, delrin pieces kept magically appearing in my pit. I have a bag full of the delrin ones.
JoelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #255
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelV View Post
Bruce gave a drawing of the pod plates and asked for an exact copy of the drawing. The 1 prototype he got to see if he wanted them to do the plates came back like that. He knew the beveled washers they claimed would work great wouldn't and proceeded to mount a motor in just to show them. It bends the plate at the top and bottom.

I know Larry from Tamale did a first batch a long time ago. Not sure who did the second batch from just prior to vegas. Both followed the drawing, and both are actually used on team cars.
the team tamale bulkheads are the best out there. They are made a little thinner then the stock delrin bulkhead to help with space in the pod. they are also out of the same stuff that all of team tamale stuff is made of. unbendium or something. lol

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote