R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2008, 02:51 AM   #211
Tech Elite

I think everything will bolt up ok to the 4.5 chassis, but the Rev5 chassis is different.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #212
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
I think everything will bolt up ok to the 4.5 chassis, but the Rev5 chassis is different.
This is correct. You could get the Formula front end and be done with it. But the new lower chassis plates have the balancing holes and, more importantly, access slots for adjusting the Formula front end, so that you won't have to remove the front lower arm plate every time you want to try a different linkage position. I actually have 2 sets of front links for the long links and medium links. It's a matter of 5 minutes to change over.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
This is correct. You could get the Formula front end and be done with it. But the new lower chassis plates have the balancing holes and, more importantly, access slots for adjusting the Formula front end, so that you won't have to remove the front lower arm plate every time you want to try a different linkage position. I actually have 2 sets of front links for the long links and medium links. It's a matter of 5 minutes to change over.
forgot about the cut outs up front...my bad....

I have been wanting to make up some long and short links for easy changes to the front end...would make life much easier...but i have been loving the short links so far...so we will see......
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #214
Tech Elite

The Formula front end is a pretty impressive piece of work in my opinion. I've built a couple of them for customers and they are very solid with no play at all and operate very smoothly. I hope to be trying one on an OD12 soon

Last edited by odpurple; 04-09-2008 at 10:47 PM.
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #215
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You will love it.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Has any one else had any issues with motors on the Rev 5 moving easily in frontal collisions? Has anyone got any ideas to fix it? I saw a motor move when a driver hit a board head on in a rather tame collision. He was using the delrin bulkheads along with te CF motor plate. Any ideas other than "tighten the screw down more .. ."?
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|

Last edited by andrewdoherty; 04-28-2008 at 03:47 PM.
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #217
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Has any one else had any issues with motors on the Rev 5 moving easily in frontal collisions? Has anyone got any ideas to fix it? I saw a motor move when a driver hit a board head on in a rather tame collision. He was using the delrin bulkheads along with te CF motor plate. Any ideas other than "tighten the screw down more .. ."?
Morning Andrew,

If your using the "Barry" CF motor washer then you shouldn't be having issues. The delron pod pieces have a natural amount of lubricity... and it is critical that you tighten the motor screws all the way. Its beyond just "snug"... It really cant be too tight. I use slightly longer motor screws, with big number 4 washers to evenly load the CF plate.

Trust me, with all the PRO 10 testing we have been doing, Ive let just about everyone bash my 10th car which uses the same plate. It has seen some crazy modified style last lap pass attempt front impacts. If you tighten the screws, it wont move.
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #218
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis353 View Post
lubricity...
is that a word or is it too early for me?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #219
Tech Regular

you know it buddy...
Old 04-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #220
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis353 View Post
Morning Andrew,

If your using the "Barry" CF motor washer then you shouldn't be having issues. The delron pod pieces have a natural amount of lubricity... and it is critical that you tighten the motor screws all the way. Its beyond just "snug"... It really cant be too tight. I use slightly longer motor screws, with big number 4 washers to evenly load the CF plate.

Trust me, with all the PRO 10 testing we have been doing, Ive let just about everyone bash my 10th car which uses the same plate. It has seen some crazy modified style last lap pass attempt front impacts. If you tighten the screws, it wont move.

Thanks for the insight Beav. I need to figure out what a #4 washer is!

I tried tightening the screws down way past snug with a SP BL 13.5 motor as well as a Novak 17.5, and noticed the pod was bowing. I cant wrap my mind or eyes around why its bending, but I tried it with a brushed motor CO27 and it wasn't as bad. It just doesn't sit right with me to see the pod bend that way. Prolly just some little thing I am not catching, but its keepingme from feeling good about setting the screws down to "german specs . . . Good-en-tite"

Thanks for the reply Justin!

Andrew
Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #221
Tech Adept

If you have one of the older brushless motors with the square edge cans, then when you tighten it with a big pinion, the can will rub against the bottom plate. I had to file mine.

My friend just got a new Novak 17.5, and the edge of the can is rounded off so it doesn't jit on his car.
12thScaleCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #222
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thScaleCrazy View Post
If you have one of the older brushless motors with the square edge cans, then when you tighten it with a big pinion, the can will rub against the bottom plate. I had to file mine.

My friend just got a new Novak 17.5, and the edge of the can is rounded off so it doesn't jit on his car.
Yeah, I thought about that, but the 17.5 I had in there had the beveled can so it wasnt touching anything but the pod. In fact I took the left side pod all the way off and screwed the motor to it REALLY tight, and it still bowed. I am thinking it is just the compression of the dellrin. Oh well!

The CF plate is supposed to go between the screws and the delrin, right? Or is it supposed to go betwen the motor and the delrin?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #223
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Lubricity

Lubricity is the measure of the reduction in friction of a lubricant. It is due to chemical action between the lubricant or some components of it and the rubbing surfaces in the physical conditions there, due to which a tenatious layer develops, which is able to support the load that the bulk lubricant alone by virtue of its viscous resistance could not. The study of lubrication and mechanism wear is called tribology.

sorry, couldn't help it.

Last edited by The Bear; 05-01-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: better
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #224
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

any merchant drivers have a track to practice 1/12th on? Looking for a summer road trip.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #225
Tech Regular

Talking

Sure do!!

www.trackside.com

Just take I-90 west for a little bit, then head north on I-43. call me when your close.