Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bearing maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Bearing maintenance

How do you pry the seals out of the bearings on a T2 007 like the manual ses to do? I cannot get these out without mangling the seal itself. Any tips??? Thanx!
Old 09-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do the bearings have a very thin snap ring on the outer edge of the seal or are they just a press-in rubber seal?

If they have a snap ring (look really, really close! It's very thin!) use a hobby knife to get under the open end and work it out while holding your finger on it, so that it doesn't spring out and away. Then use your knife, again, to get at the edge of the seal.

If there's no snap ring, then just use your knife to get the edgeof the seal up and, very carefully, work the knife around, prying up the edge around the bearing as you go. You should be able to get them out without bending the seal.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Regional Moderator

If you don't feel like doing this, just pick up replacement bearings from Avid. For a buck a bearing, you can't beat them. Fast shipping, too. I use them in my T2007, and in my XB8EC and XT8.

http://www.avidrc.com/
Old 10-01-2007, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

If they are rubbershielded remove the shields and metal shields don't have to be removed.
Put them in a can and fill it with thinner (the one you use for paint) and let it stay overnight.
The next morning you take them out and let them airdry for a hour. after that reinstall the rubbershields on one side and put a drop of special bearingoil into the bearings, spin them and put the other shields on the bearings.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
If you don't feel like doing this, just pick up replacement bearings from Avid. For a buck a bearing, you can't beat them. Fast shipping, too. I use them in my T2007, and in my XB8EC and XT8.

http://www.avidrc.com/
Ok, wish I had known about AvidRC a month ago before I dropped money elsewhere for bearings.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Ok, can someone tell me the benefits or advantages or rubber sealed versus metal sealed bearings?

It seems metal would be more logical for durability, but rubber sealed can be serviced better by removing the seals.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kn7671
Ok, can someone tell me the benefits or advantages or rubber sealed versus metal sealed bearings?

It seems metal would be more logical for durability, but rubber sealed can be serviced better by removing the seals.
Associated used to include rubber sheilded bearings in the rtr tc3 kits, and metal in the team/ft kits. So my take is its more of a cost issue than a benefit/disadvantage thing.

Durability is the result/bonus for paying more.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Rubber sealed bearings are betteer at keeping dirt out (and lube in) but the penalty is a bit of friction from the rubber seal touching the races.

Metal shielded bearings run a bit more freely, but the shields can allow some very fine grit to get in the bearing...

The metal shielded bearings will perform a bit better, but will require more frequent cleaning and lubrication to retain their advantage.