Wiki Posts
Search

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuzo
Well, to answer your question, Orion has had a pretty good non-combative presence on this board. Granted I'll allow that Trinity's head honcho only seems to show up when he wants to bash brushless and lipo tech.
Out of curiousity, what is the owner of Orion's name?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Buyers WILL eventually need to know what makes these packs better, and why.
Glad to see you back on rctech Apex!

The only "proof" i've seen offered that supposedly makes these packs better is the higher c rating, but most of us already know that even a 20c pack is overkill for most 1:10 applications.

It's truly sad to see people hawking lipos in the same way they hawk nickel batts even though lipo and NIMH are two completely different animals. That might work if we "morons" didn't know more about lipo than some of the companies currently selling them. Instead of bashing Orion and trying to sell lipo in the same way as NIMH, they should educate themselves about lipo and then educate the general public about their pack.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
Your short amount of time in this hobby shows right here. SMC has PROVEN time and time again that they are at the top of thieir game when it comes to performance. Instead of spouting off what you "think" you know, why don't you just sit back, learn something and THEN come to a conclusion. If Danny says his battery will perform BETTER than that of the competition it is because it has been TESTED by drivers better than you and me. You don't really think he would come out here and just say this stuff for fun do you? You are entitled to your opinions but without any real experience behind them you are just blowing hot air.

FYI, SMC is one of the big boys....
Um, advil, you might want to cool your jets. I have used their products for years. I am strictly going off of his tone, not on the strength of what is better. Funny, when I came at folks overtly arrogant (nasty), I was met with nasty feedback and got strikes from the mods. I know SMC is one of the big boys, maybe you might want to look back a few posts. Short amount of time in the hobby? Maybe i havent been in it for 20 years like some, but having been doing this for upwards of 9 and having started in electric going to nitro and goinig full circle back to electric because of lipo, I know enough. I am not dissing them, I am making reference to how they are pitting their LIPOS against Orions. Not the quality of their lipos, but you know what, why am explaining myself?!?!? Glad you think you know it all, but YOU DONT, so stay off my back.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Um, advil, you might want to cool your jets. I have used their products for years. I am strictly going off of his tone, not on the strength of what is better. Funny, when I came at folks overtly arrogant (nasty), I was met with nasty feedback and got strikes from the mods. I know SMC is one of the big boys, maybe you might want to look back a few posts. Short amount of time in the hobby? Maybe i havent been in it for 20 years like some, but having been doing this for upwards of 9 and having started in electric going to nitro and goinig full circle back to electric because of lipo, I know enough. I am not dissing them, I am making reference to how they are pitting their LIPOS against Orions. Not the quality of their lipos, but you know what, why am explaining myself?!?!? Glad you think you know it all, but YOU DONT, so stay off my back.
I re-read your post. To me it does come off as arrogant and know it all. So I re-read my post...it may be the same. So all I can say is...

Pot meet kettle.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only reason why I bring up Orion is because the couple of guys who seems to want to say our packs are to expensive or don't have a hard case as the reason why we suck keep comparing it to the Orion pack.

My last post was in direct reflection to the post of Turbo Joe who seems to be promoting the lower price of the Orion pack and that ours is 200mAH extra.

Higher C rate equals to better performance and better life expectancy out of the pack.

I'm glad to hear that some racers aren't concerned about on track performance with Lipos as it seems that racers buying sub-c do care about it as I get emails all the time asking to buy the highest voltage packs with the lowest IR. I really doubt when Lipos become legal in major races that racers will not care about performance.

The size of our pack is 23mm x 44mm x 130mm. We have some really good ideas for a hard case and we will do what is needed to make it fit in Sedan.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

I re-read your post. To me it does come off as arrogant and know it all. So I re-read my post...it may be the same. So all I can say is...

Pot meet kettle.
Hate to bust your bubble, I never professed to be a know it all. I am simply asking dude questions. And in reference to re-reading posts thats POSTS -PLURAL, you telling me about SMC being the big boys is a matter of redundancy. Had you read any of my previous posts, you would have clearly read that I have used their products and have high hopes for their stuff in this lipo world. The SMC IB 3800 was my pack of choice before I went lipo. I give them props for being a sub c manufacturer that has gone into the lipo fray. As for their pricing and soft casing, I spoke on it like EVERYONE ELSE on this forum. Just because you know other people better, dont single me out because of my past arguementive nature. Its people like you singling me out that prompts things to get out of hand. Danny and jack have spoken on their on behalf quite well. On that note, from here on out, please dont address me any further. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Default Insurance Companies may decide the issue

The more common LIPOs become the more probable a serious injury accident at a race is. Even if LIPOs were twice as safe as NIMH eventually someone will do something stupid or a series of unfortunate coincidences will occur. Some fool will accidentally try charging a lipo with NIMH charger with a bottle of nitro fuel near bye or someones kid will be trying to help his daddy turn marshal and a car with a lipo will get t-boned at high speed and a cell ruptures, the kid picks up the damaged car and gets injured.

The problem for the person or organization getting sued is that LIPOs have a reputation. Whether that reputation is fair or not is immaterial, the lawyers know a jury will have heard of all the laptop battery recalls and will have a long list of "lipo horror stories" to work with.

After the first well publicized high dollar product liability award the insurance companies are going to make it prohibitively expensive for a tracks or programs to get insurance if they allow LIPO batteries. I hope not, but I fear this is just what will happen.

I am not in the insurance or the RC track business so I could be mistaken.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Hate to bust your bubble, I never professed to be a know it all. I am simply asking dude questions. And in reference to re-reading posts thats POSTS -PLURAL, you telling me about SMC being the big boys is a matter of redundancy. Had you read any of my previous posts, you would have clearly read that I have used their products and have high hopes for their stuff in this lipo world. The SMC IB 3800 was my pack of choice before I went lipo. I give them props for being a sub c manufacturer that has gone into the lipo fray. As for their pricing and soft casing, I spoke on it like EVERYONE ELSE on this forum. Just because you know other people better, dont single me out because of my past arguementive nature. Its people like you singling me out that prompts things to get out of hand. Danny and jack have spoken on their on behalf quite well. On that note, from here on out, please dont address me any further. Thank you.
I don't feel that I have "singled" you out. I have objections to statements like : "Again, pitting yours against Orion out the gate is like running before you can walk. Take babysteps, develop a following then go up against the big boys." or "Remember this, I dont run Orions stuff, I run Maxamps. " becuase it seems very condesending and like you're trying to start something without any actual experience to have formed an opinion.

I don't think this discussion has gotten out of hand either, no one has been theatened or cussed at. If you feel I am picking on you I apologise but I must tell you that this is just not the case.

oh well....
Old 09-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

I don't feel that I have "singled" you out. I have objections to statements like : "Again, pitting yours against Orion out the gate is like running before you can walk. Take babysteps, develop a following then go up against the big boys." or "Remember this, I dont run Orions stuff, I run Maxamps. " becuase it seems very condesending and like you're trying to start something without any actual experience to have formed an opinion.

I don't think this discussion has gotten out of hand either, no one has been theatened or cussed at. If you feel I am picking on you I apologise but I must tell you that this is just not the case.

oh well....
Ok, Advil, I'll take the bait. Where in this thread, out of everyone who has asked a number of questions to SMC about there lipos have you addressed them as arrogant or know it alls? Several folks have made direct comments about the soft casing, lack of manufacturer info, pricing, them pitting their packs directly to Orions....you may have tinkled a question here or there, but to say one is "inexperienced" because you say so, is a bit on the pompous tip. If there packs were a little less expensive, the parallels (comparisons) to Orions would have been a moot point. The fact that theirs is in the same price bracket with no internal fuse, with a soft case and secrecy about manufactures has many on this thread Again, I compliment them on being a CELL manufacturer that has gone lipo, this would increases the chance at lipos going mainstream. If the dimensions were slightly smaller, i would have gotten one for my Pro3. Money isnt an object for me, but for some, it may very well be. Dare I speaketh against the almighty Advil.....please man, let it go.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Pit-vs-advil keep it coming

Hey Danny the hell with lipo what are you going to do about the crappy IB cells that that self discharge all the time and go go bad
Old 09-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
Pit-vs-advil keep it coming

Hey Danny the hell with lipo what are you going to do about the crappy IB cells that that self discharge all the time and go go bad
Nah, dawgmeat (look at this, a "pitbull" talking to "dawgmeat"), I aint going there. Folks know how I get down in the club. I am trying to turn over a new leaf BUT as fate would have it, some people just cant let a conversation stay as such. Danny and Jack have dealt with all of the comments, both directly and indirectly. Danny is more of the assertive one and I appreciate how he defends his products. Advil on the other hand, well........
Old 09-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Company Representative

Intellect has improved the selfdischarge of there cells and we have been shipping these out for the last few months. We still see some cells that will selfshort as this is a by product of the low IR and high average voltage. Intellect is comitted to improve there cell while keeping the performance level as high as possible.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Ok, Advil, I'll take the bait. Where in this thread, out of everyone who has asked a number of questions to SMC about there lipos have you addressed them as arrogant or know it alls? Several folks have made direct comments about the soft casing, lack of manufacturer info, pricing, them pitting their packs directly to Orions....you may have tinkled a question here or there, but to say one is "inexperienced" because you say so, is a bit on the pompous tip. If there packs were a little less expensive, the parallels (comparisons) to Orions would have been a moot point. The fact that theirs is in the same price bracket with no internal fuse, with a soft case and secrecy about manufactures has many on this thread Again, I compliment them on being a CELL manufacturer that has gone lipo, this would increases the chance at lipos going mainstream. If the dimensions were slightly smaller, i would have gotten one for my Pro3. Money isnt an object for me, but for some, it may very well be. Dare I speaketh against the almighty Advil.....please man, let it go.
Soft casing? I never commented on that becasue I want to keep my opinion on that subject to myself. Lack of manufacturer info? I have made direct comments to exactly that. Inexperienced, my comment directied at you was becaue after 20+ years of dealing with numerous battery matchers I can tell you without a doubt that SMC has been straight with me with numbers and information since 95 or 96 (when I first encountered them). I have "checked" many other brands out and many outright lie or just do not perform on the track. There are some that are just as honest, but I am unwilling to name the names of the guilty or get into that.

Price goes with performance, the old adage about speed costs money is very true.

As far as dareth bla, bla, bla, the almighty Advil....give it a rest. To me this is no different that a bench racing session at the track. Seems like you are the one taking this way to seriously. jeez....
Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

I guess I am just bored this morning...don't take it personl....

The "ALMIGHTY ADVIL"....heh, I kinda like that. LMAO!
Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
WOW 152USD for a single batterypack, Is this made of gold? I'd rather stick to the IB4200 until prices have dropped.
That probably what they want. They want to keep there cash flow constant by selling us overpriced polymer batteries. After all, you would only need two packs per vehicle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.