Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by undark
Jack, you have officially entered spin mode, and are no longer being fair or rational with your answers, or our concerns. You're ignoring the valid points made and focusing on negativity instead of answering legitimate questions. I officially withdraw my support for or interest in your products until you can respond to reasonable questions with reasonable answers.
You didn't answer my question either. Simple question.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
The few guys that are asking for the packs info/data are usually fans of Dr. John Stranahan, originator of the Pantoura Pancar thread and the newer "TC5, Lipo, Li-Ion nanophosphate, tips and tricks"...Dr. Stranahan has been testing lipo's for over a year, from Maxamps and thunderpower, and the APogee lithium manganeese cells...he has extensively reported his findings on them and the cycle life and many other helpful info on them. He has not tested Orion lipos. Some have caught fire, some gone bad, and he posts findings...one common thing he does is ask kokam or orion or Maxamps to divulge their packs chemistry or source- to know which pack has which characteristic or more likely to catch flames if something goes wrong...these guys here asking similar questions have learned a page or two Dr. Stranahan and are avid fans of his research and posts and wish to know the same info...in the end they just want to make it safer for all...they mean well I'm sure. They are just frustrated...cause thye are not getting their way? j/k
If these were a new NiMH release like say IB6000 cells, the data on performance would have been given without even being asked. "These new cells were cycled on a Turbo Cyclonic Ass Blaster 9000 at 75A and have a nominal voltage of 1.27657667765433 and an IR of -1.234!!!.

Yet look back through this thread. What info other than the claim that they are faster than others have you seen?

Anyway, condescending tone aside, your post is lacking due to its assumptions in motives of others.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
David turns his back on Goliath and walks away (stage right)

Fanboys enter (stage left)

I knew I should have read all the recent posts before posting. It's like you are psychic and were announcing my reentry to this thread.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

OK, I just couldnt help myself. I have one last question...

Is a keyboard hero similar to a jukebox hero? ...He's got stars in his eyes...

So how many of you have that song going through your head right now?

You're welcome.

Just thought I would lighten the mood a bit. Have a good day everyone!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just spent 30 min reading most of the posts in this thread. First off, Ive converted to lipo and there is no denying that they are the way of the future for RC, until something better comes along of course.

I honestly can't beleive some of the statements/comments posted by Jack Rimer and Danny/SMC here. Do these guys really represent/work for SMC? If you do you have done an incredibly poor job of handling all the criticism and questions raised here and an even worse job in representing your company. Sometimes less is more my friends!

As for these lipo packs I honestly can't say if they are better or worse than the other packs out there. But what I can say is that I will NEVER buy anyother SMC product after seeing first hand how Jack Rimer and Danny/SMC have so woefully represented the brand.

That's 1 lost customer, how many many more will drop as this thread continues?

Last edited by theprocess; 09-20-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theprocess
I just spent 30 min reading most of the posts in this thread. First off, Ive converted to lipo and there is no denying that they are the way of the future for RC, until something better comes along of course.

I honestly can't beleive some of the statements/comments posted by Jack Rimer and Danny/SMC here. Do these guys really represent/work for SMC? If you do you have done an incredibly poor job of handling all the criticism and questions raised here and an even worse job in representing your company. Sometimes less is more my friends!

As for these lipo packs I honestly can't say if they are better or worse than the other packs out there. But what I can say is that I will NEVER buy anyother SMC product after seeing first hand how Jack Rimer and Danny/SMC have so woefully represented the brand.

I also agree with this after taking up for them with the soft pack issue over the hardcase paranoia! No SMC products for me in the future!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Funny... I was impressed that Jack kept his temper and even bothered to respond to some of those posts.
So SMC has a new LiPo customer ... and I cant wait to pit next to a "hard case" fanatic just to watch him worry that my pack might burst into flames
Old 09-21-2007, 03:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

How can we lose you as a customer if you weren't running our product to begin with?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
How can we lose you as a customer if you weren't running our product to begin with?
I am. And I'm not impressed by your way of handling this either.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
Awesome comeback Jack! Another prime example of how NOT to conduct yourself on a public forum.

For your information I was a huge supporter of SMCs sub-c matched cells, key word "was". I still use sub-c's for racing due to club restrictions. But, SMC never again. Does that count as a lost customer?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:04 AM
Tech Regular

Default Competitive Racing and LIPO

I got out of electric racing two years ago. I got tired of all the crap involved in preparing a car for a five min run. Running nitro on-road just way upped the fun factor by simply having to put fuel in the car and run!! Okay that may be in oversimplification, but wheel time is way higher. That's why I race......I enjoy some prep...........but mainly I want to drive the car.

In the past few years, the advances in brushless and lipo's is tempting me to look at electric again. Hence the fun factor for me.............which is driving the car ............seems to be increased with these two advances.

With lipo being used for quite some time now, I'm sure the Major MFR's have addressed alot of the safety issues. They have to............or the insurance issues due to liability lawsuits would be off the charts. They've been using lipos for years in all kinds of devices. I'm sure that ROAR working with the current major suppliers could agree to standardize at least one hard cased lipo pack, that would work.

A lipo brushless modified class would really appeal to me. As it would many other racers, who got tired of dealing with so many nimh packs and brushed motors. I got so tired of lugging, chargers, dischargers, comm lathe, power supplies all over the place. Our hobby needs to do more to embrace lowering the costs involved, and do more to LEGALIZE LIPO BRUSHLESS for sanctioned racing.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Just remember.. SMC,Oroin, Rick and all whom know about this hobby of ours many times over are here to help improve the sport.

Without the support of the TOP MFGs and reps this issue could go on forever. With the top dogs getting involved its only better for the future as ROAR and all other saction bodies look up to them, So what there doing is positive and may cut 1-2 years more out of the factor.

There doing it to help the future of RC, If they didnt care they would not get involved..We need the top reps involved to save the hobby before we have no tracks or races..

Lets race!!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Helping the sport grow is great, but there is no reason to treat customers and potential customers with such disdain. People were asking simple and fairly common questions, and in 7+ pages of this thread, not one has been answered sufficiently. In fact, each question has been met with so much resistance, that it offers up the appearance that SMC/JACO does not know the real answers to any of them.

Ignoring and abusing the very buyers who are interested in your product is a good way to really sour a lot of your audience on all of your products. Informed and intelligent LiPo buyers won't have the patience to deal with that kind of abuse—no matter what the product is like.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Since we are on the subject (not related to SMC)

For all you that say these RC companies are all going to insure these batteries are safe why cant these Global 500 companies do it? This article from earlier this week demonstrates why battery safety is at the forefront of everyone's mind be it lipo, li-ion, etc:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1180

^^ EVERYONE READ THIS^^
Old 09-21-2007, 06:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by John Tag
Just remember.. SMC,Oroin, Rick and all whom know about this hobby of ours many times over are here to help improve the sport.

Without the support of the TOP MFGs and reps this issue could go on forever. With the top dogs getting involved its only better for the future as ROAR and all other saction bodies look up to them, So what there doing is positive and may cut 1-2 years more out of the factor.

There doing it to help the future of RC, If they didnt care they would not get involved..We need the top reps involved to save the hobby before we have no tracks or races..

Lets race!!
John - do you remember when Orion was rolling out the Platinum then shortly followed with the Carbon? Both MrBlack and Rick were involved in that thread religiously. Answering questions, telling you bluntly what they could not answer, taking what abuse got thrown their way without responding in kind. A lot of data and info was freely given when asked. I'm pretty sure that if/when LRP releases a lipo Rick will continue that method if he was involved in the development.

Maybe some of us got spoiled from that kind of treatment but that is the way a product should be released and discussed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.