Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Racers/Hobbyists playing with Lipos seem to think they are great but as with any rechargeable battery performance will drop overtime. This means the racer who wants to be competitive will need to buy fresh Lipos to stay on top.
Wow!

We have racers still competitive and winning races with li-pos around 2 years old that kinda makes that statement a real crock of BS. Sure they drop off, but unlike nickel batteries it is very gradual over time because you can get alot more cycles out of li-po than any nickel battery could dream about.

Most li-pos users will get 18 times the runtime usage out of a li-po compared to a nickel pack considering li-pos are the same cost or even less per mah than quality matched nickel battery race packs!

I hope you don't represent SMC and this is some kind of joke, but if you are I will never ever buy anything from SMC!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Subjectively
Marketed
Cells

sub·jec·tive: modified or affected by personal views, experience, or background
Old 09-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

If it's Seahan-Enertech, I'll buy two and make my own hard cases for them.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Craps
Wow!

We have racers still competitive and winning races with li-pos around 2 years old that kinda makes that statement a real crock of BS. Sure they drop off, but unlike nickel batteries it is very gradual over time because you can get alot more cycles out of li-po than any nickel battery could dream about.

Most li-pos users will get 18 times the runtime usage out of a li-po compared to a nickel pack considering li-pos are the same cost or even less per mah than quality matched nickel battery race packs!

I hope you don't represent SMC and this is some kind of joke, but if you are I will never ever buy anything from SMC!
Let me get this staight... you jump on Danny for saying LiPo's drop off over time as if that statement is blasphemy. Then you say "sure they drop off over time". What?
He is saying that to run at the most competitve level, you need every last bit of performance out of your equipment. LiPo's have it all over NiMh in terms of longevity and durability- no one is argueing that. But since no one at the highest levels of racing are using LiPo's, it is conceivable that in order to remain competitive, you may have to run fresh packs. The airplane guy have to do it, why not the car guys?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ass Toot
Subjectively
Marketed
Cells

sub·jec·tive: modified or affected by personal views, experience, or background
That's right- EXPERIENCE. Thanks for making our point for us.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
Let me get this staight... you jump on Danny for saying LiPo's drop off over time as if that statement is blasphemy. Then you say "sure they drop off over time". What?
He is saying that to run at the most competitve level, you need every last bit of performance out of your equipment. LiPo's have it all over NiMh in terms of longevity and durability- no one is argueing that. But since no one at the highest levels of racing are using LiPo's, it is conceivable that in order to remain competitive, you may have to run fresh packs. The airplane guy have to do it, why not the car guys?
Its worded in a way to give the illusion (like much RC marketing) that if the pack is more then a week old you are going to get beat. The reality is people that have been using them a long time arent dropping off lap time wise in a very long time (if ever - since they havent been mainstream for too long). In the same context he talks about nimh that drop off much faster kind of giving the impression the lipo drop off will be similar. Like I said in my post Ive ran 1 pack in the same time I ran 12 packs the year before.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

That's right- EXPERIENCE. Thanks for making our point for us.
Jack- thanks for the Lipo packs. Your company is great and I'm sure your Lipo packs will do just fine...I am n Orion and Maxamps user, for 2 yrs now, and dont mind another big name in the mix. Its better, and will in the end benefit all. Keep up the good work
Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Here comes the barrage of bullets. It's Iraq all over Where's the W.M.D's?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

A note to all the haters: despite your efforts to discredit or otherwise demean our company, we are selling these packs at a much better rate than we anticipated. Perhaps I should thank all of you for the unintended exposure you have given us. Your negativity and general malice towards SMC seems to have increased the interest in our line. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

I got some used packs from orbital about a year ago. And I'm still winning races them consistently
Old 09-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wow. This thread went down hill fast.

I feel bad for you SMC guys. I personally wouldn't put a LiPo without a hard case in any of my sedans however I don't fault SMC for releasing a LiPo without one. Many other RC vehicles protect the battery quite well without a case and I'm sure these will be great for that.

I don't fault SMC for not disclosing their source. My advice would have been to let it go about 7 pages ago. From a manufacture stand point I don't see it as an argument that can be won. It won't take very long to gain a good or bad track record. I'd be surprised if it turns out bad with SMC's reputation.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

A note to all the haters: despite your efforts to discredit or otherwise demean our company...Thanks!
No need to thank us, I think you did it to yourself Thanks for the great safety data.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

A note to all the haters: despite your efforts to discredit or otherwise demean our company, we are selling these packs at a much better rate than we anticipated. Perhaps I should thank all of you for the unintended exposure you have given us. Your negativity and general malice towards SMC seems to have increased the interest in our line. Thanks!
I'll buy your packs in a sec. if you put a hard case on them. After all You can't blame me for trying to protect your hi-performance pack and my yearly investment in batteries
Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by porsche928gs
I got some used packs from orbital about a year ago. And I'm still winning races them consistently
That's not the packs. Thats my voodoo
Old 09-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

The rest of statement really pissed me off too, but he is making it sound like you have to buy a new li-po pack every month like you do nickel packs to be competitive that is so wrong. I quess you missed my statement of 18 times the runtime usage.

At least or8ital read it the same way!

Originally Posted by or8ital
Its worded in a way to give the illusion (like much RC marketing) that if the pack is more then a week old you are going to get beat. The reality is people that have been using them a long time arent dropping off lap time wise in a very long time (if ever - since they havent been mainstream for too long). In the same context he talks about nimh that drop off much faster kind of giving the impression the lipo drop off will be similar. Like I said in my post Ive ran 1 pack in the same time I ran 12 packs the year before.
Thanks for backing me up and it sounds like Danny and Jack have no experience with li-pos and are just selling them because the writing is on the wall that they have to if they want to stay in the RC battery market!

To think I was taking up for this company for having soft packs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.