Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah >

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is there anywhere outside of R/C where exposed LiPo's are used?

It's good that some of you haven't needed hard cases, but your experiences cannot encompass all types of racing, and all chassis. Safety precautions are a group effort, based on the experiences of a large number of people, and not just one or two guys running a particular style of racing with a particular chassis design. I've never needed my spare parachute, but that doesn't mean I think people should jump without it just because it's never done anything for me.

You guys have your cheap soft LiPos, and if they work well enough for you, that's great. Please don't insinuate that what's right for you is right for everybody, though, because that's clearly not the case.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigemike
Eventually they will come around and see the light of day. Planes, cordless phones, helicopters and all use soft cased lipo's. This is basically a bunch of bs that has made team orion a lot of money. Come on, have some balls and wuit being sheep led by r/c car action, and uneducated forum people. Hard case is more protective I won't argue that, but it is not an absolute by far. Let's have an open mind about these cells. And be thankful that the technology hit the sport. 10min races are now a viable race in touring 13.5 turn. That gives you 2x the driving time on race day. Instead of trying to throw more hurdles in the way of the lipo cells, lets band together to legalize all forms of lipo's and push to build classes that race them. They are the future, and when they have been using them in planes and Heli's for years with soft cases, then we know that it is a tried and true technology.

Seriously guys lets get together on this and end the conflict.
By far, the boldest statement I have read thus far. Rest assured, the haters are coming! I got your back dog, this could get ugly.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

bigemike
Dude again with the insults. Again, I along with a lot of other people independently decided on what we expect of a lipo pack. Orion's are trusted not because of great marketing but because you know exactly what you are getting and no surprises. If you think that it's sheeplike to have a different opinion than you, well conversation over.

Edit: and my balls are just fine the way they are too.

Last edited by kuzo; 09-19-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: ball clarification
Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ironxxx4
I test some yuntong 5000 hard case charged to 8.5V and discharged to 3.9V full load 20C

i dont know how he make it but the cell resist very good to this treatment

i charge it at 2C to 8.5V and the pack give 0.2V more moy on 60A disch
This post seems to be going unnoticed. I consider it a sincere, somewhat scary glimpse into LiPo's future. Hang on tight, boys...
Old 09-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by undark
Is there anywhere outside of R/C where exposed LiPo's are used?
].

You guys have your cheap soft LiPos, and if they work well enough for you, that's great. Please don't insinuate that what's right for you is right for everybody, though, because that's clearly not the case.
Cheap and soft sided are not one in the same.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by undark
This post seems to be going unnoticed. I consider it a sincere, somewhat scary glimpse into LiPo's future. Hang on tight, boys...
Yes, that is what is going to stand in the way of legalization.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Kuzo, I say that since your ideas don't have any substance to them. You feel just becouse something is in a plastic case it is better. That is crazy, it is better for joe beginner with his brushless traxxas going 70mph down the street in front of his house. But the same people who solder thier own packs, build thier own cars and want the best of the best will eventually steer clear from the plastic cases. Trust me, people that have been doing this hobby for a long time have put thier heads together and found a safe product. I have seen racers take apart thier speed control and reciever and cover them with heat shrink. When was the last time you removed your plastic case to your speedo to make weight? Probably never, and you will never be the guy who is interested in these pack. So don't buy one. But there are guys who want the best and I feel SMC will be busy sending them the highest capacity, fastest cells available. Wether it is a lipo or a nimh.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Can we all just agree that there are several components that can and do make a cell safe. A soft cell (tainted love?) isnt necessarily dangerous and just b/c it has a hard case doesnt make it safe. I think the key point is that consumers need to make sure they are using a safe lipo battery and get educated on them. As we have seen you kinda get what you pay for with lipo (inexpensive cells seem more dangerou). But we cant make blanket statements. Orion has done the best job of showing all their safety data and set the bar high.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cheap and soft sided are not one in the same.
You're right, that's my mistake for insinuating it as such. It's something Jack mentioned in his very first post, actually. Just like a hard case isn't a sign of the best quality cells, like the CSRC hard pack, for example.

These issues all take away from the biggest one with LiPo, and that is the cells themselves are the ultimate deciding factor for quality, and to a large extent, safety. That's why it's particularly frustrating when a company releases batteries and doesn't disclose the source.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Kuzo, I say that since your ideas don't have any substance to them. You feel just becouse something is in a plastic case it is better. That is crazy, it is better for joe beginner with his brushless traxxas going 70mph down the street in front of his house. But the same people who solder thier own packs, build thier own cars and want the best of the best will eventually steer clear from the plastic cases. Trust me, people that have been doing this hobby for a long time have put thier heads together and found a safe product. I have seen racers take apart thier speed control and reciever and cover them with heat shrink.

You are right you have your opinion and I have mine. When was the last time you removed your plastic case to your speedo to make weight. Probably never, and you will never be the guy who is interested in these pack. So don'
t buy one. But there are guys who want the best and I feel SMC will be busy sending them the highest capacity, fastest cells available. Wether it is a lipo or a nimh.
a lipo battery is already way underweight relative to nimh. Why not have the extra insurance of a hardcase? I dont forsee people trying to save weight on a car using a lipo. We are all adding a lot of weight to make weight.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Well give smc time, I am sure that if technical safety data is a needed part of your purchasing a pack then they will get on board eventually. But I have never asked for that info in the past when purchasing a nimh, so I could see there being a little bit of time. Perhaps they want to keep a lid on their manufacturer for a little while for the lipo cells. But you are right, team orion has done a good job on thier packs, I own one and like it. But at the same time there is always something newer, faster, and more runtime.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Kuzo, I say that since your ideas don't have any substance to them. You feel just becouse something is in a plastic case it is better. That is crazy, it is better for joe beginner with his brushless traxxas going 70mph down the street in front of his house. But the same people who solder thier own packs, build thier own cars and want the best of the best will eventually steer clear from the plastic cases. Trust me, people that have been doing this hobby for a long time have put thier heads together and found a safe product. I have seen racers take apart thier speed control and reciever and cover them with heat shrink. When was the last time you removed your plastic case to your speedo to make weight? Probably never, and you will never be the guy who is interested in these pack. So don't buy one. But there are guys who want the best and I feel SMC will be busy sending them the highest capacity, fastest cells available. Wether it is a lipo or a nimh.
A battery with a plastic case will always be better than the same battery without.

You should embrace the plastic case as it is this one thing that has made tracks take notice and allow LiPo in the first place. Push for caseless packs and watch LiPo get pushed two steps backward.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis

Did you want a 3.7v pack, or are you a 6v guy who wants to force lipo mfg'ers to come out with 3v cells just for a niche of a niche of a hobby, or do you want lipos to have a nominal voltage of 7.2v unlike all the NIMH race packs being sold these days?

I don't want Lipo at all, but I would think that if there is such a serious push to have them Roar legal you'd at least want them to be rated like a NIMH. Extra voltage is going to cause a huge problem.

Enjoy bashing me everyone.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

bigemike Funny I don't recall that being my only reason. Disclosure of cell manufacturer was one....ummm...quality cells was another...umm...you're right man I'm just a sheep who's put no thought into this.

But you must be right since I don't agree with you. I've been running and researching lipos a long time now and I'm sorry, I won't be a sheep and fall in line with your lipo brotherhood m'Kay?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
I don't want Lipo at all, but I would think that if there is such a serious push to have them Roar legal you'd at least want them to be rated like a NIMH. Extra voltage is going to cause a huge problem.

Enjoy bashing me everyone.
Your right, ROAR should really look into those cheating Nimh batteries that have more then 7.4V

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.