R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #481
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

...or smaller sticks of tungsten that could fit in battery slots...
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #482
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Tungsten is more expensive than gold! Well, almost. It works damn well, though. And it's non-toxic, though the R/C crowd seems unconcerned based on previous reactions to that point.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #483
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
Out of curiousity, what is the owner of Orion's name?
a reliable source told me Kyosho owns Orion
rovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #484
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Team Orion/ Peak Performance is owned by Kyosho where have you been.Why do you think Rick Hohwart left?
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #485
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default r/c crowd and toxic items

Most r/c racers are too macho to let little things like toxic items deter them. I mean after all, racing r/c cars is such an important pursuit, that a little risk of permanent illness pales in comparison.

But I digress. I am very happy to see that smc has FINALLY come around and will try to release a hard cased lipo pack. When they do, I am sure they will gain many, many new LIPO customers.

Danny/SMC I think you are a much better and informed representative of smc after the compulsion to match tit for tat passes. Thank you for the information (and see, you are not getting beatup as much either). It is amazing what actually conversing instead of being in a huff does.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #486
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
Team Orion/ Peak Performance is owned by Kyosho where have you been.Why do you think Rick Hohwart left?
Dude must've been under a rock like me...I had no idea Kyosho owns Team Orion/Peak. How long has this been? I dont recall seeing any announcement to that effect...like when Thunder Tiger bought AE, Losi Jr. goes to Kyosho, Hara leaves Yokomo for HPI yada yada.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:39 AM   #487
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
Dude must've been under a rock like me...I had no idea Kyosho owns Team Orion/Peak. How long has this been? I dont recall seeing any announcement to that effect...like when Thunder Tiger bought AE, Losi Jr. goes to Kyosho, Hara leaves Yokomo for HPI yada yada.
having kyosho run orion will be the worst ever......you can kiss inventory control, web site up keep, and basic RACER/RC knowledge as to what sells out the window...

Don't belive me....get into Mini z's.......Kyosho is clueless in how to run a RC company....Don't belive me?....Ask ANY hobby shop how their support is....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #488
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thats why this comes as a shocker to me. I have always found Team Orion to be one of the "Companies" in this hobby. Find out that Kyosho owns them is a bit disheartening.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #489
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
Under a rock I guess....

The last I heard about Kyosho is an old acquaintence of mine had gotten a job at the US facility.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #490
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
As far as getting the weight to be as high as sub-c pack in the case should be real tough. How much lead are you guys adding now ? I would think that would add to the size but there maybe a way and we will look into it.
I'm adding about 120 grams to the car...100 grams actually on the battery the rest on the chassis.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #491
Tech Champion

So what's the feedback on these cells? Have those of you that purchased them started to "blow the doors" off others at the track? Any lap time difference that you could post?

What's the status on a hardcased version?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #492
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As some of you implied that were just trying to sell our new Lipo pack by saying it's better since we say it's better this made me test our pack against the Orion 4800 as most seem to want to compare our pack with this packs when it comes to pricing and performance.

The test is done using a Comeptition Electronics GFX with Lipo upgrade.

The packs were charged at 5 amps and discharged at 35 amps down to 6 volts. The voltage sensing leads were attached at the solder point of the connector that would be put on your speed control wire. Which means this takes into consideration the voltage drop through the connectors.

SMC 5000LD: 527 seconds or 5123mAH , 7.22 average voltage and 10.2 internal resistance.

Orion 4800: 486 seconds or 4725mAH , 7.03 average voltage and 11.6 internal resistance.

I hope those of you who thought we just released a Lipo pack under the SMC name and wanted everyone to believe that it was as good or better than what is currently on the market will now believe us after viewing this test result. Also for those who keep saying our pack is to expensive I hope you can appreciate that our pack is slightly higher than its' rated capacity and has higher average voltage and lower IR which means an increase in power.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #493
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
As some of you implied that were just trying to sell our new Lipo pack by saying it's better since we say it's better this made me test our pack against the Orion 4800 as most seem to want to compare our pack with this packs when it comes to pricing and performance.

The test is done using a Comeptition Electronics GFX with Lipo upgrade.

The packs were charged at 5 amps and discharged at 35 amps down to 6 volts. The voltage sensing leads were attached at the solder point of the connector that would be put on your speed control wire. Which means this takes into consideration the voltage drop through the connectors.

SMC 5000LD: 527 seconds or 5123mAH , 7.22 average voltage and 10.2 internal resistance.

Orion 4800: 486 seconds or 4725mAH , 7.03 average voltage and 11.6 internal resistance.

I hope those of you who thought we just released a Lipo pack under the SMC name and wanted everyone to believe that it was as good or better than what is currently on the market will now believe us after viewing this test result. Also for those who keep saying our pack is to expensive I hope you can appreciate that our pack is slightly higher than its' rated capacity and has higher average voltage and lower IR which means an increase in power.
Danny, no offense but doesnt this prove those people that said "you were just saying they were better", right? I assume you just recently ran that test based on the timing of this post so that would lead me to believe when you released the cells you hadnt done such a test? Its great to see that the data supports the claims but I just question the timing of the test.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #494
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
So what's the feedback on these cells? Have those of you that purchased them started to "blow the doors" off others at the track? Any lap time difference that you could post?

What's the status on a hardcased version?

Here is part of an email I got from a racer who has been using our pack.

I got the 5000mah lipo pack from john, and that thing is awesome. It has amazing voltage, feels like at least a couple tenths of a volt better than the orion pacl. The only thing that I am having an issue is with my tc5, it is hard to fit it in because I have to tape the batteries in the car, and being setup like a stick pack I have a really hard time getting it to tape into the car. SoI have been running it in my tc4 where is fits like a glove. I am a big fan of the battery, but if you really wanted it the best possible I would set it up in a hard case that had a ridge to fit in battery slots, and possibly solder tabs, that had a conector soldered to it out of the box, but could be direct soldered by the racers who set their cars up that way. Right now I am running deans plugs which I am not that big of a fan of.

What is pretty cool is that he feels the pack runs a few tenths of a volts faster than the Orion pack and if you look at my test data our pack has .19 volts more and lower IR so I guess this guy has a pretty good feeling for power.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #495
Tech Champion

He must be sticking the leads to his tongue or something to "feel" the power . While its nice to hear something feels faster in the end I really just want to know lap time differences