R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #316
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
You missed the point... might need to re-read my post without an agenda. (hint: someone was trying to make the leap that since SMC claims higher performance... therefore it MUST also mean that it's more dangerous. I was simply calling him on that false argument. COME ON... you can't say stuff like that without a valid reason.) But go ahead and start insulting me. WOW.

Yeah, lets' all assume that it's very likely that these WILL burn down your house... since they don't have data to prove it won't happen.

I have bought several brands of lipos and NO...I did NOT first demand to see safety data. I also grew up riding my bike without a tard helmet. Amazing I am still alive and never had to ride the short bus. (although possibly retarded after all)

Also, I never said it's not reasonable to ask a company for info concerning their product either.

Why don't you guys add up all the lipo sellers who have the kind of safety data you want to see from SMC. How many others have it??
Actually you may want to take a moment to re-read the thread. In there I posted sample safety reports from third party certification companies that other lipo makes have published. I think you are underestimating how many products you own that have these types of certifications from third parties. Have you ever heard of MSDS (material safety data sheet)? Or UL (underwrites Labratories)? I will continue to say its ridiculous to make posts like you have that just b/c they havent shown any safety data doesnt mean it isnt safe. All we have asked is how it was determined to be safe. Thats not to say that it isnt but if you dont test something for safety then how do you know?

Based on your posts maybe you should have worn the helmet sorry couldnt resist. You set it up too well...
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #317
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
You missed the point... might need to re-read my post without an agenda. (hint: someone was trying to make the leap that since SMC claims higher performance... therefore it MUST also mean that it's more dangerous. I was simply calling him on that false argument. COME ON... you can't say stuff like that without a valid reason.) But go ahead and start insulting me. WOW.

Yeah, lets' all assume that it's very likely that these WILL burn down your house... since they don't have data to prove it won't happen.

I have bought several brands of lipos and NO...I did NOT first demand to see safety data. I also grew up riding my bike without a tard helmet. Amazing I am still alive and never had to ride the short bus. (although possibly retarded after all)

Also, I never said it's not reasonable to ask a company for info concerning their product either.

Why don't you guys add up all the lipo sellers who have the kind of safety data you want to see from SMC. How many others have it??
It's actually not a false argument to state that one way to get additional voltage performance out of a lipo is to use a more volatile chemistry. Notice I didn't say SMC was using it, just giving an additional reason to want to know more detail. And actually, I can say stuff like that.

I'm not really impressed that you buy packs with zero research beforehand. Do have the same method for the radios/servos/cars/tires/etc?
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 AM   #318
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orbital gun
Posts: 92
Default

The Enerland cells Flightpower uses may have more voltage under load, but the cycle life graphs are pretty bad. It's not apparent how important that voltage under load is for 13.5 or 10.5 racing. Maybe it would mean a lot more in mod?

Don't get me wrong, I'd happily use Enerland cells, but what they gain in voltage they lose in cycle life. I need to find the charts, but I think they started dropping off after something like 20 cycles.
__________________
rain in our room
undark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #319
Tech Master
 
jag88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Jack, battery matchers live and die by their (nimh) label numbers, will we see any kind of numbers on lipos ?
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #320
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

WOW! You guys REALLY think your battery packs are supposed to last forever???? LMAO!!!!! The first thing the performance geeks will do is push the limits of any new technology. With Brushless it has been gearing....with LIPO it will be????? Charging above the recommended rate????? LOL Sacrificing cycle life for more performance????? LOL

The fact is that anyone that comes out with a battery that is .02 faster per lap will sell tons of them. You can not deny this FACT! So when sales of an Performance Pack far outstrip those of a safe but slow pack.....what then????? Guess what won't be on the market for long....need proof???? How many of you still run 3300s competitively??? LOL

LMAO!!!! I find this entire debate funny...too many armchair engineers in the mix....(not you Ling "FAILURE" Tong...I will take care of YOU on raceday!!!! LMAO!!!!)
__________________
SMC ( www.smc-racing.com the only place to order your batteries online.), Awesomatix, Gonzo Paints, BN Racing

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #321
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
WOW! You guys REALLY think your battery packs are supposed to last forever???? LMAO!!!!! The first thing the performance geeks will do is push the limits of any new technology. With Brushless it has been gearing....with LIPO it will be????? Charging above the recommended rate????? LOL Sacrificing cycle life for more performance????? LOL

The fact is that anyone that comes out with a battery that is .02 faster per lap will sell tons of them. You can not deny this FACT! So when sales of an Performance Pack far outstrip those of a safe but slow pack.....what then????? Guess what won't be on the market for long....need proof???? How many of you still run 3300s competitively??? LOL

LMAO!!!! I find this entire debate funny...too many armchair engineers in the mix....(not you Ling "FAILURE" Tong...I will take care of YOU on raceday!!!! LMAO!!!!)
I think we would take you more seriously if you used more !'s and ?'s
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 AM   #322
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I think we would take you more seriously if you used more !'s and ?'s
Hey now!!!! I NEVER asked anyone to take me SERIOUSLY! LMAO!!!!
__________________
SMC ( www.smc-racing.com the only place to order your batteries online.), Awesomatix, Gonzo Paints, BN Racing

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #323
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
Hey now!!!! I NEVER asked anyone to take me SERIOUSLY! LMAO!!!!
You DIDN'T????????????? OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just having a little fun. No hard feelings.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #324
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

???I!!!COMPLETELY?!?DISAGREE!!!THE???PUNCTUATION!! !IS???NOTHING!!!WITHOUT???CAPSLOCK!!!

LOL???WTF???LMAO???RTFM???ROLFLMAO??? <- Don't forget these too
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #325
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
???I!!!COMPLETELY?!?DISAGREE!!!THE???PUNCTUATION!! !IS???NOTHING!!!WITHOUT???CAPSLOCK!!!

LOL???WTF???LMAO???RTFM???ROLFLMAO??? <- Don't forget these too
IMHO!!!! THIS POST IS COMPLETELY OUT OF LINE!!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #326
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
ROLFLMAO??? <- Don't forget these too
Huh? Speel that one out for me OK. I am a simple man......
__________________
SMC ( www.smc-racing.com the only place to order your batteries online.), Awesomatix, Gonzo Paints, BN Racing

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #327
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
Huh? Speel that one out for me OK. I am a simple man......
Rolling on the floor laughing my a-- off. I think he mean ROTFLMAO
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #328
Tech Elite
 
glassdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,250
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Actually you may want to take a moment to re-read the thread.

Based on your posts maybe you should have worn the helmet sorry couldnt resist. You set it up too well...
yeah... this guy shows that I knew I was setting myself up... and expected somebody to make good on it.

I don't really need to reread the thread because I was simply calling a spade a spade. Sorry I missed what safety data example you listed. So how many? There are dozens of lipo "companies" selling product. What percentage do you say have what you want?

Quote:
It's actually not a false argument to state that one way to get additional voltage performance out of a lipo is to use a more volatile chemistry. Notice I didn't say SMC was using it, just giving an additional reason to want to know more detail. And actually, I can say stuff like that.

I'm not really impressed that you buy packs with zero research beforehand. Do have the same method for the radios/servos/cars/tires/etc?
Hmm... I actually have a reputation of doing research before buying stuff (inside joke in my family) but yeah I do buy a lot of stuff without doing research because it's not always necessary or available. If I want a servo for example... I'll pick up an Ace 1313 or 1015... no need to research whether it has any documents to show me it won't fry. Sorry, I have no idea if it's safe.

If you were not aiming your statements at SMC then why did you post them here? Sure looks like you are suggesting that they must be volatile... (since you referred to SMC claims that it performs great) what else could you mean?



You guys are entertaining.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #329
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Rolling on the floor laughing my a-- off. I think he mean ROTFLMAO
damn...I just lost the internet over a typo...
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #330
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
If you were not aiming your statements at SMC then why did you post them here? Sure looks like you are suggesting that they must be volatile... (since you referred to SMC claims that it performs great) what else could you mean?



You guys are entertaining.
Either I misphrased it or you are reading too much into it. Let's try it this way: ONE way lipo cell manufacturers get better looking voltage numbers is by using a more volatile mix. Not saying SMC is using cells like this but it is one reason I'd like to see more info.

If it still sound like I'm accusing SMC of using more volatile cells to you let's just call it a day and agree we don't see things the same way.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Core RC 5000mah Lipos... Nexus Electric On-Road 615 11-05-2008 08:03 AM
SPC 3s 5000mah bobby74 Electric Off-Road 0 06-24-2008 04:18 PM
SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos Danny/SMC Electric On-Road 420 04-24-2008 03:36 AM
New SMC Lipos 7.4v 2s 4000 and 5000mah HardCase IOwNMkeG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 03-30-2008 01:54 PM
WTB 5000mah lipos (2) and a balance charger vrcoupe R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 01-29-2008 09:51 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:46 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net