R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #286
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
I rest my case.

It is the SMC LiPo thread and he asks why I am posting here. Awesome!
We also asked about 100 times how you determined the cells to be safe which you have ignored 100 times. Im sure this message will go unreplied to and ignored. Or if you do respond to it then it will be some attack at me and not answering the question about safety.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #287
Tech Regular

Too late.....I spent my Lipo money on one of those sweet Team Magic pit bags.
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:56 AM   #288
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezer2u View Post
Every time there is a lipo thread, right away there is two camps. One that is for soft lipo's and one for cased lipo's. I guess it is like insurance. Some think that you need it (hardcase) and some think you don't. (soft case) I see it as a safety issue. Maybe we don't need it but if we do, then we had better have it.
this is like seat belts or not seat belt's scenerio

many driver's in the UK created a big hoo haa about having a new law that said you must wear seat bet's in Cars & now it is a natural thing to do when you get in one ,but at the time every women,blokey,dog,cat & granny said 'i'm not wearing mine'
think 95% do now

LRP brought some soft cell li-po's out ,they didn't take off either
i don't know anyone over in the UK locally running any atall
it's all trakpower,orion,JP perkin's (all hard case)
sorry Jack for anegative post ,but it needs to be said
go back & shell it up & then loads will buy the SMC hard case ,just the way it is
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #289
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
I rest my case.

It is the SMC LiPo thread and he asks why I am posting here. Awesome!
If you left out the snarky comments, you could put everything you told us in your sig file..."Trust me, we're Bitchin!"

What else have you told us about them??????

Lipos batteries are soft and they go bad if you dent them. Pretty simple deal.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #290
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

I don't care if it has a hard case or soft case that doesn't worry me as I race offroad and my packs are encased in the chassis, but since there is no "numbers" to prove that this pack is better than the Orion packs I'm currently running and you say that I should just run them and find out how great they are myself. My only real question is how do I get a free pack to run and find out for myself? Because honestly with no proof or numbers to back it up why on earth would I spend more money on a pack that I don't even know what brand cell it uses. Unless of course you are going to send me some then more power too ya I'll take your word....

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my mailing address.

I look foward to blowing the stickers off my competition.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #291
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Wow ....... after reading this entire thread I have a few things to say. I'm appalled at the stance Jack ad Danny of SMC have taken on the responsible legit questions that have been asked. SMC has a long standing reputation and yes they do stand to loose a lot with a bad product. But answers like "You'll just have to wait and see when you get your doors blown off by an SMC lipo" or "their better, faster, have more top end or punch than the competition" or that their safe because we're SMC is not good enough for me. People on this thread posting statements like "if it has SMC on the label I know it's a good product" are irresponsible as well.

As an onroad carpet track owner that has hosted national championship events in the past there is no way that I can afford to risk allowing the use of a lipo battery that I have no clue of it's manufacturer, it's construction, chemical makeup, technical or safety data. As far as a case goes in TC racing they should be required. A dent in a soft case LiPo is enough to cause an internal short circuit that could lead to a potential LiPo melt down (fire). As a track owner this is a risk that I would like to minimize as much as possible. Hard cases offer that. At my track we are allowing LiPo this year. The rule is not an open battery rule but an approved list of batteries of which I will not be able to include the SMC on. For two reasons the lack of data on the cells and no hard case. I'm pretty sure that it will be the same rule at most of the on-road tracks in my area. As a track owner I want cells that are safe and I want to be able to verify this myself. If I allowed someone to run the SMC pack because SMC says theyíre safe and there was that freak fire incident on the carpet is SMC gona pay to repair my carpet that got burnt because they said their cells were safe? I think not.

It would be great to have another manufacture to add to our list of approved cells but until SMC can substantiate their claims on this thread with something other than words and have a hard case so that I as a track owner can make my own evaluation no one will be getting their doors blown off by an SMC LiPo pack at my track.

Danny or Jack if you have an exclusive with your supplier as you state then you should have no concern over sharing the data that we have asked for. That is unless you do have something to hide within this data. For me safety is my biggest concern and with the rash of IB sub-c cell incidents that I have seen this last year Iím not comfortable with the SMC answers on this thread. SMC is largely responsible for the widespread use of the IB cell and its continued development. Now that the IB 4300 cell has been pushed to the limit and were seeing batteries that are internally shorting and catching fire, cells exploding like shotgun shells, and brand new packs with dead cells SMC wants us to trust that their LiPo product wonít be the same. Whoís to say that this LiPo cells construction hasnít been pushed to the limits because SMC wants to sell the fastest most powerful LiPo available? We donít have any way of knowing this. SMC has already stated they are in the business to cell the fastest most powerful cells on the market but at what sacrifice? If the development of the IB 4300 is any indication to their dedication to producing the fastest most powerful cells on the market at all costs then maybe I should be concerned with the safety of an SMC lipo battery pack.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #292
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well Jack, I just read all of this thread again. I still stand by what I said. If you look at post 135 and 194, you were out of line. I would have hoped that SMC would have taken the lead with safety as their number one concern. But, given that SMC has been selling cells that have proven to explode, safety isn't a primary concern. If this was a mainstream consumer product, there would have been a recall of all the IB 4200 cells. What do you have to say about this? To come on here and say "Trust us." is ridicules.

I for one want a hard case. I believe it is just a added safety layer. Again, with all the battery failure, we need this to show that we, racers, want a safer lipo. Not one person can say that a case won't HELP to stop a puncture. If they do, they aren't being unreasonable or irrational. Being a person that owns a company that need to take safety serious, I can't understand why someone would be against a safer product. If we took that same approach with auto's, we wouldn't have airbags or seat belts. Both saves life's everyday. I'm not saying that a case will save life's, but it might stop someone from being burned on the face and having to wear scars for the rest of their lives. This is a worse case scenario, but possible.

Please tell me what the differance is in the assembly of the two packs. I don't see it.
Attached Thumbnails
SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah-smc-5000.jpg   SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah-maxamps-lipo.jpg  
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #293
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Please tell me what the differance is in the assembly of the two packs. I don't see it.
Good point. Also, show me the difference between those two packs makers policy on disclosure...
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #294
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default A word of advice to jack at smc

Jack- As this thread has gone on, your image along with your rationality has gone downhill. I wish SMC well and I hope you sell a million of the soft-shell lipos, but if the response from the posters on this thread, along with the track rules concerning LIPO, (must be in a hard shell) are any indication, you won't sell that many to racers in the tc classes.

I would suggest the following:
Reduce the price of the soft shell 5000 lipos to $135.99, and release a hard shell verson asap and sell that one for $152.99. That way, you will appease both camps and everyone will be happy. Maxamps competes with Orion/Peak on price (they are considerably cheaper.) The problem is that you chose the same strategy as maxamps, but you are not competing on price.

Personally, I would be a lot more impressed with smc if you simply say that you misread the market, and that a hard-case version will be released shortly. Everyone makes mistakes, but defending your mistakes to the end only shows that you are stubborn, and also shows other less-flattering traits.

If you are only going to rehash what has already been said (soft shell lipos look great, we are SMC, the batteries are bitchin,) just stop responding on this forum because you are only hurting SMC with your responses.

Good luck, and I hope that you will soon be selling hard-shell lipos to compete with orion/trak power/etc.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #295
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

I see 6 or 7 differences.

Last edited by Joel Lagace; 09-22-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: info
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #296
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by undark View Post
Of course they run great, they're LiPo! Even the cheap ones are pretty nice for a while.

Not true. Born2run bought some "bargain basement lipos" that he said he got 9 minutes runtime. Check the "lipo sux" thread.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!

Last edited by bxpitbull; 09-22-2007 at 06:54 PM.
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #297
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
If you left out the snarky comments, you could put everything you told us in your sig file..."Trust me, we're Bitchin!"

What else have you told us about them??????

Lipos batteries are soft and they go bad if you dent them. Pretty simple deal.

Turbo has a damn good point here. I havent run a hardcased lipo but have killed one maxamps pack. I caught a nasty patch and blam into the wall at damn near full throttle. Car was damaged and pulled from the track. After fixing the car, put the pack on the charger and it READ 8.1 volts...but gave me zero output once I hit the throttle. Makes me wonder if that were a hardcase, would it have survived??? Weirdest thing in the world to see a pack take time to charge, reads 8.3 volts on the charger and gives nothing once you turn the car on

Old 09-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #298
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace View Post
I see 6 or 7 differences.
yeah but red vs black, the label and the side the balancer exits don't count.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #299
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
yeah but red vs black, the label and the side the balancer exits don't count.
There is an area on the SMC pack that is totally exposed....

Old 09-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #300
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
There is an area on the SMC pack that is totally exposed....
good catch. I assume the bottom end of the pack is the same as well.