R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #211
Tech Regular
 
porsche928gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saginaw Texas
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
That's not the packs. Thats my voodoo
Ha,Ha........or maybe just my driving
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #212
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Its worded in a way to give the illusion (like much RC marketing) that if the pack is more then a week old you are going to get beat. The reality is people that have been using them a long time arent dropping off lap time wise in a very long time (if ever - since they havent been mainstream for too long). In the same context he talks about nimh that drop off much faster kind of giving the impression the lipo drop off will be similar. Like I said in my post Ive ran 1 pack in the same time I ran 12 packs the year before.
It is not worded like that. You are interpreting it like that. SMC has ALWAYS tried to steer the consumer in the right direction. If you knew more about our history, you might feel different about this. Over the years Danny has told racers not to buy a lot of packs because you only need 2 or 3 to race with. Our matching standards have forced other companies to abandon their misleading cell labeling systems. Dealer confidence is high in our products because we sell well-matched, reasonably priced batteries. We try to give the most updated and helpful information we can to our customers. And we stand behind our products. We have no reason or desire to mislead or dupe the consumer. That is bad business. Take a look around at a lot of the other battery companies and then look at SMC.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #213
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Jack
I don't know if the question or the answer if given was missed in all the fun so I'll ask fresh.

You say these packs offer greater performance than other lipos. Can/will you explain why?
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #214
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Just one last word of advice to SMC. Mattel and Fischer Price toys had a huge reputation at stake. They got burned by a subcontractor, have been embarassed and brought product safety to the forefront of everyones mind. Since then they have shared all kinds of data about the methodology for testing, etc to ease the concerns of the consumers. When people want to learn more about the safety of a product and you ignore it and say well it performs well that is going to raise caution flags. It has for me. Im not saying your product is bad or unsafe b/c I would have no way of knowing. But I also have no way of knowing that it is safe or that I was comfortable with your methodology of determining it was safe. Forgive me for wanting to protect my family and my belongings. If your product really does blow the stickers off the other cars then Im going to want it, but not at the risk of safety.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #215
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche928gs View Post
Ha,Ha........or maybe just my driving
Youre right, probably your driving
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #216
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
It is not worded like that. You are interpreting it like that. SMC has ALWAYS tried to steer the consumer in the right direction. If you knew more about our history, you might feel different about this. Over the years Danny has told racers not to buy a lot of packs because you only need 2 or 3 to race with. Our matching standards have forced other companies to abandon their misleading cell labeling systems. Dealer confidence is high in our products because we sell well-matched, reasonably priced batteries. We try to give the most updated and helpful information we can to our customers. And we stand behind our products. We have no reason or desire to mislead or dupe the consumer. That is bad business. Take a look around at a lot of the other battery companies and then look at SMC.
I'll trust that he didnt mean it like that. But me and at least two other people have interpretted it that way.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #217
Tech Master
 
Mr. McGoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,695
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
A note to all the haters: despite your efforts to discredit or otherwise demean our company, we are selling these packs at a much better rate than we anticipated. Perhaps I should thank all of you for the unintended exposure you have given us. Your negativity and general malice towards SMC seems to have increased the interest in our line. Thanks!
7 pages in 2 days of the same stuff we have seen argued again and again (usually by the same peeps)!!! I guess what they say is true....any publicity is good publicity.....

keep up the good work.....
__________________
XRAY | RCAMERICA | HUDY | Team Tamale
Mr. McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #218
Tech Regular
 
porsche928gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saginaw Texas
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Forgive me for wanting to protect my family and my belongings. If your product really does blow the stickers off the other cars then Im going to want it, but not at the risk of safety.
I think it will be wise to buy a fire proof box to store the batteries inside the house....just in case
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #219
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo View Post
7 pages in 2 days of the same stuff we have seen argued again and again (usually by the same peeps)!!! I guess what they say is true....any publicity is good publicity.....

keep up the good work.....
Well he did say he was enjoying it. Now everyone sees why.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #220
Suspended
 
Ass Toot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
A note to all the haters: despite your efforts to discredit or otherwise demean our company, we are selling these packs at a much better rate than we anticipated. Perhaps I should thank all of you for the unintended exposure you have given us. Your negativity and general malice towards SMC seems to have increased the interest in our line. Thanks!
Do you enjoy being this smarmy?
Ass Toot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #221
Tech Elite
 
glassdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,250
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Wow you onroad guys do argue like grade schoolers, my goodness.... did you ALL own a copy of "101 Insults" ???

Peace out on road dudes.... back to civilization (electric offroad forum) for a while... I'll check back on you first graders soon, LOL...
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #222
Tech Regular
 
porsche928gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saginaw Texas
Posts: 381
Default

Come on let's hold hands together and sing...........Kum ba yah, my Lord, Kum ba yah, Kum ba yah, my Lord, Kum ba yah Kum ba yah, my Lord, Kum ba yah Oh Lord,
Kum ba yah.
http://www.easyweigh.com/kumbaya.htm

Last edited by porsche928gs; 09-20-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: link
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #223
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Shouldnt we all sit around the lipo fire as we sing it? er I mean camp fire.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #224
Tech Regular
 
porsche928gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saginaw Texas
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Shouldnt we all sit around the lipo fire as we sing it? er I mean camp fire.
lmao..............good one!.....
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #225
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orbital gun
Posts: 92
Default

Now that I've had time to sleep on this thread, I'll try to come in here with a clear head. I apologize if I traded too many barbs yesterday, I really did mean it in good fun, and thought it was good-natured. Except for Adrian, his R/C Illuminati routine is so tired...

Anyway, here it goes:

I love the fact that a respected company like SMC is entering the LiPo game.

I love the fact that Jack has thick skin, and will get in here and mix it up with the rest of us. Thank you for not being overly PC, I think I actually like SMC and Jaco more today than I did last week.

I hate the fact that people are trying to downplay or naysay the need for hard cases in sedans. All little arguments aside, this is a very important issue that needs to be worked out. Maybe soft cells are okay in off-road, but most sedans are no place for a fragile, volatile battery.

I dislike the fact that SMC doesn't disclose its cell source. However, this is actually the norm, not the exception, and there are good business arguments against it, so I can live with it. It would be nice if they provided some data on their cells at least, beyond just telling us they're great.

I like the fact that we're not hearing anything about matching or zapping LiPo. I figured if anybody would do it, it would be SMC. I wish EddieO were here to see it.

I strongly dislike the fact that Jack and Danny are downplaying the virtues of LiPo (cycle life, consistency, etc.) and trying to lead us to believe that we'll need new LiPo every few weeks. I realize it's your business to sell as many batteries as possible, but it sure feels like you guys are trying to force LiPo to be like NiMH. Many of us remain unconvinced.

I like to see guys like Rick Hohwart and Josh Cyrul talk up LiPo. They have got to be two of the "pros" that do the most for R/C outside of just racing.

I hate the apparent disdain toward informed consumers, even going to far as to question the credibility of some. There are privateers on this very forum that have spread more valuable information than all of the companies combined. That makes guys like Adrian look like real d.bags. LiPo is big business outside of R/C, and the information is available to anybody willing to do their research.

I hate the fact that most LiPo supporters hurt the cause more than help it. I have tried very hard in this thread to avoid that, and hope others will do the same. Many of you are being baited into this behavior by people that don't care about or against LiPo entirely. It makes it really easy for people to focus only on the negativity, and dismiss the LiPo crowd as malcontents, or haters.

And lastly... did I mention I love the fact that SMC is throwing their hat in the ring? We're mostly on the same team now, and can eventually work together to learn, and share our experiences.
__________________
rain in our room
undark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Core RC 5000mah Lipos... Nexus Electric On-Road 615 11-05-2008 08:03 AM
SPC 3s 5000mah bobby74 Electric Off-Road 0 06-24-2008 04:18 PM
SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos Danny/SMC Electric On-Road 420 04-24-2008 03:36 AM
New SMC Lipos 7.4v 2s 4000 and 5000mah HardCase IOwNMkeG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 03-30-2008 01:54 PM
WTB 5000mah lipos (2) and a balance charger vrcoupe R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 01-29-2008 09:51 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:56 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net