R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #136
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
How about...wrong! Please refrain from posting innacurate speculation. I have never heard of "Wath". Your credibility has just been eliminated. I thought you just misspelled "what".
Read a little closer. He's stating what he thought the broken english actually said. Not what he actually thinks.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #137
Tech Master
 
bigemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: hamilton, oh
Posts: 1,750
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
Bigmike, I don't know how else to say this again, nimh cells are in a STEEL TUBE, they don't need a plastic case around them. Your argument doesn't make any sense. Exposed lipos are protected by SHRINK WRAP and FOIL. Batteries in cordless phones are protected by the Phone, and the li-ion batteries in phones are still in a plastic case. Airplanes and helicopters are in an environment where every gram counts because they are FLYING, plus unless you crash, I don't think another plane will sideswipe your plane.
I know exactly how lipos are constructed. You can encase them however you want, but foild and shrink wrap is fine for me. do you think an exposed sub-c is actually protected with that extremely thin slightly thicker than foil case they are in. I have seen nimh damaged from impact, so if you get hit that hard or wreck that bad, you might tear up anything. I personally have never had that problem, and I am willing to take the chance.
__________________
No sponsors. Love TLR, OS and Futaba though
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #138
Tech Master
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,264
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default steel vs foil and heat shrink

Bigmike- You aren't comparing STEEL to shrink wrap and foil are you? It takes a big hit to dent a nimh cell, in that same accident, what will be left of the soft cased lipo-> at $120-$150 per pack. Just because soft cased lipo's are good enough for you, that isn't an endorsement of them for anyone other than you.

SMC- So danny from smc wasn't on rctech.net downplaying lipo's? I know you bought a majority in smc, but the fact remains, SMC's (not your other companies) bread and butter is matching and selling sub-c cells.

My point is that orion/peak have a track record in LIPO and DISCLOSE which cells they use. You don't have a LIPO track record and won't disclose which cells you use, other than to imply (not state) that the cells you are using are expensive.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #139
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mt. Holly, NC
Posts: 1,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Craps, I love what you're doing with the enduros but I gotta tell you - the fact that even when you are trying to be reasonable you can't layoff insulting others really gets old.

I have never once called you careless, ill-informed or even retarded. The fact that I have chosen Orion packs in no way means that either I am paranoid or you are a careless retard.
Sure you can choose the Orion packs because of past preference in preformance if the paranoia label does not apply, but please don't try to make rules to ban the type of battery I choose to race with!

Again the Hardcase should be a USER OPTION and NOT A RULE!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #140
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Read a little closer. He's stating what he thought the broken english actually said. Not what he actually thinks.
I am referring to the original post. Sorry, undark. I should have quoted the original one.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #141
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orbital gun
Posts: 92
Default

I believe Danny also said they would zap and match LiPo just like they do with NiMH. :-)

I'm not going to hold that against them, though, I'm just glad to see a major player getting involved.
__________________
rain in our room
undark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #142
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
Sure you can choose the Orion packs because of past preference in preformance if the paranoia label does not apply, but please don't try to make rules to ban the type of battery I choose to race with!

Again the Hardcase should be a USER OPTION and NOT A RULE!
Deal, I haven't and won't promote rule changes for either. I think the clubs can and will decide that for themselves. As always though I will not recommend anything less if the subject comes up. I think we've been causing more damage to the overall cause by all the bickering that happens and I've been putting the effort in to choose my words carefully.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #143
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orbital gun
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
I think we've been causing more damage to the overall cause by all the bickering that happens and I've been putting the effort in to choose my words carefully.
I just got off the phone with Guinness about the use of my backspace key today.
__________________
rain in our room
undark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #144
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
Bigmike- You aren't comparing STEEL to shrink wrap and foil are you? It takes a big hit to dent a nimh cell, in that same accident, what will be left of the soft cased lipo-> at $120-$150 per pack. Just because soft cased lipo's are good enough for you, that isn't an endorsement of them for anyone other than you.

SMC- So danny from smc wasn't on rctech.net downplaying lipo's? I know you bought a majority in smc, but the fact remains, SMC's (not your other companies) bread and butter is matching and selling sub-c cells.

My point is that orion/peak have a track record in LIPO and DISCLOSE which cells they use. You don't have a LIPO track record and won't disclose which cells you use, other than to imply (not state) that the cells you are using are expensive.
I'm not sure why we would disclose a source to the public we spent over a year trying to find, that makes batteries we feel are some of the best available. If this makes you uncomfortable, run something else and leave it alone.
The guidelines for getting LiPO products into the distributors has become very stringent. We have to submit all of this data to them or they will not even look at our line. They evaluate the data from the manufacturer and if it is satisfactory, they sell our line. If not, they tell us to get lost. We have passed these evaluations with no issues.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #145
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
I'm not sure why we would disclose a source to the public we spent over a year trying to find, that makes batteries we feel are some of the best available. If this makes you uncomfortable, run something else and leave it alone.
OK then. I wish you good luck with this new battery and I will leave it at that.

Last edited by kuzo; 09-19-2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: sPEeling porBlems
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #146
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: orbital gun
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
I'm not sure why we would disclose a source to the public we spent over a year trying to find, that makes batteries we feel are some of the best available. If this makes you uncomfortable, run something else and leave it alone.
The guidelines for getting LiPO products into the distributors has become very stringent. We have to submit all of this data to them or they will not even look at our line. They evaluate the data from the manufacturer and if it is satisfactory, they sell our line. If not, they tell us to get lost. We have passed these evaluations with no issues.
Good luck with the new batteries. Get those team guys to tell everybody how much they love LiPo. :-)
__________________
rain in our room
undark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #147
Tech Adept
 
RobertV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nor*Cal
Posts: 244
Default


BEWARE THE RCTECH INTERNET LIPO POLICE!


How DARE you release a product before checking with them first.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #148
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

EDIT: Nevermind I caught up on the thread and saw this was already addressed
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #149
Tech Elite
 
ChrisP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 2,046
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

He already clarified...he was referring to the other guy...
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #150
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Him. I am saying he is wrong and should not post untruthful information.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Core RC 5000mah Lipos... Nexus Electric On-Road 615 11-05-2008 08:03 AM
SPC 3s 5000mah bobby74 Electric Off-Road 0 06-24-2008 04:18 PM
SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos Danny/SMC Electric On-Road 420 04-24-2008 03:36 AM
New SMC Lipos 7.4v 2s 4000 and 5000mah HardCase IOwNMkeG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 03-30-2008 01:54 PM
WTB 5000mah lipos (2) and a balance charger vrcoupe R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 01-29-2008 09:51 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:21 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net