R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #91
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

You have a valid point on the dangers of our Hobby, and how racing pushes the limits, but I think that is for another thread, as readers get pulled into the sensational topic, that they just know it will start the well known Lipo lovers on thier rant and roll.

The previous direction of this thread was not constructive.





Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
From what I remember, previous threads never really touched on "pushing your equipment to its limits for performance edge vs toning it down if it gets dangerous" aspects. It's a viable discussion on the hazards of our hobby and what risks we are willing to take in the name of performance.

If you feel I'm wrong, I'll be glad to bow out and leave this alone.
__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #92
Tech Fanatic
 
Scrubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 834
Default

It will be intresting to see when lipo eventually becomes the legal norm for racing. Then all the racers that are blowing up Nimh will be finding intresting means to blow up Lipo's.

I suppose that is nature of competitive people who are willing to take things to the limit for performance. I doubt that competitive nature will go away with a different battery technology.
Scrubb is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #93
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
You have a valid point on the dangers of our Hobby, and how racing pushes the limits, but I think that is for another thread, as readers get pulled into the sensational topic, that they just know it will start the well known Lipo lovers on thier rant and roll.

The previous direction of this thread was not constructive.
Well, I am a pretty well known lipo lover. I guess that tells me where I stand.

I'll leave with this. I treat my batteries, lipo or otherwise, with the caution required to use them safely. The fact that others are willing to risk injuring others in their pursuit of any slight edge is reprehensible. If I was charging my lipo next to your table at 3C because I was in a hurry I would and should be thrown out of that track. I and my kids have to pit next to you guys too. Denial of problems with NiMH or understating them are not going to solve anything.
kuzo is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #94
Tech Master
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Kuzo, I am right there with you. Just because I can do something, doesnt mean I have....at least not on a regular basis to push my stuff to the brink of collapse. With lipos, the warning and writing was on the wall from minute go. With the wave of brushless motors to compliment the power of lipo, balls to the wall gearing and charging at a ga-zillion amps seems almost unnecessary. Josh, this isnt a "nimh vs lipo" thread, its just folks stating that maybe it is time to re-evaulate some structure in regards to charging sub c's.
__________________
R40-Pondering a new Red Dot
Hara Pro4-GTB/3.5/Max Amps-yea.
Pondering moving on to Xray-have to go with a winner. If you cant beat em, join em!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 PM   #95
Tech Elite
 
macnkitty2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 4,920
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

i don't want to have to start handing out AK-47s here, because this thread needs to cool off. the last few posts are right, we just need to reevaluate the safe procedures to charging and caring for sub-c cells.
__________________
Team Associated RC10B4.2
Losi Rock Rey
macnkitty2002 is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #96
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,769
Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
Since I have gone Lipo, I have never gone higher than the manufacture recommended charge rates. And the good thing about lipo, you can charge in advance, touch it on the charger and its ready to rock. Its low internal resistance doesnt fall off if left unattended for weeks like nimh. So weigh the facts:

Charge your lipo pack(s) the night before
Check before you leave the house
Charge at recommended rate because it hasnt trailed off by more than .10 volts, which is nothing
Run your race(s)
Perform minimal maintennace on your brushless set-up car, check for tweaks
Put your other lipo pack on the charger which is pretty much full, might need all of 10 minutes of charging at recommended amperage
Tape into car....RACE!

Charge your sub c packs the night before
Hit them with high amp rates because they can "withstand it" before your race
Hope they dont get too hot and vent
Run your race
Perform maintennance on your car. More than likely, you still run brushed, touch the comm, check for tweaks
Put your fresh pack on the charger. Low internal resistance with Nimh, it has trailed off, so you have to hit it with heavy amps to get it ready for the race. Oh, you have to do this because the other pack cant take a charge for awhile because they are still too hot from the last race.
Hope they (the fresh pack) dont vent. Yes, they are hot, strap em into your car.
Race....

Do you sub c people see the danger (hypocrisy) in all of this?!?!?!?!?


If this isn't lipo vs nimh....why is every other post have something to say about lipo
Josh Hohnstein is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #97
Tech Master
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Josh, only because I dont like you, will I go there. This thread is about the dangers that are becoming more prevelant as sub c's get up there in mah. It isnt about which is better. It went there when "imprsme" posted that intentionally overcharged lipo battery to "defend the honor" of sub c. If I get to level the advantage of charging lipo ahead of time and not have to hit it with a gazillion amps b4 a race, I will. WE LIPO users even suggested that maybe just MAYBE the sanctioning bodies should review the policies on charging and handling the higher rated sub c's like they do lipo AND THEN there would be a possibility the sub c projectile threads we see every week might ease up.
__________________
R40-Pondering a new Red Dot
Hara Pro4-GTB/3.5/Max Amps-yea.
Pondering moving on to Xray-have to go with a winner. If you cant beat em, join em!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #98
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,769
Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal View Post
These kinds of posts, threads, articles, blog entries, and so on in other industries are referred to as intentionally spreading FUD: fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Fear because the intent is to scare people.

Uncertainty because the target audience is assumed to have relatively limited knowledge about the inner machinations of the subject, and thus are assumed to be highly susceptible to this type of propaganda.

Doubt because the ultimate goal is to get the consumer to doubt the product.

In other words, it's not much different than information terrorism. To get people all riled up and fearful about technology.


First of all......the above quote is exactly what this thread is about.
Second........it pains me to know that you don't like me and if I had feelings they would definitly be hurt.

People ignored your lipo is better threads so now its nimh is dangerous

Give it up...everybody knows your a fool......you don't have to keep proving it.
Josh Hohnstein is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #99
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

I thought lipo batteries were only for rc airplanes ?
wallstreet is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #100
Tech Master
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Josh, only because I have received warnings, will I not go there. You say I'm a fool, and trust me you, its one less insult that means zip to me. But, if you were such a smart guy, you would have clearly seen that I didnt start this thread. AND, just for the sake of whatever, I am not going to get combative because the fact remains quite obvious...many people are starting to notice the dangers of higher mah sub c's. Period.
__________________
R40-Pondering a new Red Dot
Hara Pro4-GTB/3.5/Max Amps-yea.
Pondering moving on to Xray-have to go with a winner. If you cant beat em, join em!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #101
Tech Elite
 
macnkitty2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 4,920
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
__________________
Team Associated RC10B4.2
Losi Rock Rey
macnkitty2002 is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #102
Tech Master
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkitty2002 View Post
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
Josh used to get under my skin like a sand flea, but he doesnt have a leg to stand on this time. Sub c's and charge rates might need to be revised to ensure safety. Just like lipo. This isnt an instance of one being better than the other.
__________________
R40-Pondering a new Red Dot
Hara Pro4-GTB/3.5/Max Amps-yea.
Pondering moving on to Xray-have to go with a winner. If you cant beat em, join em!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #103
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

lipos are dangerous too


One time i was watching a rc airplane race and a lipo fell out of the plane and cracked a guy in the head..


Thats dangerous
wallstreet is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #104
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

But i agree with you pitbull


if it were a sub c pack it would have hurt the guy ever worse.....
wallstreet is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #105
Tech Master
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
But i agree with you pitbull


if it were a sub c pack it would have hurt the guy ever worse.....
it would have because sub c's are heavier
__________________
R40-Pondering a new Red Dot
Hara Pro4-GTB/3.5/Max Amps-yea.
Pondering moving on to Xray-have to go with a winner. If you cant beat em, join em!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVK5908 Velociti Nickel Plated Sintered Rotor baj2374 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 05-08-2008 01:48 PM
WTB around 6 or seven nickel batteries mwd246232 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 01-20-2008 12:00 PM
Quick Charging a 3PK Nickel Cadmium Battery Mpowerz Nitro Off-Road 7 01-15-2008 08:06 PM
Dangerous Nickel Batteries!!! Craps Electric Off-Road 41 09-18-2007 10:15 AM
Nickel Oxy Hydroxide Batteries? Johnathan Rookie Zone 5 08-02-2006 05:40 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net