R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #31
Tech Elite
 
theisgroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,191
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr View Post
dam!!! Novak should cover teh costs of teh system forsure and the guys car any anything else that went poof with it! did he have it on the right settings and crap?
the guy ran it all day saturday.
__________________
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
not really sure but i know he only made a few laps and was running 5 cells!!
Well that must be the problem. I told you 5 cell racing was risky. Since your cells aren't matched up in happy pairs the 5th loner goes ballistic and takes something out.

In all seriousness though I'll repeat - holy crap! I hope someone finds out what happened and lets us know.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #33
Tech Elite
 
SWTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Coast...CALIF.
Posts: 2,874
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

...we've seen at least 3-4 of the NEW spectrum w/ lipo cut off GTB's go up in smoke in just the past few weeks. NOVAK has done a good job of taking care of them...but, is there a problem?

I'd bet NOVAK is looking hard this....meanwhile, these guys went to the older style GTB's.
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #34
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 1,041
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Wow! I'm glad I bought the LRP TC!
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #35
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,000
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
...we've seen at least 3-4 of the NEW spectrum w/ lipo cut off GTB's go up in smoke in just the past few weeks. NOVAK has done a good job of taking care of them...but, is there a problem?

I'd bet NOVAK is looking hard this....meanwhile, these guys went to the older style GTB's.
ran mine without any problems with the Orion 4800's and a 3.5 and 4.5 motor. What motors and batteries were these guys running?
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic
 
tdeal823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West, Ohio
Posts: 951
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

This senerio is something that i talked to a lrp/ae tech about.
For some reason the bl stuff does not like the Spektrum stuff.
It has to do with the voltage draw from the spektrum. Spektrum receivers require more voltage and it messes with the esc's.
According to LRP the new TC Spec was tested alot with the spektrum and nomando radio systems and have found very few radio and esc glitches with their new TC Spec esc.

This is not info direct from me! This is what i was told from a tech at LRP.

good luck everyone
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #37
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,000
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I have all spektrum stuff in my cars
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #38
Tech Elite
 
rocketron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: palm desert
Posts: 2,266
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeal823 View Post
According to LRP the new TC Spec was tested alot with the spektrum and nomando radio systems and have found very few radio and esc glitches with their new TC Spec esc.
Most of this testing was done with the Spektrum micro reciever. The micro requires less current to operate. If your using the larger Spektrum receiver that supports telemetry then you may still have momentary problems.

Install a capacitor when you experience short brown outs. If the problem goes away then you know what the problem is.

This is all documented and the use of capacitors in the Spektrum thread.
__________________
- SchuurSpeed - 6X ROAR National Stock Champion
- Hobbywing North America Team Manager
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #39
Tech Regular
 
porsche928gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saginaw Texas
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittjv View Post
Wow! I'm glad I bought the LRP TC!
Not sure about that. I've seen them go up in smoke
porsche928gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #40
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: All 48 states...
Posts: 2,053
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Not to scare anyone away from bl I have run them all. Novak is the fastest in my book but I have had the most problems with the GTB then any other. The 160 thermal shutdown I thnk is way too low a temp. STLNLST....what proile do you run your Novak on? Reaon Iasked is I ran the 3.5 on a Xray EU geared 116/18 and thermaled left and right. I thought it was the drag brake I had in it so I took it out completely and still thermalled. Any advise here?
__________________
Schuurspeed / Aero-model / Gear One / LG1
www.OHRCR.com
Gitsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic
 
tdeal823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West, Ohio
Posts: 951
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
Most of this testing was done with the Spektrum micro reciever. The micro requires less current to operate. If your using the larger Spektrum receiver that supports telemetry then you may still have momentary problems.

Install a capacitor when you experience short brown outs. If the problem goes away then you know what the problem is.

This is all documented and the use of capacitors in the Spektrum thread.
Are you talking about the 3500 micro reciever?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spektrum-Receive...QQcmdZViewItem

is this the capasitor for the larger recievers?
thanks
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #42
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,000
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitsum View Post
Not to scare anyone away from bl I have run them all. Novak is the fastest in my book but I have had the most problems with the GTB then any other. The 160 thermal shutdown I thnk is way too low a temp. STLNLST....what proile do you run your Novak on? Reaon Iasked is I ran the 3.5 on a Xray EU geared 116/18 and thermaled left and right. I thought it was the drag brake I had in it so I took it out completely and still thermalled. Any advise here?
profile one is all that I run. I adjust the drag brake from time to time and the min drive. This is all on the spread spektrum. On the regular GTB all I would adjust was the drag brake. If you have a heavy throtle finger then the thermal issues will be there due to the on and off repeated trigger pulling.....and gearing is important. Before the fire how long would you get before it would thermal?
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #43
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr View Post
To be honest, Around these parts, you HAVE to run the Novak 13.5 and 10.5's around here. So running a LRP ESC with them is pointless, because a LRP and a Novak motor, the motor will not thermal, so you coudl potentialy burn your motor up
Have you heard of, gear it conservatively? I mean, the people with thermal problems are the ones over geared trying to get every last bit of it out.... Some people go faster with it over geared, but they can also drive very smooth, and dont have heat issues........ I have used the novak 13.5 and the orion 10.5, just start it off geared higher then what everyone says, and then gear down till its running in the 160 range......

Just IMO.... But if you can afford to go BL, you can afford 10 bucks or less for pinions and spurs to gear it down.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
this happend to a fellow racer this past weekend



Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
profile one is all that I run. I adjust the drag brake from time to time and the min drive. This is all on the spread spektrum. On the regular GTB all I would adjust was the drag brake. If you have a heavy throtle finger then the thermal issues will be there due to the on and off repeated trigger pulling.....and gearing is important. Before the fire how long would you get before it would thermal?

And Clint isnt stupid guys.... He knows what he is talking about..
__________________
R1 Wurks/Awesomatix USA/Roche USA/Protoform/Solaris/Mo Speed/Speedworld Raceway
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #44
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,214
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder View Post
"Fellow Racer"? Fess up Marcos. Just messing with you.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #45
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: All 48 states...
Posts: 2,053
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
profile one is all that I run. I adjust the drag brake from time to time and the min drive. This is all on the spread spektrum. On the regular GTB all I would adjust was the drag brake. If you have a heavy throtle finger then the thermal issues will be there due to the on and off repeated trigger pulling.....and gearing is important. Before the fire how long would you get before it would thermal?

That wasnt my GTB that caught fire....lol...I did blow up a motor but I was still running the old rotor. With the 116/18 gearing I thermaled at the 4.5 min mark. So I was lose but wasnt really satisfied with not having to use drag brake which fits my driving style a bit better.
__________________
Schuurspeed / Aero-model / Gear One / LG1
www.OHRCR.com
Gitsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Castle Creations MAMBA COMP X brushless system and 6800 brushless system for sale Ron Meloni R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 15 03-31-2008 04:32 PM
Brushless system hotcakes R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 03-23-2008 10:00 AM
NOVAK 3.5R Brushless System - LRP 3.5 Brushless System - 3.5 BL paul73rc Australia Wanted to Buy 4 01-02-2008 06:26 AM
wtb Brushless system, radio system, servos dorick R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 05-21-2007 03:41 PM
Best brushed system & best brushless system <$250 Wildewinds Electric On-Road 2 09-11-2004 05:58 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:40 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net