R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #16
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 3,940
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

It all depends on the type of sponsorhip you're looking for...Are you looking for a full sponsorship or a discount type sponsorship? If you're looking for the full sponsorship you have to prove yourself by being able to compete at the national level. Most of the fully sponsored racers whether they race stock or mod have proven they can constantly compete at the big events. All I can say is right now at your age focus on learning how to tune a car, tune a motor and hone your driving skills. You also need to make sure you have decent equipment as well as batteries and motors which can be bought over the counter. Eventually, if you become good your results will start to speak for you and sponsors will come looking for you. Set some goals to win at the local level, then maybe at the regional level and then of course the national level.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #17
Tech Master
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,264
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default getting sponsored at 11

This topic does come around once a month. All racers want to be sponsored. AND if the current climate of every other racer being sponsored somehow (25%, 50%, 75%, full, etc.) holds true, I am sure you will get sponsored soon enough.

I do have a question. If companies sponsor drivers to help sell their products, how will an 11 year old help them? It seems to me that a company will sell more product if a racer sees that another sponsored racer like themselves is winning with their product. In r/c, the way racers are alike is in age or experience racing. An 11 year old that wins will be seen as a natural talent who could win with anything. I seriously doubt they will help sell much product. Of course companies will line up to sponsor them, because if they stick with r/c, they will help when they are much older. But how will they help to sell product at 11?

A sponsored racer is also seen as the face of that company. In this area, the r/c racer demographic is trending older every year. How many 20-30 year olds will ask an 11 year for advice, or even listen if that advice is given. Again back to the natural talent point above. Hell, I will bet that an 11 year old ace will drive some much older racers out of racing.

And before anyone questions my motives in making these points, I am 34, don't race enough, am not good enough, and wouldn't accept a sponsorship from anyone unless there were no strings attached (if anyone ever offered me a sponsorship, which they wouldn't.)

Last edited by billjacobs; 09-16-2007 at 04:17 PM.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #18
Tech Master
 
sportpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,314
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Cleavage....big bubbly cleavage.
__________________
-Tamiya TA05-R - Tamiya M05 - Summit Raceway Ft. Wayne, IN

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #19
Tech Regular
 
RandomFellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Plymouth, MI
Posts: 311
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
I do have a question. If companies sponsor drivers to help sell their products, how will an 11 year old help them? It seems to me that a company will sell more product if a racer sees that another sponsored racer like themselves is winning with their product. In r/c, the way racers are alike is in age or experience racing. An 11 year old that wins will be seen as a natural talent who could win with anything. I seriously doubt they will help sell much product. Of course companies will line up to sponsor them, because if they stick with r/c, they will help when they are much older. But how will they help to sell product at 11?
Not sure, but don't tell that to Losi and Dakotah Phend.
RandomFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #20
Tech Master
 
sportpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,314
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I watched Dakota twice this summer at my home track. That little dude tears it up. He was dying to hit our big triple, but it was touchy that day, breaking a bunch of cars. His mom was telling him to stay smart and double-single. With everyone going big and getting huge air around him, he kept it double-single and ended up winning almost every class stock and mod. Kid is great to watch.

Ben
__________________
-Tamiya TA05-R - Tamiya M05 - Summit Raceway Ft. Wayne, IN

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #21
Tech Regular
 
RandomFellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Plymouth, MI
Posts: 311
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

It is kinda wierd how Losi has recruited some top unsigned names out of SE Michigan (Josh Cyrul, Adam Drake, Al Horne, Dakotah Phend, and many others). I wonder if certain areas of the country are more closely watched by certain companies?
RandomFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 AM   #22
Tech Elite
 
Joel Lagace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,628
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=TCRacer101;3675702]Thanks guys..... I race at CEFX & I might even go to the nats where ever they are. I started racing when i was 8.......now i'm 11.
Anything else?
______________________________
[QUOTE]



Hang on a second i missed this!! You already have 100% sponsorship. IT includes,housing,meals,clothing,transportation,hea lth coverage,dental..... need i go on? LOL

Living at home and your parents have had u in racing since you where 8? Wow a few thank-you's to mom and dad are in order. Why would u possibly need sponsorship ???

I know its kool to be sponsored and all the older racers have some deal. Believe me you should take pride in racing on your own dime for as long as your parents let you. Do well and get noticed on and off the track for your good driving and sportsmanship.

Sponsorship should not be the goal of rc racing, fun should be. But if your good enough and are a good sport one day you may get sponsored. But it should never be your goal in life.
__________________
"Without Rules its just Backyard Bashing!"
www.rcottawa.com
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 AM   #23
Tech Elite
 
hyper7vspec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Adelaide , South Australia
Posts: 2,528
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hyper7vspec
Default

Quote:
Hi, I'm wondering how do I get a sponsor?
If you are good enough people will take notice,Winning at club level consistently would be a good start.The idea behind a 'sponsorship' is for the driver to promote their sponsors product as best they can,This means being well presented on and off the track,not only being a good driver but also helping and supporting other racers.

Most sponsorships are only discount deals but the super quick and well presented racers get a factory deal,these are few and far between.In most cases it is not what your sponsor can give you but what you can do for them.


Quote:
Do I strictly have to use their products?
Maybe you dont quite understand the concept just yet.Say Team associated was supplying you with their cars to race.How do you think they would feel if you showed up at a National race with a losi car?Of course you must use there products,this means if they are supplying you cars u must use there cars exclusively,Unless there are prior agreements.


Hope this info has helped you
Cheers
__________________
-Andrew Foord- Thanks to all of my sponsors!

TLR - OMP/Modelflight - Orion - Proline - Nitrolux Fuel - Savox - HobbyWing - RCRS.com.au - Schelle - NVision - Ace Hobbies
hyper7vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #24
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

First, if you have to ask how to get sponsored then you probably arent ready to be sponsored. Secondly, I dont understand why people want to get sponsored. Is the discount really worth it? Im sure its a drop in the bucket relative to all the other costs. Third, this is a hobby, hobbies are meant to be fun. Lastly, sponsorships are killing the hobby in my opinion.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:06 AM   #25
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 232
Default

  1. Have fun
  2. Get a job
  3. if your good they will find you
  4. have fun
  5. work
  6. do well in school so your not flipping burgers for the rest of your life
  7. have fun
microcrazy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #26
Tech Addict
 
TCRacer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan USA
Posts: 678
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TCRacer101
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
This topic does come around once a month. All racers want to be sponsored. AND if the current climate of every other racer being sponsored somehow (25%, 50%, 75%, full, etc.) holds true, I am sure you will get sponsored soon enough.

I do have a question. If companies sponsor drivers to help sell their products, how will an 11 year old help them? It seems to me that a company will sell more product if a racer sees that another sponsored racer like themselves is winning with their product. In r/c, the way racers are alike is in age or experience racing. An 11 year old that wins will be seen as a natural talent who could win with anything. I seriously doubt they will help sell much product. Of course companies will line up to sponsor them, because if they stick with r/c, they will help when they are much older. But how will they help to sell product at 11?

A sponsored racer is also seen as the face of that company. In this area, the r/c racer demographic is trending older every year. How many 20-30 year olds will ask an 11 year for advice, or even listen if that advice is given. Again back to the natural talent point above. Hell, I will bet that an 11 year old ace will drive some much older racers out of racing.

And before anyone questions my motives in making these points, I am 34, don't race enough, am not good enough, and wouldn't accept a sponsorship from anyone unless there were no strings attached (if anyone ever offered me a sponsorship, which they wouldn't.)
Say.............if I beat a 29 year old I might get some looks(and embarrass the other guy)from company reps. I also want to go pro, but right now I just need to have fun and practice.. I should also thank Josh for holding races.
TCRacer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #27
Tech Addict
 
TCRacer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan USA
Posts: 678
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TCRacer101
Default

[QUOTE=Joel Lagace;3678974][QUOTE=TCRacer101;3675702]Thanks guys..... I race at CEFX & I might even go to the nats where ever they are. I started racing when i was 8.......now i'm 11.
Anything else?
______________________________
Quote:



Hang on a second i missed this!! You already have 100% sponsorship. IT includes,housing,meals,clothing,transportation,hea lth coverage,dental..... need i go on? LOL

Living at home and your parents have had u in racing since you where 8? Wow a few thank-you's to mom and dad are in order. Why would u possibly need sponsorship ???

I know its kool to be sponsored and all the older racers have some deal. Believe me you should take pride in racing on your own dime for as long as your parents let you. Do well and get noticed on and off the track for your good driving and sportsmanship.

Sponsorship should not be the goal of rc racing, fun should be. But if your good enough and are a good sport one day you may get sponsored. But it should never be your goal in life.
.............good point! All I should do is focus on getting better, school and
HAVING FUN! I'm very committed to R/C racing, so I wont leave don't worry.
TCRacer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #28
Tech Addict
 
TCRacer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan USA
Posts: 678
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TCRacer101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny View Post
Dude, you are 11... How about learning to have fun in this HOBBY first... 9 out of 10 kids hit 16 discover real cars, get a GF and never come back to the hobby....
........................................... .................................................. .......................dude.............I'm that remaining 1 kid.
TCRacer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #29
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 227
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TurboT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRacer101 View Post
........................................... .................................................. .......................dude.............I'm that remaining 1 kid.

Lol!
__________________
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Exotek
TurboT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #30
Tech Elite
 
RCSteve93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,601
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRacer101 View Post
........................................... .................................................. .......................dude.............I'm that remaining 1 kid.
Same. 14, addicted to RC and single.

Also, about the whole thing with the older guys not listening to the younger guys... True. I have found, the adults won't come to ask you for help until they have asked all the other adults and they don't have an answer. But, in many cases I do get alot of questions from my peers and some people stopping by and checking out the track. I am extremely close to being on the level with some of the fast guys at the track. I am on average, about .1 to .3 seconds away from the fast guys. The new kids see me, and would rather ask me for help, instead of the adults because I am their age and am a decent driver and won't have a problem stopping what I am doing to help them out. Also another thing that helps is your attitude. When I am at the track, some of the other kids are in their pits playing iPods and messing around with each others cars and trash talking. See, would a company want a kid they sponsor running around, stealing other people's car bodies, cursing, trash talking and blasting offensive music at the track. NO. You have to be professional. I run the practice at my local track, and one time one kid wanted to turn the PA system on to do karaoke. He is my age, and I said "no". He said back to me "Steve, we are kids, we should have fun". I said back "Yeah, but we should be professional and a good representative of this hobby". I don't think karaoke at the RC track is going to make someone want to join this hobby.
__________________
rm -rf /windows
RCSteve93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for a sponsor brand1 Racing Forum 8 09-10-2008 07:24 PM
Sponsor Shaunnyg723 Racing Forum 4 05-21-2008 09:20 PM
Lipo co. is my first sponsor sambonee Web Links 16 10-31-2007 02:22 PM
Featured Sponsor RCSteve93 R/C Tech Site Forum 2 07-14-2007 10:41 PM
getting a sponsor pavedarrin Electric On-Road 19 07-22-2005 01:41 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:34 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net