Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TT01 Drift / Rear Diff problem. Front and Rear Wheels go in opposite directions! >

TT01 Drift / Rear Diff problem. Front and Rear Wheels go in opposite directions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TT01 Drift / Rear Diff problem. Front and Rear Wheels go in opposite directions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TT01 Drift / Rear Diff problem. Front and Rear Wheels go in opposite directions!

Hello!

Once again thanks for such a wealth of great info, has helped loads..

I now have a TC5R to help my transition from a TT01 and cannot wait for the days to get lighter so I can practice on my local track...

Can you please tell me what I have done wrong with the TT01? I wanted to make it drift better so locked up the rear diff using blu-tak, and now the back wheels spin backwards and the front wheels still go forwards - so the car goes nowhere!

I checked the settings on the transmitter and they are both set to normal, not reverse, so it isnt that. Just really confused as to what is going on!?

Thanks again for any time you can spare...

Kevin
Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Chances are, you put the rear diff in backwards when you rebuilt the car...
Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Ah! that would make perfect sense... sorry for being such a useless newb

Can't wait to finish work I can go and un-do my great (erm, stupid) mistake!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello,

I tried fitting the rear diff round the other way and still no joy - I had put it back correctly. Also tried putting it round the wrong way to see what happens, still nothing.

I then unlocked it by removing all blu-tack and this made the car work normally so it must be something wrong with the way I am locking the diff. I just put blu-tac in all of it - to stop it moving at all.

Is this wrong?

Thanks again..
Old 12-01-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Adept

I don't have a TT-01, but about 10 years ago I had a TL-01, which had gear diffs, which is the only reason I can think could be the issue, I had a look because I was intrigued as to how to lock a 'planetary diff' and found this:

http://www.rcspares.com/drift-rc/loc...ferential.html

Seems to be what you need.

Regards

Neal
Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you,

I found this link too ...but the method I used would also lock the diff but I can't see how this would make my front and rear wheels turn opposite directions.. there must be something simple I am overlooking... I have emailed the people at rc experts, will post my results when its working!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i filled my rear diff with silicone sealent and it didnt turn backwards !!!

dont know what is wrong with it
Old 12-02-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Rookie

I have been a bit stupid with this one, OK so I didnt put the diff in backwards, but I also didn't take the alloy prop shaft out so the car is still trying to run as 4wd instead of RWD... not what you want with a drifter!

I will take this out tonight and flip the reverse switch on the transmitter and she will be ready to run...

One thing I have noticed is that where I have taken it apart so many times, the screws have eaten into the plastic and de-threaded themselves. Going to have to put sealant down there to make the screws go tighter...

So glad I have the TC5R now as I can't be dealing with this limitation on plastic kits anymore, and I have hardly used the thing!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Who told you you can't drift with AWD? Ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7R_buZPSo
Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Rookie

No one told me that I just thought it makes sense... would drifting be better with RWD or AWD/4WD with R/C cars? I know that with the real drifting cars they sometimes make them RWD and as I cannot get my front and rear wheels to go the same way... this seemed like the only fix....

Would love to hear different though!

(Thanks for the link, will check it out after work)
Old 12-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think most RC drift cars are actually AWD.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Doh! in that case, it looks very much like I am going to be one of the few RWD drifters

Unless anyone can clear this up for me... I just want to play now, not sit there scratching my head!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One of the diffs has to be in backwards, no ifs, ands, or buts about. That is the only possible way for a shaft drive car to do that. What happens if you turn the diff around?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, I tried that but still didn't work...

The car works fine without the diff locked, but as soon as its locked, the problem comes back..

I checked after the first suggestion of diff being wrong way round, and it was in the way the manual shows. So I changed it to the other way, and back again, and still no luck, the only thing that makes it work is when it is not locked... so I cant help but think it is something to do with the way I am locking it... but this can't be true either!

Confused

Maybe the front diff is in wrong....?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How exactly are you locking it? There is no feasible explanition for this, locking it won't reverse the whole diffs rotation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.