R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default how NOT to drift your brand new TC4

dont know if this is the right section, but ive had it for about a month and tonight to my schools parking lot with my car and was drifting around when i notice headlights behind me so i check to make sure i can stop my rc if need be double take its a cop.... by the time i did the double take i was mid drift and lost it right into a cement pole... usually no big deal just body damage ya know... NOT FOR ME... broke the WHOLE rear assembly, cracked the back right rim and hit hard enough it cracked the back LEFT rim...

pics.....

sorry not my cam, hard to see but broke rim on impact side...

opposite side of impact, cracked that rim in half too....

so now im looking at new rims, tires and that bottom piece its 31008 on TA's website.... any suggestions on rims and tires?
zx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

wrong forum for this? 117 views no replies...?
Old 09-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Johnny_S.

Nah, electric onroad would be the right forum. Usually they only start talking when its about lipo/nimh or bl/b though.

That sucks man, I don't know how you could be going that fast during a drift, but I guess there is a lesson to be learned that you shouldn't take your eye off your car.
Johnny_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

long open parking lot got me the speed and im just learning, the tires are sticky so i need some speed to get sideways.... yeah next time finish drift b4 checking where headlights are coming from....
Old 09-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jsl6v8

so did the cop stop and say anything?
jsl6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

yeah they gave me a hard time for a few things 1) the neons in my real car being on, 2) my music in my car being on so i could hear it.... and 3) just curious what i was doing....
Old 09-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TCRacer101
whoa, thats pretty crazy. I've got a TC3 n' my dads got a TC4. I'm mostly in to on-road racing, but maybe I'll try it sometime.
www.teamassociated.com, www.prolineracing.com,
www.goarmy.com ---(my older sister is in the army res.)
My Garage
AE TC3-MODDED
Comin' soon-FT TC5
TCRacer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

i got everything fixed, they suggested new rims and tires if im ganna keep drifting, now my issue is, i cant get the tires to stay on the rims... i got rims, yellow liner, and the smooth tire and the tires slide off the rim when i turn.... and if i want to find some different rims then what i just got today at a later time online are basically all rims the same or do i have to get team associated rims from tower hobbies?

any ideas? oh and what size 190mm or 200mm is the electric body? i forgot

Last edited by zx360; 09-15-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

190mm
fat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

least u broke the cheap stuff (plastic) wait till u break aluminium or carbon fibre. expensive
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx360 View Post
i got everything fixed, they suggested new rims and tires if im ganna keep drifting, now my issue is, i cant get the tires to stay on the rims... i got rims, yellow liner, and the smooth tire and the tires slide off the rim when i turn.... and if i want to find some different rims then what i just got today at a later time online are basically all rims the same or do i have to get team associated rims from tower hobbies?

any ideas? oh and what size 190mm or 200mm is the electric body? i forgot
If you bought seperate tires/wheels/inserts then you will have to glue the tires to your rims. If you have not done it before try to get the guys at your local hobby shop or somebody at your local race track to show you how to do it so you don't mess up those new cool rims and tires. Good Luck on the slide man!

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

yeah ive never done it before, but the arent like nice rims but they are nice tires... so maybe ill have them show me ;-)
Old 09-16-2007, 03:01 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

190mm is what you looking for. 200mm is for gas(nitro) Good luck on the slide. I know there are some special tires for drifting. I race not much of a drifter unless it's raining. I know some guys made some drifting tires out of old rims and some pvc piping.
Man you have to hate the fuzz. or as" I call them Mr stippy pants"
cyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

looks similar to the damage i've done and your incedent sounds alot like mine i hit a pole at i would guess 20 full side wayz but unlike you i was watching and was aiming for a close nose to pole drift hit a sticky patch caught and hit the pole.

note to self high speed precision drift requires soft targets.

im useing ultra hard foamies those looked like rubber i get my new drift kit shell and tire pack this week with rubbers so i'll c how i like em
khubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only thing that looks broken is the rear A arm, you can pick up them for a couple of $'s and they're easy to change. The wheel looks like it could still be used but it's hard to tell from those pics.

You're lucky! The other week I was racing my old TC3 and someone was going the wrong way at the end of the straight. I hit him full force and bent my hinge pins, snapped the A-arm, broke the hinge mount and broke the hub carrier all in one go! That was the end of my days racing!
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote