Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Weather the fronts spin or not has nothing to do with your rear diff. It's weather or not your motor is able to hold your drivetrain steady. When checking your rear diff, you should block the spur with your thumb so the drivetrain is not able to turn whatsoever...

As for how tight to make it, it's all personal taste. If your diff is too tight, your car will feel loose and want to spin out when applying power. If it's too loose your will accelerate slugishly (spinning one wheel) or even ruin your diff from slippage. Personally I start by setting mine to minimum tightness (so it won't slip) and work my way up until I get the traction/punch I need out of the turns without getting unstable. It's a pain in the ass to set...
Old 02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by composite
Just wanted to say hello first off to everyone since im new to this big forum. I recently purchased a trf416we and love it, I have found it to be very durable , easy to work on, and handles like a champ. I have been tuning it to my handling preferences for about a month now and i think i am quite done with my setup besides the fact that esc's brakes are very weak so i need a better esc. My one question i have today is in regards to how the back differential affects the cars handling on the turns and straight aways? For instance, if i run my Diff tighter how will my car perform? or if i run it more loose, how will it affect the car? I have it curently nice and smooth so it turns the rear on the opposite side of the tire im spinning but almost barely picking up the front tires. It will pick up the front tires barely like 1 outta 10 spins so its like normal loose i can say i dunno. Also i run on asphalt track, if that helps to know.
Your diff has to be built very precise or you will end up with the symptoms you describe. The reason for this is that one of your diff ring is slipping on the out drive more than the other. I'm not sure why tamiya designed the diff without a D-ring, but you have to make sure you build the diff like Groskamp's video. In addition, I scuff the mating points of the diff ring to the out drive with a larger grit sand paper so it can grab better. Jilles uses a thick tamiya grease there, but I prefer to use diff grease. Hope that helps.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HoboShop
Does anybody know where I can buy alu steering blocks, and Alu rear hubs for the 416we in the USA.
towerhobbies. speedtechrc,ampdraw and tamiyausa
Old 02-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheehtae
towerhobbies. speedtechrc,ampdraw and tamiyausa
Tamiya doesn't make them, so none of those places sell them. You can get quality ones from companies like Square Japan. Rdvtg-hobbies on eBay is probably one of the best places to buy in Japan. Shipping is super cheap, yet things still get here in less than a week...

http://stores.ebay.com/Rdvtg-Hobbies...LH_TitleDesc=1
Old 02-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Tech Addict

Cool diff covers from Gonzo.
You can have then customised to your body colors also

http://www.gonzo-racing.ch/produkte.html

Old 02-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just wondering if this was a possibility...

I've got a wandering 416. I've tried absolutely everything. My problem is that when I turn left, then centre, the car will pull left, when I turn right, then centre, the car will pull right. Sometimes it will run straight, and sometimes it ll run straight, then just start pulling left/right. Sometimes it's going straight under acceleration, and when I let go, it will pull left/right.

I have tried everything. I rebuilt the entire car, I tried different springs, different shocks, different tyres, different servo, different servo saver, different receiver...

The only thing I have not tried is a different front one way. Has anyone ever encountered a faulty one way? I have noticed that when I hold the car in my hands and accelerate, if I left the front wheels to stop by themselves, the right wheel will always spin for longer than the left. Could I have a faulty front one way that was making the car pulling left and right randomly?

I m to the point where I m about to just give up. Please help.

Thanks!

Last edited by rnd_tang; 02-14-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:40 AM
Tech Addict

Could be a slipping one way bearing, this is not unheard of. You can buy such a thing as 1 way bearing lube.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:53 AM
Tech Adept

Ahhhh right...

So it isn't a impossibility that it could be the one way. I m really hoping that it is the one way, because I m really all out of ideas!

I'll see if I can borrow a diff/one way/spool to test it with at the track on Friday night.

Hopefully that would be the end of this saga.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rnd_tang

I've got a wandering 416. I've tried absolutely everything. My problem is that when I turn left, then centre, the car will pull left, when I turn right, then centre, the car will pull right. Sometimes it will run straight, and sometimes it ll run straight, then just start pulling left/right. Sometimes it's going straight under acceleration, and when I let go, it will pull left/right.

I have tried everything. I rebuilt the entire car, I tried different springs, different shocks, different tyres, different servo, different servo saver, different receiver...

The only thing I have not tried is a different front one way. Has anyone ever encountered a faulty one way? I have noticed that when I hold the car in my hands and accelerate, if I left the front wheels to stop by themselves, the right wheel will always spin for longer than the left. Could I have a faulty front one way that was making the car pulling left and right randomly?

Thanks!
It could be also a faulty servo saver..
Old 02-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Ahhhh right...

So it isn't a impossibility that it could be the one way. I m really hoping that it is the one way, because I m really all out of ideas!

I'll see if I can borrow a diff/one way/spool to test it with at the track on Friday night.

Hopefully that would be the end of this saga.
may i know what servo r u using? could be the servo
Old 02-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Rookie

i understand what ur informing me and i am using the front diff moving forward as an example as to were my personal preference point is on my diff, thanks for letting me know how u run urs. i should
Old 02-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Rookie

give it a try and run mine a bit tighter. i always thought the purpose of a differential is just to save ur transmission from breaking. thanks again
Old 02-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dodo
may i know what servo r u using? could be the servo
I m using a Hitec HS5645MG. The same servo works fine in my M05 and my TA05, and the Hitec HS645MG from my M05 has the same symptoms in my TRF416.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Thanks!

My car does the exact same thing when the servo saver is done. Best way to check is turn the car on and push on the servo arm, if it moves really easily then it is time for a new one.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Tamiyas laid it down in Florida last night. My 416WE TQ'd and won 17.5, while my friend's 416X laid down the fastest lap of the night in 13.5, and another friend TQ'd and won RCGT with a 416WE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.