Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Drifting101
Hey, I am from SA (East London to be exact) were about are you guys?
hey oke... we from the United states of boksburg eheheheheh

lol u east london oke love MI3's

i sold mine to an oke from there...
Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TRF416WE Upper Deck & DERLIN DIRECT CUP
next week arrive again !
Old 04-16-2009, 01:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Gotta say I'm excited to be racing next weekend, we will be running a mandatory 5 cell class at the Reedy Race this year, so I get to start practicing with 5 cells again. I don't think anything feels better in the car than a 5 cell pack at 1450 grams...
Old 04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good news Randy

Have to same I'm in the same boat (although only in 10.5/LiPo), as we've had a bit of a development over here in the UK, and that means there will be a gaggle of 416's at the BRCA nationals this year. There's a constructors cup team too (which I've had the honour of being asked to be part of, hence the sig change ) ... and the rest of the guys who are trying blue for the first time are loving the car

Itchy thumbs, itchy thumbs!
Ed
Old 04-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

a question I allready posted earlier but got no answer on:

We drive rubber only locally, but I would like to try foam-tyres.
Which ones will suit my 416?

I bought some HPI-foamtires once but they didn't fit on the front wheels.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Sounds like everyone has got some good racing coming up, I expect to see setups! Nice work on the team driver spot too Ed, I wish we had that kind (i.e. any) support over here... maybe one day, but I'm not holding my breath

As for me, I'm itching to race too - next weekend is our State Titles and it's being held on one of my very favourite tracks. I was on the podium (in 10.5) last year so I'm hoping to be up there again, there's a lot of great drivers though so it's going to be some close racing

Low_E try jaco
Old 04-16-2009, 04:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Low_E
a question I allready posted earlier but got no answer on:

We drive rubber only locally, but I would like to try foam-tyres.
Which ones will suit my 416?

I bought some HPI-foamtires once but they didn't fit on the front wheels.
I've fitted Parma foam tires with no problems. Are you running foam on carpet or on a nitro car track?
Old 04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by TryHard
Good news Randy

Have to same I'm in the same boat (although only in 10.5/LiPo), as we've had a bit of a development over here in the UK, and that means there will be a gaggle of 416's at the BRCA nationals this year. There's a constructors cup team too (which I've had the honour of being asked to be part of, hence the sig change ) ... and the rest of the guys who are trying blue for the first time are loving the car

Itchy thumbs, itchy thumbs!
Ed
Sounds like some fun racing over there, glad to hear it. I've been busy on other projects but am going to try to be more active in this thread now that I have balanced everything out.

I know you have more resources than anyone else, do you have any recent pictures of 5 cell 416's? (Marc, Jilles, etc...) I need to get an idea what I'll have to do for weight placement. Just a couple different cars would be fine if you have them.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried over running the front axle before (1 tooth larger center pulley for the front only [hopefully my terminology is right])? I was suggested by another stock driver to increase my corner speed (he is running that setup on his Mi3, and is miles ahead of everybody else at my club). I'm aware that the car may wear out faster (not to mention seriously effect the balance of the car) from running i like that but i feel like i would like to try it just once. Are there any center pulleys that can achieve this, Tamiya or aftermarket.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I have run overdrive on just about every TC I've run (including when I ran the Mi3, and it worked so well on that car that they ended up making the pulleys as an option) and normally get great results, but with the 416 I honestly didn't like the feel of it.

To achieve overdrive, you need to go with a front pulley 1 tooth smaller (36 teeth) which was run on the 415 cars. (I think they ended up using 37 teeth in their later 415's) On most cars it makes the car more aggressive, but not any harder to drive. On the 416 I found that I was able to tune the car to be more aggressive without it, and it really just made the car feel bound up.

I was running on a small track when I tested it though, and didn't have as good of a setup then as I do now. I'll be going to test on a larger track next weekend, and will mount one up and try it out up there to see if the results are any different. I hope I can make it work, because my driving style really likes overdrive, a couple years ago at the Reedy Race that change alone took my fast lap from a 12.9 to a 12.6, so if your car is setup for it, it can make a huge difference.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
I know you have more resources than anyone else, do you have any recent pictures of 5 cell 416's? (Marc, Jilles, etc...) I need to get an idea what I'll have to do for weight placement. Just a couple different cars would be fine if you have them.
There are heaps of shots of their cars in the ETS galleries and RedRC events galleries

http://ets.redrc.net/gallery/
http://events.redrc.net/event-gallery-2009-dhi-cup/
Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Cool, thanks. Looks like the back end needs the weight in most cases.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have loads of foam tires ... Jacos in fact .
I will be more than happy to relpy with inquiries and ship anywhere (if you cover shipping) for $5.00 a pair. All tires are new in the package! Blue, Green, White. (586)216-2769 John
Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
I have run overdrive on just about every TC I've run (including when I ran the Mi3, and it worked so well on that car that they ended up making the pulleys as an option) and normally get great results, but with the 416 I honestly didn't like the feel of it.

To achieve overdrive, you need to go with a front pulley 1 tooth smaller (36 teeth) which was run on the 415 cars. (I think they ended up using 37 teeth in their later 415's) On most cars it makes the car more aggressive, but not any harder to drive. On the 416 I found that I was able to tune the car to be more aggressive without it, and it really just made the car feel bound up.

I was running on a small track when I tested it though, and didn't have as good of a setup then as I do now. I'll be going to test on a larger track next weekend, and will mount one up and try it out up there to see if the results are any different. I hope I can make it work, because my driving style really likes overdrive, a couple years ago at the Reedy Race that change alone took my fast lap from a 12.9 to a 12.6, so if your car is setup for it, it can make a huge difference.
Hey thanks for that info, i was really curious about what difference it made! I will try it in the next few weeks and see how it goes!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Tech Adept

we mostly run ATS and nitro shoes here in SA, these two brands dominate and also fit the 416 perfectly. the shore rating is up to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.