Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

guys, my front spool is touching the upper bulkhead....any tips???
Old 05-28-2008, 03:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t4m1y4niac
guys, my front spool is touching the upper bulkhead....any tips???
Which part of the spool is touching which part of the bulkhead?

make sure you have the arrows on the bearing carriers pointing down as per the instructions
Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
Which part of the spool is touching which part of the bulkhead?

make sure you have the arrows on the bearing carriers pointing down as per the instructions
the blue alum that protect the out drives....... okay i'll check it out...thx craig
Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hey guys, would you please be so kind to help me understand the Tamiya suspension block system? What's 1A, 1B, D, X, etc? Mayb there's a link where all of this is explained better?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Hey guys, would you please be so kind to help me understand the Tamiya suspension block system? What's 1A, 1B, D, X, etc? Mayb there's a link where all of this is explained better?
http://www.thard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=30
Old 05-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Just wanted to say that the car performed well for me @ the recent Reedy Race of Champions in Roseville, CA. A lil more horsepower and I think I could have been an A-main contender (I was in the B). My 13.5 motor was lacking a few ponies, I think.

The car was so free, barely any tire squeal. Super easy on the handout Sorex 36's. I will post the setup if anyone is interested...

On a different note, I asked Satoshi why Tamiya didn't include the "X" blocks and the short suspension arms in the kit. He responded by saying that in Japan, there are many beginners that probably couldnt handle the complexity and tunability of the short arm setup, so they include the stock arms instead.

He also said that they ALWAYS use the short am setup... something that I will be sure to upgrade to in the near future.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

Questions??

did anyone end up getting any of the hemestede (or however you spell it) setups from the round of ETS? I'm racing on a very similar track this weekend and would like a solid starting point
Old 05-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by t4m1y4niac
the blue alum that protect the out drives....... okay i'll check it out...thx craig
yeah this happens when you use less than 4mm of spacers (could be 3mm) on the inner camber link. You can either add more spacers or use a shorter ball headed screw, I think 8mm is the standard so you could try the 5. I think if you need to go that low with the spacers though you should just move one hole further out
Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default RE

Hey guys heres my setup from reedy race. I used tryhards redone setup sheet(kudos, much easier )

Track changed quite a bit but this was basically what i ran for all my timed runs.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-reedy-race-setup.jpg  
Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TRFwhitey
Hey guys heres my setup from reedy race. I used tryhards redone setup sheet(kudos, much easier )

Track changed quite a bit but this was basically what i ran for all my timed runs.
Cheers for the props on the sheet... though not a problem at all to do it

Quick Q, what was your thoughts on running the rear shocks all the way in on the arms? Moving them in effectively softens off the action, right?

Cheers
Ed
Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default re

good catch! i actually circled the wrong set of holes. I ran furthest out on front and second furthest on the rear. I should pay more attention next time lol.

heres the correct setup
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-reedy-race-setup.jpg  
Old 05-30-2008, 01:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys
I have a question about front spool and one way....is there any theory support that front spool always faster than one way on asphalt and opposite on carpet? Or, just depends on experience?
Thanks for any answer!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jontang001
Hi guys
I have a question about front spool and one way....is there any theory support that front spool always faster than one way on asphalt and opposite on carpet? Or, just depends on experience?
Thanks for any answer!!!
A lot of that depends on class, track type, surface... but some general rules I tend to go on.

A one-way is usually faster over one lap, but is generally restricted to one line, and you loose the use of brakes (unless your really good ). A spool maybe slightly slower over a single lap, but can be more consistent over a run, as it's not restricted to one racing line. It also allows the use of brakes.

Outdoors, I'll use a spool in all classes, unless the track is particularly wide and open, and the I may consider a one-way for steering (this is especially so on big tracks with slower classes).
Indoors, mod and 10.5/19 I'll go spool, whilst stock I'll always tend to use a one-way. (although I did use a spool last time out, but that was beacuse I'm lazy...)

HiH
Ed
Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TryHard
A lot of that depends on class, track type, surface... but some general rules I tend to go on.

A one-way is usually faster over one lap, but is generally restricted to one line, and you loose the use of brakes (unless your really good ). A spool maybe slightly slower over a single lap, but can be more consistent over a run, as it's not restricted to one racing line. It also allows the use of brakes.

Outdoors, I'll use a spool in all classes, unless the track is particularly wide and open, and the I may consider a one-way for steering (this is especially so on big tracks with slower classes).
Indoors, mod and 10.5/19 I'll go spool, whilst stock I'll always tend to use a one-way. (although I did use a spool last time out, but that was beacuse I'm lazy...)

HiH
Ed
Wo!!!Thanks Ed!!!
I always talk to my friend that no one use a one way outdoor....
I need to say sorry to him...he is a one way guy...
But, I hear about to use spool when low traction...is that right?
According to your post...spool allow a driver to miss a little bit but one way need a very stable driving style....is that right?
But, two week ago, in our last carpt race, I was use your 415MSXX stock setting for a 10.5R race...and that was awesome!!! I only changed rear toe in to 3 degree. I got A3 at the final and A3 finished. The car was still under control...my be last time I will change to 416 (if I got some spares...) and spool for carpet this winter.
So thanks Ed...for your fantastic website and awesome settings....WO!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Any ETA on the new blocks and chassis? I'm eager to give the short arms a go on my carpet and asphalt rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.