Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nathan Parker
Hmm not according to my measurements

Other than a little filing of the 415 C hub it fits a treat.

Will have another measure thursday when I look at the car next
Actually, having sat down with a selection of C-hubs this evening, looks like I cocked up on my inital assesment

You CAN use the 416 knuckles in the 415 c-hubs, and the axle will be at the same height.... my bad

You do need to add a shim above the chub to keep the ball joint in the same height. And need to file off a little bit of material from the steering knuckle, as it's a bit of a tight fit.

Pic of the setup below

See, I don't know everything Nath

HiH
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-dscf0136.jpg  
Old 02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No need to shave anything for me when I did this. However I see you did you upper bushing differently than I did. Mine was flipped the other way. No shaving anything for me. Direct fit.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TryHard
Actually, having sat down with a selection of C-hubs this evening, looks like I cocked up on my inital assesment

You CAN use the 416 knuckles in the 415 c-hubs, and the axle will be at the same height.... my bad

You do need to add a shim above the chub to keep the ball joint in the same height. And need to file off a little bit of material from the steering knuckle, as it's a bit of a tight fit.

Pic of the setup below

See, I don't know everything Nath

HiH
Ed
Cheers for the heads up on the ball joint washer Ed I overlooked that.

Will get a set up for you on what I end up with at Maritime Thursday.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
No need to shave anything for me when I did this. However I see you did you upper bushing differently than I did. Mine was flipped the other way. No shaving anything for me. Direct fit.
I tried the upper bushing the other way,but wasn't too happy with the amount of gap I saw. Was less than 0.5mm, so taking up the play by using a spacer would still require shaving some material from the top of the steering knuckle. This way keeps it the same way round as the 416, just need to shim the ball joint up.

Regards
Ed
Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

I dunno. Sounds like you need to buy the .1,.2,.3mm shim kit! Haha. Mine shimmed just fine. No shaving required. Either way, the 415 chubs will work in an emergency. However, I'm not sure if they will alter the front width of the car. ?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rough512
BBoy :

A bit late but try it anyway. Use a pinion gear 1 teeth bigger that the one you're intending to use. Mesh it snugly at the tightest spot with your spur gear (remember, no spur/pinion gear is perfectly round, there is always a spot that appears notchy). Then take out the big pinion gear and install the correct-teeth gear.
Interesting idea. I will try it too! Can't wait to take my new 416 out this weekend again!

Go go 416!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Apex
Anyone try the Protoform 3.0 (All Purpose) body on this car yet? Good, Bad results?
I use the Mazada 6 body and it has been great. This is the body most people in my club use, 190mm or EP and 200mm for GP.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Apex
Anyone try the Protoform 3.0 (All Purpose) body on this car yet? Good, Bad results?
I use the Mazada 6 body and it has been great. This is the body most people in my club use, 190mm or EP and 200mm for GP.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

I dunno. Sounds like you need to buy the .1,.2,.3mm shim kit! Haha. Mine shimmed just fine. No shaving required. Either way, the 415 chubs will work in an emergency. However, I'm not sure if they will alter the front width of the car. ?
Not sure on the width thing either. I'll have a look at that sometime tonight.. after I get my rear shocks equal on rebound tried for over an hour to get them equal last night, think I need to strip them down, and then make sure there is no air in them at all. Not having acces to a vacuum pump I think is not helping, as I seem to be trapping a small amount of air in the shocks, resulting in unequal rebound... I was rushing it last night, so I'll just take my time this evening

Oddly, got the Fronts spot on pretty quick... so it's a pain I can't get the same atm.

Followed your lead anyway Jimmy, and have some of the 3 racing alloy hubs on the way nice blue bling, and not exactly expensive either (I think they worked out at ~£5 )

Cheers
Ed
Old 02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Nice Ed. It's gonna take some shimming to get most of the play out. But I think the ease of mind is worth it.

Bboy, I've been running the 3.0AP body. So far it's been okay. Pretty tame or neutral handling I think. I may try out my Speed6 if I can get off my lazy butt and paint it! Maybe I can also pick up a regular 6 and try that as well.

Also, I will be trying out a uhhh.. different concept of setups for the car. I think this car is designed for asia and euro tracks that are nice and flowing with rounded corners. Here in the usa there are alot of parking lot and tight tracks where you will need "different" kind of steering. So we shall see how that goes. I'll post my setup once I try it out.

Well off to the hobby shop....
Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

But I think the ease of mind is worth it.

Especially so as I'll be racing 5 cell/brushless modified for the first time in a few weeks at the Carpet Wars two day... fully expecting to make a bit of a fool of myself, but hey, at least I'll have fun

Ed
Old 02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ed, the Asphault page (Marc R.) link isn't working. Nice site!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Well someone bought up all the Mazda6's at the hobby shop. So I'll just run my 3.0AP and Speed6.

Sounds like fun Ed! I wanna try 3.5 and 5cell during the spring/summer. I miss mod. But we just don't get the crowds here to run it. Let us know how you do!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I normally change out the bladders if the rebound will not push out the same................I use a Yokomo Bladders for different track condition............On all my kits...They are much better than the Tamiya Bladders(well IMO). I use Shock slime as well to keep in a seal.......helps out alot....I haven't tweak a shock since.

O-ring Rayspeed (so many to choose from)
Bladders Rayspeed (sweet from soft to hard)
Foam Hpi/Rayspeed/Yokomo (soft to hard, thick or thin)

I also use the Tamiya Shock Machine....pulls out all those air bubbles

Super smooth Shocks.....

All Purpose has been a very good body to run.....I perfer it over the MSP6 or 6.....

Although I would like to try the Kyosho Stratus...the Nose is lower.

As far as steering goes......other than a good "throw postition" the steering is pretty good......maybe a shim here or there...on the Ackerman.

This weekend I am going to run the EVO5 arms.....

I will be shimming the suspension.....from its sloppy behavior.....More so the 3racing Hubs.....I have .2mm shim under the top Cup, this stops that up and down play in the steering block.

Going to try some new grip as well.........and loosen up the bearing just a little more........

See ya at the track Sunday JMAC.

Last edited by m3ndo5a; 02-07-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
Ed, the Asphault page (Marc R.) link isn't working. Nice site!
Cheers for that, actually spotted the error the other day, but had completely forgotten about it. all sorted now, and I've added a few more setups

Regards
Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.