Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM
  #10351  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (78)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,244
Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by guinnes.s View Post
I want to run g a gear diff on the front but to act like a spool, what oil should I use?
What are your experience with geardiff on front? Thanx
I switched from spool to front gear diff recently and it's working like a charm for me. Instead of oil, I'm running it with Mobil 1 axle grease (red stuff) I learned about it when I ran 1/5 scale. So whenever I want to tighten up a gear diff to the max, I run it. Its heavy, doesn't over heat an remains consistent and it doesn't need maintenance
Raman is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 AM
  #10352  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,180
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

You can also use AW grease in the front gear diff.
Makes it real sticky and won't get loose when it heats up but gets a bit tighter

regards Roy

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I switched from spool to front gear diff recently and it's working like a charm for me. Instead of oil, I'm running it with Mobil 1 axle grease (red stuff) I learned about it when I ran 1/5 scale. So whenever I want to tighten up a gear diff to the max, I run it. Its heavy, doesn't over heat an remains consistent and it doesn't need maintenance
Pro10noob is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 AM
  #10353  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (78)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,244
Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default

I have a love and hate relationship with the AW grease. I was at west coast RC and all I had was the tube. Opened it up and it went all over my hand.. I didnt have any alcohol or soap, so i couldnt get it off lol..

It is good stuff that's for sure.. Funny thing is it costs about the same price as a half pint tub of the Mobil 1 lol.
Raman is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM
  #10354  
Tech Regular
 
guinnes.s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 341
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I switched from spool to front gear diff recently and it's working like a charm for me. Instead of oil, I'm running it with Mobil 1 axle grease (red stuff) I learned about it when I ran 1/5 scale. So whenever I want to tighten up a gear diff to the max, I run it. Its heavy, doesn't over heat an remains consistent and it doesn't need maintenance
Well just fill it with 30.000 silicon oil, let see how it goes and I will try the greese next.
guinnes.s is offline  
Old 05-19-2011, 09:04 PM
  #10355  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

FYI to all the 416 guys, the Xray NT1 rear gear diff is pretty easy to fit in the car. Just takes some care mounting the pulley to the diff. Otherwise, it drops straight in (no shimming needed, uses stock bearings, dogbones fit outdrives).
geeunit1014 is offline  
Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 PM
  #10356  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,442
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
FYI to all the 416 guys, the Xray NT1 rear gear diff is pretty easy to fit in the car. Just takes some care mounting the pulley to the diff. Otherwise, it drops straight in (no shimming needed, uses stock bearings, dogbones fit outdrives).
From memory, the bore of the Xray outdrives are a larger diameter compared to the Tamiya. So the driveshafts might float around a little unless you change them also. Xray driveshafts aren't cheap...
veecee is offline  
Old 05-20-2011, 09:06 AM
  #10357  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by veecee View Post
From memory, the bore of the Xray outdrives are a larger diameter compared to the Tamiya. So the driveshafts might float around a little unless you change them also. Xray driveshafts aren't cheap...
They do float a little bit. If it affects the car on the track, I do happen to have an old 007 laying around I can pillage driveshafts from.
geeunit1014 is offline  
Old 05-21-2011, 07:32 AM
  #10358  
Tech Regular
 
guinnes.s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 341
Default

OK ,tested the spec r geardiff with the 30.000 silicon oil in it and it was great,i did have to change the front driveshafts(the stock are to short) from 44mm stock to 46mm,other then that was cool.
raced on carpet and car felt very smooth.
here my setup
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14415603/416%20good%20setup.PDF
guinnes.s is offline  
Old 05-21-2011, 05:58 PM
  #10359  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by veecee View Post
From memory, the bore of the Xray outdrives are a larger diameter compared to the Tamiya. So the driveshafts might float around a little unless you change them also. Xray driveshafts aren't cheap...
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
They do float a little bit. If it affects the car on the track, I do happen to have an old 007 laying around I can pillage driveshafts from.
The floating driveshafts didnt seem to affect the car any, it was good enough to TQ mod at our club today.
geeunit1014 is offline  
Old 05-22-2011, 04:16 AM
  #10360  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

I don't think xray bones will fit the car anyway, they are much longer
CraigM is offline  
Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 AM
  #10361  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (35)
 
tiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default 416WE or 416X

I'm sure that this has been asked more than once here but I just can't find it. Here is my Question guys, what's the difference between the 416WE and the 416X and which is a better car.

Thanks, TIKO
tiko is offline  
Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 PM
  #10362  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I don't think xray bones will fit the car anyway, they are much longer
The xray bones do fit actually. IIRC Xray measurements are not the same as Tamiya. The only thing to watch out for with the xray bones is that the pins may have to be shaved down so that they dont hit the inner ballstud if it sticks below the bulkhead cap
geeunit1014 is offline  
Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 PM
  #10363  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
The xray bones do fit actually. IIRC Xray measurements are not the same as Tamiya.
That would make sense, I can't for the life of me see how xray would fit an extra 10mm on each bone without making the arms super long
CraigM is offline  
Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 PM
  #10364  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (85)
 
entitymugenmtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northridge ca
Posts: 2,248
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

I have a question adding and removing shims from the Upper Bulkhead what does it do?
entitymugenmtx is offline  
Old 05-26-2011, 07:55 PM
  #10365  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
That would make sense, I can't for the life of me see how xray would fit an extra 10mm on each bone without making the arms super long
Pretty sure Tamiya measures pin to pin, and Xray end to end.
geeunit1014 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.