Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 AM
  #9781  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (4)
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,370
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
What the hell, are you back running the Tamiya????
In a word, yes.

The losi really wasn't a bad car when it worked... It just didn't work that well very often! As much as I tried to convince myself that the short arms etc wouldn't be a problem, with hindsight, it always would be. Also a dawning realisation that (and this is no fault of the cars) that it just wasn't built to work at its best with high torque brushless motors and LiPo. When a diff can't last more than 4mins, its a bit of an issue.
On a positive spin, learnt a load more about what makes a car tick (which in some respects lead to the discovery of the limitations, IMO, with the R), and am certainly driving a lot better, even if the result haven't shown it over the season. Also proud to have been given the opportunity to run the R, and to have stuck with it for the whole season, but the above problems mean I've taken a decision to go back to what I'm used to, and hopefully have a easier time of it along the way

Anyway, picked up a second hand X to run over the winter, and will then pick up a 417 for next outdoor season. Trying to remind myself what I need to do, its amazing what you forget after only a few months!

Ed
TryHard is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 07:33 AM
  #9782  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 87
Default

See Ed, Talking to me is damaging to your wallet
Slick990 is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 AM
  #9783  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 628
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Sweep will give you more mid corner steering, esp in fast sweepers. Normally you would change both front and rear blocks to maintain the same track, so use D/B rather than C/C for example

How much sweep is ideal? I heard 1mm to 1.5mm. Also I'm not sure what the out of the box track width is. How do i figure out what Front and rear blocks to use to maintain my same track width. The chart doesn't give the track widths just the amount of toe it yields. Is there maybe another chart that provides what blocks yield what track width.
kobiwan is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 AM
  #9784  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (77)
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,298
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kobiwan View Post
How much sweep is ideal? I heard 1mm to 1.5mm. Also I'm not sure what the out of the box track width is. How do i figure out what Front and rear blocks to use to maintain my same track width. The chart doesn't give the track widths just the amount of toe it yields. Is there maybe another chart that provides what blocks yield what track width.
I do not like running a lot of sweep in this car...I find C/D is good
artwork is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 PM
  #9785  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Senna Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,035
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Welcome back
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
In a word, yes.

The losi really wasn't a bad car when it worked... It just didn't work that well very often! As much as I tried to convince myself that the short arms etc wouldn't be a problem, with hindsight, it always would be. Also a dawning realisation that (and this is no fault of the cars) that it just wasn't built to work at its best with high torque brushless motors and LiPo. When a diff can't last more than 4mins, its a bit of an issue.
On a positive spin, learnt a load more about what makes a car tick (which in some respects lead to the discovery of the limitations, IMO, with the R), and am certainly driving a lot better, even if the result haven't shown it over the season. Also proud to have been given the opportunity to run the R, and to have stuck with it for the whole season, but the above problems mean I've taken a decision to go back to what I'm used to, and hopefully have a easier time of it along the way

Anyway, picked up a second hand X to run over the winter, and will then pick up a 417 for next outdoor season. Trying to remind myself what I need to do, its amazing what you forget after only a few months!

Ed
Senna Racing is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM
  #9786  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,267
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Yes Sweep no good !
RC MARKET is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 07:07 PM
  #9787  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,294
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Quality?

Hey guys I'm considering a 417 and I was wondering how the quality is with Taymiya? I'm use to Xray's great fit/finish. I hate to try something new, but I read great things about it. Are the diffs covered? What are it's problem areas?
RCknight is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 07:34 PM
  #9788  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (43)
 
transplantlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL/St.Petersburg,FL
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
Hey guys I'm considering a 417 and I was wondering how the quality is with Taymiya? I'm use to Xray's great fit/finish. I hate to try something new, but I read great things about it. Are the diffs covered? What are it's problem areas?
tamiya is good but the plastic is fragile like the rear uprights and caster blocks
transplantlife is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 07:35 PM
  #9789  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,269
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
Hey guys I'm considering a 417 and I was wondering how the quality is with Taymiya? I'm use to Xray's great fit/finish. I hate to try something new, but I read great things about it. Are the diffs covered? What are it's problem areas?
You should probably just get an XRay. The Tamiya is a great car, but it's not the right choice for people that want highest level of fit and finish. It's for people that want to win.
syndr0me is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 07:44 PM
  #9790  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Welcome back Ed, I'm now off to open a psychic hotline

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
p.s. my prediction is that you'll be back... I've been there
CraigM is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 PM
  #9791  
Tech Master
iTrader: (17)
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
You should probably just get an XRay. The Tamiya is a great car, but it's not the right choice for people that want highest level of fit and finish. It's for people that want to win.
That is one way to put it
Owen RaCing is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 PM
  #9792  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,634
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I've only broke plastic once. A full throttle smack on the left front and that would take the front left of any car!!! I have bent ball studs on my rear uprights but never broke one. Spool cups are the only real thing I go through more then my Xray's

syndr0me, I hope you guys reconsider coming to the Timezone Grand Prix! This is the year that its going to be put on the map. We will make sure you guys have fun as well I don't feel like being the only Tamiya on the track other then my buddies Evo 5MS...
Kody is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 08:10 PM
  #9793  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (84)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 9,690
Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kody View Post
I've only broke plastic once. A full throttle smack on the left front and that would take the front left of any car!!! I have bent ball studs on my rear uprights but never broke one. Spool cups are the only real thing I go through more then my Xray's

syndr0me, I hope you guys reconsider coming to the Timezone Grand Prix! This is the year that its going to be put on the map. We will make sure you guys have fun as well I don't feel like being the only Tamiya on the track other then my buddies Evo 5MS...
Don't forget Mike Malkinson he got the 416X as well...
OVA is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 08:14 PM
  #9794  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,269
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kody View Post
I've only broke plastic once. A full throttle smack on the left front and that would take the front left of any car!!! I have bent ball studs on my rear uprights but never broke one. Spool cups are the only real thing I go through more then my Xray's

syndr0me, I hope you guys reconsider coming to the Timezone Grand Prix! This is the year that its going to be put on the map. We will make sure you guys have fun as well I don't feel like being the only Tamiya on the track other then my buddies Evo 5MS...
I went to the steel ball studs all the way around, and use the kingpin ball studs in the steering rack. In the front I use the Square chubs, but other than that, the car is stock. If you haven't tried using 46mm steel bones up front, it's definitely worth a go. The 44's destroy spool cups. My car almost never breaks, and I hit some *ish pretty hard.

I really wanted to go to TZGP, but it's a pretty expensive trip, and I'm running low on vacation days this year. I've been practicing some mod, but I'm not ready to be a factor just yet. I would love to run some SS with you guys sometime. I think I'm gonna save a few bucks (and some vacation) and hit Snowbirds & Reedy. Or maybe carpet nats depending on where it's at.
syndr0me is offline  
Old 09-26-2010, 08:25 PM
  #9795  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,634
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Don't forget Mike Malkinson he got the 416X as well...
Ok that makes two of us... Still very slim on the Tamiya cars... Also the guys from Southern OR I guess if the make it up.

Still though, the more of us the better!
Kody is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.