Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 AM
  #9571  
Tech Master
iTrader: (17)
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by M-Technic View Post
I haven't tried the two back to back. Have you tried Gold's up front? If your bite is high enough running gold/silver will really increase your corner speed and the car should feel like it has more steering. If running Gold's make it feel pushy, like there is too much rear traction, use shims to raise your rear roll center another .5-1mm under the toe blocks.
That sounds good, I may have to try golds.
Owen RaCing is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 AM
  #9572  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Senna Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,035
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
No I haven't had a chance, but I did write a build review

http://tchub.wordpress.com/2010/08/2...ar-diff-build/
nice write up looking forward to more
Senna Racing is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 AM
  #9573  
Tech Elite
 
dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the archipelago
Posts: 3,095
Default

pics of 416 37T pulley with photon gear diff.
pardon the dirt



dodo is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM
  #9574  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (77)
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,298
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
SJR 36's and 40's. I ran this set up but felt the car was soft (more roll that I am comfortable with) and did not have enough steering. The steering part is irrelevant, due to the fact that a after race rebuilt/inspection found both front CVD pins pulled out of the hole and were binding inside the hub. Must not have got a good tighten on them or something

Before next race, I have lowered the front inner camber link, 700-500, gear diff. Still kinda up in the air on what else to do. I don't know much on how the 416 acts to changes yet, so I am just trowing stuff at it until it works.
I personally found that Jilles setup to have too much roll as well on higher traction surfaces...Check my setup from Nats...traction was really high and the tires were solaris Hards. To run Sorexs I would just remove the front sweep and a little less camber other then that this setup is pretty good.

Give it a try you might like it...

http://projectgreenracing.com/PGR/Re...X%20Norcal.pdf
artwork is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM
  #9575  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

When I get around to it I think I'll try and make a hybrid gear diff.

Spec-R casing
Spec-R outdrives
3R shims
3R gears

This would give you the hard outdrives that take the 3mm blades, a casing that doesn't need to be shimmed to fit the 416, and the best internals. Whether or not it'll all work together remains to be seen

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
Before next race, I have lowered the front inner camber link, 700-500, gear diff. Still kinda up in the air on what else to do. I don't know much on how the 416 acts to changes yet, so I am just trowing stuff at it until it works.
For high traction Jilles' setup is a very good starting point as far as geometry goes. Try the thick oil, you may want even thicker like 800wt. I ran 600 all round recently on high traction and needed to go way thicker, but didn't have any. Running x/d will also really free the rear up if steering remains a problem.

As for your cvds, get the TOP pin retainers. Not only do they give you certainty that your pins wont move, they give you more steering and they make rebuilding a breeze. They are probably the favourite thing I have on my car
CraigM is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 PM
  #9576  
Tech Master
iTrader: (17)
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I personally found that Jilles setup to have too much roll as well on higher traction surfaces...Check my setup from Nats...traction was really high and the tires were solaris Hards. To run Sorexs I would just remove the front sweep and a little less camber other then that this setup is pretty good.

Give it a try you might like it...

http://projectgreenracing.com/PGR/Re...X%20Norcal.pdf
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
For high traction Jilles' setup is a very good starting point as far as geometry goes. Try the thick oil, you may want even thicker like 800wt. I ran 600 all round recently on high traction and needed to go way thicker, but didn't have any. Running x/d will also really free the rear up if steering remains a problem.

As for your cvds, get the TOP pin retainers. Not only do they give you certainty that your pins wont move, they give you more steering and they make rebuilding a breeze. They are probably the favourite thing I have on my car
Thanks both of you, I will be trying these suggestions. Can't wait to get more track time on this car, I really like it.
Owen RaCing is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 AM
  #9577  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,799
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

ONE 416X lipo chassis came in...may be a little while...
stitchy is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 PM
  #9578  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (43)
 
transplantlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL/St.Petersburg,FL
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)
Default

anyone know where i can find the new lipo chassis in the states speedtech is sold out
transplantlife is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 06:08 PM
  #9579  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
TRF4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 446
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

tried the spec-r gear diff on my 416x today at local track.... got more corner speed and seems to be leak free at this stage gone through 2 packs
....use 2 shims per side and greased up o-rings and also use gasket glue on gasket...will see how long it will be leak free
TRF4evr is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 06:42 PM
  #9580  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
kschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kota Kinabalu,Sabah
Posts: 4,598
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

3racing geardiff instock here
kschu is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
  #9581  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TRF4evr View Post
tried the spec-r gear diff on my 416x today at local track.... got more corner speed and seems to be leak free at this stage gone through 2 packs
....use 2 shims per side and greased up o-rings and also use gasket glue on gasket...will see how long it will be leak free
It'll probably still leak a bit through the orings, but not too much. I wonder when the new clear orings will be available

I'm hoping the 3r gear diff is just as good, I love the Spec R but it got sloppy so fast. I know the gears are like $5 but the whole point of the gear diff is so you don't have to rebuild it
CraigM is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 PM
  #9582  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a 416X kit. Been looking through setup sheets and besides the kit suspension blocks, 1D blocks are used as well. Are there any other suspension blocks that are essential to have?

Thanks...
cvccsi is offline  
Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 AM
  #9583  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (15)
 
M-Technic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,562
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cvccsi View Post
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a 416X kit. Been looking through setup sheets and besides the kit suspension blocks, 1D blocks are used as well. Are there any other suspension blocks that are essential to have?

Thanks...
Except for a 1D at the very back of the car (to give 2.5* rear toe) I am using the stock blocks all around. It's nice to have a couple spares because I've seen people bend them.
M-Technic is offline  
Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 AM
  #9584  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
It'll probably still leak a bit through the orings, but not too much. I wonder when the new clear orings will be available

I'm hoping the 3r gear diff is just as good, I love the Spec R but it got sloppy so fast. I know the gears are like $5 but the whole point of the gear diff is so you don't have to rebuild it
They do have new o-rings out but they are not clear. I haven't had the chance to run them yet but I will this weekend.
PitNamedGordie is offline  
Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
  #9585  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by M-Technic View Post
Except for a 1D at the very back of the car (to give 2.5* rear toe) I am using the stock blocks all around. It's nice to have a couple spares because I've seen people bend them.
Thank you.
cvccsi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.