Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 AM
  #8611  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
HK416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 218
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I've tested the Smokem chassis yesterday and very happy with the handling ,no weight added and the only thing I tried was Pink Yokomo spring front and Tamiya blue rear but the yokomo does'nt fit well as is slightly wider springs. The track was medium traction and slightly bumpy as well . Fast corner exits slight oversteer maybe to the Smokem steering brace. Other then that everything was quite good, I'm satisfied. If you can shift the rx and esc close to the centerline to get good balance. Cheers
HK416 is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 AM
  #8612  
Tech Master
iTrader: (37)
 
DirtyDog3375's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Queenslander
Posts: 1,977
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Smokem 416x

Just put my Smokem chassis on my 416x. It is at race weight of 1425grams. (uses 50grams down centreline and 17 grams in front of lipo and PT)

I will get to test it over the weekend on 2 different tracks. (both large outdoor).





DirtyDog3375 is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 AM
  #8613  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (94)
 
colt1402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 898
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

I am glad to hear all good comments abt the Smokem chassis. I am patiently awaiting for the post man to show up!!
colt1402 is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM
  #8614  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
JKL1031's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 518
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375 View Post
Just put my Smokem chassis on my 416x. It is at race weight of 1425grams. (uses 50grams down centreline and 17 grams in front of lipo and PT)

I will get to test it over the weekend on 2 different tracks. (both large outdoor).
Man that thing looks like it will scat. I showed my dad in hope he would be be as impressed and offer to buy me one.
JKL1031 is offline  
Old 04-02-2010, 04:45 PM
  #8615  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (29)
 
Yokomo_Ant3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,412
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=DirtyDog3375;7219657]Just put my Smokem chassis on my 416x. It is at race weight of 1425grams. (uses 50grams down centreline and 17 grams in front of lipo and PT)

I will get to test it over the weekend on 2 different tracks. (both large outdoor).




Very Nice Leonard
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline  
Old 04-03-2010, 09:58 PM
  #8616  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
BigRon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cbus,Ohio USA
Posts: 451
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

How much of a difference would the average club racer notice between the 416WE and 416X? Also would one version be more suited for asphalt racing than the other?
BigRon is offline  
Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 PM
  #8617  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (67)
 
Taman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GC, Aust
Posts: 905
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Exotech Vs Smokem

It looks like a few people have bought the Smokem chassis for the 416, Exotech also make a lipo chassis, is there any particular reason for choosing one over the other. The Exotech chassis is dearer but I havent seen any tests on it yet.


cheers

Last edited by Taman; 04-04-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: poor spelling :p
Taman is offline  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:05 AM
  #8618  
Tech Adept
 
StevenOlsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 176
Default

Originally Posted by Taman View Post
It looks like a few people have bought the Smokem chassis for the 416, Excotech also make a lipo chassis, is there any particular reason for choosing one over the other. The Exoctech chassis is dearer but I havent seen any tests on it yet.


cheers
I have bought the Smokem chassis and the reason that i choose the smokem over the exotek is
1. i dont like the way the servo is mounted.
2. the way the batteries are taped.
3. the danish TRF driver Steen Graversen prefered the stock chassis over the exotek.
StevenOlsen is offline  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:52 AM
  #8619  
Tech Elite
 
dameetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sky
Posts: 2,556
Default

Originally Posted by Taman View Post
It looks like a few people have bought the Smokem chassis for the 416, Excotech also make a lipo chassis, is there any particular reason for choosing one over the other. The Exoctech chassis is dearer but I havent seen any tests on it yet.


cheers
I have an Exotek 416XL chassis, I have just finished installing it. Pics below...





I haven't tested it yet...hopefully by today. The thickness is 2mm. I have few points to highlight here when using this chassis.

1) The 'L' shape weight (front) will touch the front steering post if you set the batt at the most inward position. So you can only use middle and outer position.

2) There are 2 positions for the batt Forward like 416WE and Rear 416X.....again the 'L' shape weight only allow you to use the rear position coz the steering system will touch the 'L' weight when putting left steering (you can't get full left steering)

3) I haven't weight my car yet but when I tried to balance it, its too heavy at the batt side. I wish Exotek would make the 'L' shape weight in thin pieces ie 5-10grams each so I can just add or remove it accordingly.

Other than that I think I m happy with the quality of this Exotek 416XL chassis and hope it will handle better than the ori one.
dameetz is offline  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 AM
  #8620  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

are the other smokem runners flipping the centre shaft along with the rest of the drivetrain?
CraigM is offline  
Old 04-04-2010, 01:18 AM
  #8621  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (67)
 
Taman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GC, Aust
Posts: 905
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the replies StevenOlsen & dameetz, appreciate it. I'm trying to decide which chassis to get.
Taman is offline  
Old 04-04-2010, 01:20 AM
  #8622  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
TRF4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 447
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default s

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
are the other smokem runners flipping the centre shaft along with the rest of the drivetrain?
I did with mine, it looks though the spur gear has moved further away from the motor, I suppose depends on the length of the motor shaft for pinion.
TRF4evr is offline  
Old 04-04-2010, 03:44 AM
  #8623  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
How much of a difference would the average club racer notice between the 416WE and 416X? Also would one version be more suited for asphalt racing than the other?
There's next to no difference for all but the top ~5% of racers. The X has a bit more rear grip, but you should be able to make either work on asphalt
CraigM is offline  
Old 04-04-2010, 03:56 AM
  #8624  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (118)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,231
Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default

DAMEETZ:

Very nice.. I also got the Exotek and still building it.

A couple questions though... where did you get the "BLUE" Diff seals?

And is that a 17.5 motor? What kind is it and where did you get it?

Are those the new TRF Black short springs? I don't believe the long ones are available yet?


thanks,
Chris



Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
I have an Exotek 416XL chassis, I have just finished installing it. Pics below...


I haven't tested it yet...hopefully by today. The thickness is 2mm. I have few points to highlight here when using this chassis.

1) The 'L' shape weight (front) will touch the front steering post if you set the batt at the most inward position. So you can only use middle and outer position.

2) There are 2 positions for the batt Forward like 416WE and Rear 416X.....again the 'L' shape weight only allow you to use the rear position coz the steering system will touch the 'L' weight when putting left steering (you can't get full left steering)

3) I haven't weight my car yet but when I tried to balance it, its too heavy at the batt side. I wish Exotek would make the 'L' shape weight in thin pieces ie 5-10grams each so I can just add or remove it accordingly.

Other than that I think I m happy with the quality of this Exotek 416XL chassis and hope it will handle better than the ori one.
Chris Furman is offline  
Old 04-04-2010, 05:34 AM
  #8625  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: moving around
Posts: 600
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
hansenhon, go for the 416x and you will not have any regrets.
ya.. thx... really keen on TRF416X...
hansenhon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.