Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Reply

Old 09-20-2009, 12:14 PM
  #6646  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

i had a race today indoors

first one of the year

it went well 1st final i got hit and it broke a spool outdrive then i started out last in the 2nd and finished 4th started the next final in 4th and again got hit in the first corner !! busted again !!

started from the rear again in the 4th final and ended 4th and in the last final i started again from the rear of the grid ( safest option i thought ) and finished 2nd
sidecarphil1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:47 PM
  #6647  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,441
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
i had a race today indoors

first one of the year

it went well 1st final i got hit and it broke a spool outdrive then i started out last in the 2nd and finished 4th started the next final in 4th and again got hit in the first corner !! busted again !!

started from the rear again in the 4th final and ended 4th and in the last final i started again from the rear of the grid ( safest option i thought ) and finished 2nd
Nice work mate! It's always hard starting from the middle of the grid. Indoor would be even worse...
veecee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:50 PM
  #6648  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (138)
 
SammyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
i had a race today indoors

first one of the year

it went well 1st final i got hit and it broke a spool outdrive then i started out last in the 2nd and finished 4th started the next final in 4th and again got hit in the first corner !! busted again !!

started from the rear again in the 4th final and ended 4th and in the last final i started again from the rear of the grid ( safest option i thought ) and finished 2nd
congradulations mate! What did you break when you started the final in 4th?
SammyZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:00 PM
  #6649  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (47)
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 16,698
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
So was the air duct a bad idea or something? How come it's not in the WE kit? There's not much there to mount the speedo to -- what do you guys do?
I've never run the air duct, but even without it, there is plenty of material to mount the ESC to, I have never had one come loose and they are still a pain to pry off of the chassis.
Randy Caster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:06 PM
  #6650  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (47)
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 16,698
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

I got a chance to race yesterday at a smaller track that I haven't been to in a while. Gotta say it's the first time in a long time that I really struggled on the setup, just never was able to get dialed in. I think it's time for a full rebuild on my car, too many parts getting sloppy Still managed to salvage 2'nd place, had to hold off about 5 or 6 seperate attacks in order to keep the position, Barry Baker got a great start and drove clean and won by a mile.
Randy Caster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:30 PM
  #6651  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,196
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
I got a chance to race yesterday at a smaller track that I haven't been to in a while. Gotta say it's the first time in a long time that I really struggled on the setup, just never was able to get dialed in. I think it's time for a full rebuild on my car, too many parts getting sloppy Still managed to salvage 2'nd place, had to hold off about 5 or 6 seperate attacks in order to keep the position, Barry Baker got a great start and drove clean and won by a mile.
What surface? What was the car doing wrong?
syndr0me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:39 PM
  #6652  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (47)
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 16,698
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Asphalt. The car didn't really do anything wrong, it just wasn't nearly as good as it usually is. I'm going to strip it down to the chassis and rebuild the car completely, I have a feeling just too many parts are worn out on it right now.. I've been lazy

I was using the Mazda 6, but I feel like the Mazdaspeed 6 would have been a better choice. I meant to pack it, but totally forgot, lol.
Randy Caster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 PM
  #6653  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (138)
 
SammyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default

has anybody experienced bending/breaking of the stock
aluminum ball studs and turnbuckles?
SammyZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:51 PM
  #6654  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,441
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Yep, I've bent the ackerman ones before and changed them to steel. Also bent steering turnbuckles and changed them to titanium.
veecee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:14 PM
  #6655  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
sudhar93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Subang
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

So far ive only bent the steering linkage once.
sudhar93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:34 PM
  #6656  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
congradulations mate! What did you break when you started the final in 4th?
another spool outdrive

i also spoke with another tamiya driver and he advised using the 46mm steel shafts

which i did and from then on it was plain sailing , but i was soooooo nervous on the drivers stand holding off the guys behind me , they were quicker than me but didn't force past , it was nice and clean racing

i honestly thought i was going to shit my self stood on the drivers stand , it is my best every result , and on carpet which i have never raced on before only practiced at our local tiny indoor track
sidecarphil1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:11 AM
  #6657  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 68
Default

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
has anybody experienced bending/breaking of the stock
aluminum ball studs and turnbuckles?
Yeah during a sideways barrier swipe i managed to turn one of the rear ally turnbuckles into a U shape!

I have steel ones on the rear now.
Toblerone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:24 AM
  #6658  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,441
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
Asphalt. The car didn't really do anything wrong, it just wasn't nearly as good as it usually is. I'm going to strip it down to the chassis and rebuild the car completely, I have a feeling just too many parts are worn out on it right now.. I've been lazy
Yeh a rebuild every now and then is good. I did mine a couple of weeks ago and found some things I wouldn't have otherwise - eg a slightly bent hinge pin. No idea how long I've been running with that as I haven't broken an arm for a while... Also replaced all the plastic shock parts and worn ball nuts/studs with some fluorine coated items. While I was at it, I put in some foam washers like the offroaders do. Hopefully this will make the ball nuts/studs will last longer. Also replaced a set of shock shafts after the nitride coating wore through. I'm now itching to get this baby back onto the track!
veecee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 AM
  #6659  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (138)
 
SammyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default

i noticed the coating on my new shock shafts wore off after maybe 20 runs. Im not going to replace them again this time as I did not notice any difference, except i was out $12
SammyZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 AM
  #6660  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
i noticed the coating on my new shock shafts wore off after maybe 20 runs. Im not going to replace them again this time as I did not notice any difference, except i was out $12
+1
sidecarphil1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service