Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by myan_gsr
Hey guys need some setup advice. I'm basically running a box stock Worlds Edition 416 with an Orion 17.5 on rubber tyres (low grip asphalt track).
The turning radius seem quite large when im on power and it makes it really hard to drive fast. What areas should I be looking into.

Thanks in advance ,
Steve
You can also play with your ackermann setup (shims on your steering rack or ball stud location on your steering knuckles). My car has tons of on-power steering in 17.5. I think a little too much.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
Great! Glad it worked out for you. I know the pegs were about the right width for the TA05 pulleys but I wasnt sure if the 416 pulleys were the same. How did you shave them? Dremel?
What about AE slipper pads for their TC5R? Anyone try those yet?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
What about AE slipper pads for their TC5R? Anyone try those yet?
Should also work assuming the diff rings are the same size and thickness.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
You can also play with your ackermann setup (shims on your steering rack or ball stud location on your steering knuckles). My car has tons of on-power steering in 17.5. I think a little too much.
How many/what thickness shims should I remove or add, and what is the effect?

In the past i've never chosen to run anti roll bars because I found they lessen the effect of made by other suspension tweaks. I tried a tamiya yellow springs at the front but it seemed to do little. Will a red anti roll bar at the front help? or should I remove them completely?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, I just want to get my head around it
Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

In the past i've never chosen to run anti roll bars because I found they lessen the effect of made by other suspension tweaks. I tried a tamiya yellow springs at the front but it seemed to do little. Will a red anti roll bar at the front help? or should I remove them completely?

If grip is REALLY low, then yes, I'd either run only a front red sway bar or take both off . personally, I like having at least one sway bar on mine at all times, so in low grip conditions I'll run a front red one & none in the rear, plus I'll try to lengthen my camber links as much as possible & soften the springs & use lighter shock oil. As a matter of curiosity, just what tires are you using, & what conditions do you race in(like type of track surface, track temperature, clean, dirty, etc.)? Generally, tires are the single biggest factor in finding grip, if you have the wrong ones for a given situation, then it'll be hard to get working....
Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

First thing I'd do is put an E block on the rear in place of the F, and reduce your front droop. I run on a very similar track and I always use the kit rollbars. Since you only said your push is on power you'll want to steer clear from things like springs and roll bars as these will affect off power too

as an aside, you might want to try the HPI springs for asphalt as they seem to work better than the tamiyas on most tracks. I'm running silver fronts and blue rears at the moment and my car is working very nicely
Old 03-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
If grip is REALLY low, then yes, I'd either run only a front red sway bar or take both off . personally, I like having at least one sway bar on mine at all times, so in low grip conditions I'll run a front red one & none in the rear, plus I'll try to lengthen my camber links as much as possible & soften the springs & use lighter shock oil. As a matter of curiosity, just what tires are you using, & what conditions do you race in(like type of track surface, track temperature, clean, dirty, etc.)? Generally, tires are the single biggest factor in finding grip, if you have the wrong ones for a given situation, then it'll be hard to get working....
Hey thanks for the detailed response

Nice I thought you needed both sway bars for balance. I race on a permanent track which was a converted asphalt tennis court. the surface is quite coarse. We race at night under lights at about 7:30 PM so the track temp progressively gets colder as the night goes on. Most nights at the moment Track temp is around the 25-30C mark so i run preheated (45Deg C tyre temp) Sorex 32's or 28's accordingly (20's or 24's in winter). The track is usually blown before we commence racing at the start of the night so the dirt isn't really a problem here.

Pic of track (zoom in a bit)
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...01486&t=h&z=20

I've also tried the car at another track which has asphalt surface with 30% rubber content. It still has bad turning radius though the car still over steers off throttle on corner entry.

Thanks for help!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CraigM
First thing I'd do is put an E block on the rear in place of the F, and reduce your front droop. I run on a very similar track and I always use the kit rollbars. Since you only said your push is on power you'll want to steer clear from things like springs and roll bars as these will affect off power too

as an aside, you might want to try the HPI springs for asphalt as they seem to work better than the tamiyas on most tracks. I'm running silver fronts and blue rears at the moment and my car is working very nicely

Hey thanks for this advice! Its gonna be a crazy test session on the weekend!

I'll try the E-block tonight, and if I'm correct that should give me 3Deg toe in at the rear. hmm I was contemplating on the HPI springs from reading the past posts, do you know if they sell them in a complete set?

Steve
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Did you try the Atsushi Hara springs? How would they compare to the HPI ones?
thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

I love my Hara springs on asphalt. Maybe I should try HPI silvers next time out.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Converted the hara springs Grey, black, purple to lbs/in:

Gray - S/soft - 13.99
Black - M/medium - 15.11
Purple - H/hard - 16.24

oh, used this for conversion:

http://www.hraefn.net/projects/spring_rates.php
Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

Myan_gsr our tracks sound very similar, ours is a converted tennis court and we race at night under lights as well as weekends. Victor Wilck's reedy race setup from last year is a great starting point, just incline the front shocks one hole on the tower and raise the rear RC a fraction

Redbones/jimmy I haven't tried the hara springs but I know someone who runs them on his 416 with good results. I'm not sure if it means anything but all the tamiya pros run the hpi's and hara was using them too at the worlds.

I wouldn't worry about getting a full set of the hpi's tho, I've just got a set (4) of silver and blue and they've served me well at every track I've raced on... asphalt only

P.s more ackerman spacers as suggested above will hurt on power steering not help it
Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Tech Master

Myan_gsr our tracks sound very similar, ours is a converted tennis court and we race at night under lights as well as weekends. Victor Wilck's reedy race setup from last year is a great starting point, just incline the front shocks one hole on the tower and raise the rear RC a fraction

Redbones/jimmy I haven't tried the hara springs but I know someone who runs them on his 416 with good results. I'm not sure if it means anything but all the tamiya pros run the hpi's and hara was using them too at the worlds.

I wouldn't worry about getting a full set of the hpi's tho, I've just got a set (4) of silver and blue and they've served me well at every track I've raced on... asphalt only

P.s more ackerman spacers as suggested above will hurt on power steering not help it
Got part#s for those HPI springs? Thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

found a nice 416WE pic on the net of my car racing on the ETS in Warsaw 2 weeks ago:

On carpet I prefer Tamiya springs. But on asphalt HPI springs are working more constant. The Tamiya springs are quite nervous to drive.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by redbones
Got part#s for those HPI springs? Thanks
6542 and 6543. HPI Spring Chart - http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/in...2-V9-Color.jpg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.