Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 02-05-2009, 07:11 AM
  #4306  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (47)
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 16,716
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bigkoitat View Post
I know this qustion has been answered elsewhere on this thread but I just ordered the 416 WE car and noticed the front swing shaft is aluminum. So I ordered the steel swing shaft, the question I have is what is advantage of the 46 over the 44? The specs on the car showed 44 for the front and rear, and I read in this thread and on Tryhard's site to go with 46's.
For the WE kit, you will need 44mm in the front and 42mm in the rear, this is what the kit includes. You wouldn't be able to fit 46's in the front or 44's in the rear without clearance issues.
Randy Caster is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 AM
  #4307  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

According to: http://www.thard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29

"Dogbones
The aluminium 44mm drive shafts on the front of the 416 are not particularly durable, and prone to twisting. To get round this use the 46mm Steel ones from 415 on front (TAM51092). However, if using the front one-way, youíll need to remove the o-ring from outdrive cup to stop binding. Itís tight, but the dogbone just clears, even with B/A front suspension blocks and the short LWT arms."
or8ital is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 07:51 AM
  #4308  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

There are metal ones that are 44mm long available. My aluminum ones didn't quite last 2 race days.
John St.Amant is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
  #4309  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (47)
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 16,716
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

The worlds kit includes the short front arms. I've never tried a 46mm shaft up front, but there are steel 44mm shafts to get around the issue. The aluminum bones have held up great for me so far, only bent one so far.
Randy Caster is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 AM
  #4310  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (30)
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,531
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
The worlds kit includes the short front arms. I've never tried a 46mm shaft up front, but there are steel 44mm shafts to get around the issue. The aluminum bones have held up great for me so far, only bent one so far.
Most of us can't drive like you Mr. Invite driver Congrats on that bro. I finally get to run the Orion speedo and my Tamiya this weekend. I hope all goes well.
STLNLST is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 09:16 AM
  #4311  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
bigkoitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 608
Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default

Thanks for the info guys, when I ordered the car I ordered the steel 44's with it. The 46 would've been to long.
bigkoitat is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 AM
  #4312  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,447
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bigkoitat View Post
Thanks for the info guys, when I ordered the car I ordered the steel 44's with it. The 46 would've been to long.
I've been running 46's up front with B/B blocks and spool since April. No problems here.

Anyone wanna buy a 416, Tamiya is coming out with a 1/8 buggy... time to switch back to offroad!
JimmyMac is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
  #4313  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,267
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by g12314 View Post
Anyone have a 416WE topdeck they want to sell here in the US?

Thanks,
Jimmy
only had 1 lot arrived in HK ,
but sold out ,
we waitting Tamiya next shipment .
RC MARKET is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
  #4314  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (47)
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 16,716
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Most of us can't drive like you Mr. Invite driver Congrats on that bro. I finally get to run the Orion speedo and my Tamiya this weekend. I hope all goes well.
Haha, thanks, got my hands full at that race for sure!
Randy Caster is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
  #4315  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (4)
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,370
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
According to: http://www.thard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29

"Dogbones
The aluminium 44mm drive shafts on the front of the 416 are not particularly durable, and prone to twisting. To get round this use the 46mm Steel ones from 415 on front (TAM51092). However, if using the front one-way, youíll need to remove the o-ring from outdrive cup to stop binding. Itís tight, but the dogbone just clears, even with B/A front suspension blocks and the short LWT arms."
haha, that's very true...

but, I think i need to update that statement a bit, as the 44mm steels are now avaliable. Yes, you cna use 46's, but I would recomend the 44's, simply as they bind less... especially when running a narrower front end (C/C and narrower).

I tried this the other week when I snapped a pin off of one 44 driveshaft, put 46's in, and the increase in chatter was noticeable, along with the car not feeling right. Borrowed some 44's, and was back to normal...

HiH
Ed
TryHard is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 11:28 AM
  #4316  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (47)
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 16,716
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
I've been running 46's up front with B/B blocks and spool since April. No problems here.

Anyone wanna buy a 416, Tamiya is coming out with a 1/8 buggy... time to switch back to offroad!
The 801X looks sick, it's got a lot in common with the XT but with some new ideas that Dave Jun and Ryan Lutz have worked on. I think theres a pic of it on RedRC as well..
Randy Caster is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
  #4317  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
The 801X looks sick, it's got a lot in common with the XT but with some new ideas that Dave Jun and Ryan Lutz have worked on. I think theres a pic of it on RedRC as well..
My gf has banned me from getting one already! Like most trfs it's a piece of art, I can't wait to get one. Now if they'd just bring out a nitro tourer and a 12th I'd have an all tamiya garage
CraigM is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 PM
  #4318  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
My gf has banned me from getting one already! Like most trfs it's a piece of art, I can't wait to get one. Now if they'd just bring out a nitro tourer and a 12th I'd have an all tamiya garage
BAND ! BANNED? OMG ! sorry man... Want a good deal on a 501x?
She will be roud of you getting it on such a discount! Oh , Wait .. you wanted the 416... WAITER! theres a fly in my soup. dONT WORRY , hE WON'T EAT MUCH
John St.Amant is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 07:17 PM
  #4319  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,447
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
The 801X looks sick, it's got a lot in common with the XT but with some new ideas that Dave Jun and Ryan Lutz have worked on. I think theres a pic of it on RedRC as well..
Yeah, that's where I saw it. Just looks sweet! Must have!
JimmyMac is offline  
Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 PM
  #4320  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
bigkoitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 608
Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default

Thank You Randy and Tryhard for the info, I just finished building the 416WE and it went together nicely Should be running it this Sunday weather permitting. Couple days ago i built the 415MSXX-MRE and advancement to the 416 is unbelievable! But it still a very good car.
bigkoitat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.