Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

+1
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
I've been trying many different ways and places to put that file but it always trunkates prematurely. The link (file) is incompleet or something . I cant even get it to go to my desktop. Damnit I realy want to check it out too..
Is there another place I can d/l it ?
ED!?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

guys, i've put the 416 calc on my web server..
http://www.epracer.com/docs/TRF416%2...0Calc%20v1.zip

maybe you can try it from here, its the same file that ED posted and it works for me?

-Mark
Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thanks Mark,

That worked...
Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Thanks Mark,

That worked...
+1
Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Hi Ed, I noticed when you put the WE set up into the front page you get different static RC values than on the set up tab
Good spot Craig. I'll get the changed now. I only copied the values over from the previous version, so forgot to update it now it works properly... Doh!

@ Hebiki.
The static roll centre is calculated using the ground as a reference point, along the centre line of the car. Minus figures means it is below the ground, postitive above. In answer to your question... -5 would roll more than -2, as the roll centre moves closer to the Centre of Gravity (which I think we can safely assume is above the ground... )

HiH
Ed
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

right, updated version with correct kit setups.... and a how to use bit on the front page

Also, for thoose that can't get the zip too work (has to be a zip to post on here), the file is also on my website as the excel sheet here

Regards
Ed
Attached Files

Last edited by TryHard; 02-04-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Good spot Craig. I'll get the changed now. I only copied the values over from the previous version, so forgot to update it now it works properly... Doh!

@ Hebiki.
The static roll centre is calculated using the ground as a reference point, along the centre line of the car. Minus figures means it is below the ground, postitive above. In answer to your question... -5 would roll more than -2, as the roll centre moves closer to the Centre of Gravity (which I think we can safely assume is above the ground... )

HiH
Ed
Okay so... static roll center instead of just roll center . What would I expect from a lower number ? More camber gain durring compression? Help me out here. Please and thank you .
Old 02-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Static roll centre is simply that, it's the point the car would start to roll around.
A lower static roll centre will give an idication of overall roll centre, and can be used as a guide for determining how the changes will affect it. As a rule of thumb, a lower roll centre will give more roll, and hence more grip, but slower reaction.

Roll centre moves as the car rolls (dynamicaly)... and thats way to complex for me to calculate!

HiH
Ed
Old 02-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Static roll centre is simply that, it's the point the car would start to roll around.
A lower static roll centre will give an idication of overall roll centre, and can be used as a guide for determining how the changes will affect it. As a rule of thumb, a lower roll centre will give more roll, and hence more grip, but slower reaction.

Roll centre moves as the car rolls (dynamicaly)... and thats way to complex for me to calculate!

HiH
Ed
Sounds good . But umm... How should I corrilate the static roll center with what im more concerned about . camber gain! is -4 in the rear what u get with stock 416we settings? no axel shim and kit comes with 4mm adapters.
-1.88 in front. on the guages im getting similar camber gain readings but twice the static value . I'm missing something here.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Now Available!

"Custom Cut Urethane Chassis Protector" for the TRF416 #49495.

Last edited by Rommel; 02-04-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
Sounds good . But umm... How should I corrilate the static roll center with what im more concerned about . camber gain! is -4 in the rear what u get with stock 416we settings? no axel shim and kit comes with 4mm adapters.
-1.88 in front. on the guages im getting similar camber gain readings but twice the static value . I'm missing something here.
the static rc is a reference point, it's where the centrifugal force is applied when the car rolls. -1.88 means it's 1.88mm below the centre of rotation, so the centrifugal force has little leverage on the car compared with the rear which has more than twice the leverage at -4mm i.e. the rear will roll more and should grip accordingly.

Put another way, I don't believe the static RC height has a direct impact on camber gain, but rather you can achieve the same RC while altering the camber gain via the upper arm lengths
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
the static rc is a reference point, it's where the centrifugal force is applied when the car rolls. -1.88 means it's 1.88mm below the centre of rotation, so the centrifugal force has little leverage on the car compared with the rear which has more than twice the leverage at -4mm i.e. the rear will roll more and should grip accordingly.

Put another way, I don't believe the static RC height has a direct impact on camber gain, but rather you can achieve the same RC while altering the camber gain via the upper arm lengths
I had spent an hour or so playing with #'s here and there.
Confusing a bit I'd say as the width of the car changed , so did the Static Roll center . More negative . from wider . then it hit me.
I am going to like this tool . If some one could ascimilate a profile of an upright and some pivot points so one could analize the geometry at work.
That would be outa sight ! line segments would do just fine.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

I know this qustion has been answered elsewhere on this thread but I just ordered the 416 WE car and noticed the front swing shaft is aluminum. So I ordered the steel swing shaft, the question I have is what is advantage of the 46 over the 44? The specs on the car showed 44 for the front and rear, and I read in this thread and on Tryhard's site to go with 46's.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anyone have a 416WE topdeck they want to sell here in the US?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 02-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by g12314 View Post
Anyone have a 416WE topdeck they want to sell here in the US?

Thanks,
Jimmy
NO, but there is a company in Finland selling one they make themselves. If you look back in this thread you will find it. They have great service and fast delivery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.