R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree3Likes

Old 11-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #3301
Tech Regular

It could be that he was in the middle of threading the hole when he had to go to the bathroom in a hurry because the spicey Thia dinner from the night before was about to kick-in.
part-time racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #3302
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
Actually I think that screw is an extra motor screw and the knuckle is a convenient place to store it. Hara has also does the same in the past.
I was going to suggest something like that .... but more than likely would have been critisized for suggesting that. It would have been funny to see how many people would have put screwn in there and tell us how much faster they were by using it.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #3303
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
Actually I think that screw is an extra motor screw and the knuckle is a convenient place to store it. Hara has also does the same in the past.
I'm less inclinded to go with that, simply as we know that there is only one loose screw when undoing the motor (top one is held captive by the top deck)... and you can also clearly see the cells taped in. So unless Marc has been using only one screw to hold in the motor....

Otherwise, who knows!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #3304
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

He probably did it so he could laugh at people speculating what it was on the internet
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #3305
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
He probably did it so he could laugh at people speculating what it was on the internet
Hope so, then maybe he can post his setup while he's having a chuckle

I'd love to know what weight oils they are running and how much rebound they're giving it, I didnt see any orings on the shock shafts of the tamiya cars so I wonder if they are running no rebound, or even full
Old 11-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #3306
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

somehow everyone seems to think rebound is a tuning thing.. its just for making shocks equal and not overfilled. use it as a vernier.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #3307
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I'm less inclinded to go with that, simply as we know that there is only one loose screw when undoing the motor (top one is held captive by the top deck)... and you can also clearly see the cells taped in. So unless Marc has been using only one screw to hold in the motor....

Otherwise, who knows!
Oh! Perhaps he put the screw from the steering post there to make up for the added flex in the top plate....
Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #3308
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
somehow everyone seems to think rebound is a tuning thing.. its just for making shocks equal and not overfilled. use it as a vernier.
Here we go again. Where's the 1:1 analogy? Oh wait, they do tune the rebound of full size shocks. Moron

Coming from someone who has actualy tried setup changes other than "springs and oil" I can tell you the difference between 4mm and 2mm of rebound is noticeable and can be used as a "tuning thing"
Old 11-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #3309
Tech Master

Sure on a buggy... but the fact of the matter is that the rebound on a road shock has little or no effect on the handeling of your car. A drag racing shock on a real car is usually a 90/10 rated shock . If you havnt noticed, rebound only happens when you extend the shock all the way out and compressit all the way in. Then and only then the preasure difference above the piston makes the shaft return. Now either you have too much rebound... meaning there is more oil in there than needed and that would cause a leaky oring or even wirse a blown out shock. In some circumstances if there is a bladder involved and the bladder is allowed to compress air above it , it merely gives a place to relieve excess preasure and not allow pack. If you hadnt realized that once your shock is on the car , the piston is about half way down and is limited by the droop screw and the mechanical limit of the car itself. Shock absorbers for real cars have these settings and are far more complicated than what we use them for. They simply dampen the effect of the spring so it doesnt bounce like a car that needs new struts. Rebound my effect your buggy where the arms are allowed to droop to the full extent of the travel of the shock. Try this.. build your shock with 50 % rebound and let it sit in the middle of its travel for a min with no spring. Then compress it to 75% and see for yourself how far the shock returns. Not much ! We Dont have nitrogen gas cartridges and pre programmed mechanical valving.. Just a puck with holes in it and oil. The oil controlles the damping and the spring controlls the rate of return. Stiffer springs usually require thicker oil and visa versa. Put a heavy spring over light oil and the car bounces. Do the opposite and the oil doesnt allow the spring keep the tires on the ground. A 90/10 shock has almost nothing for the down stroke but dampens heavily after hard acceleration (if your car can pull up the front end) so the car doesnt slam the ground and kill your e.t. from dragging the K frame at the 60 ft mark. Our shocks are not that involved. Rebound is to make 2 or 4 equal shocks that wont blow out. I have spent alot of time playing with shocks,,,, maybe too much. Bladders and droop screws on touring cars make things like pack obsolete and obscure. over fill and blow out .. underfill and suck bubbles. thats all!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #3310
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Here we go again. Where's the 1:1 analogy? Oh wait, they do tune the rebound of full size shocks. Moron

Coming from someone who has actualy tried setup changes other than "springs and oil" I can tell you the difference between 4mm and 2mm of rebound is noticeable and can be used as a "tuning thing"
I would wager you are one of those guys that insists you can tell the 3 micro second delay in a radio system.... thats impossible! Any one saying so is on something. And calling someone a name isnt what men do.. Its childish . Or perhaps the internet is a shield for pre-teens to express their self pronounced rightousness to their friends. And 2mm more droop? Please! Your halucinating.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #3311
Tech Champion

Quote:
Sure on a buggy... but the fact of the matter is that the rebound on a road shock has little or no effect on the handeling of your car.
It's not a fact, it's an opinion and it's not even a correct one. I'm not going to waste my time explaining to you but when people ask about rebound I'll be happy to help them with my experiences of tuning with it
Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #3312
Tech Master

You say that but in rebuttle you dont explain anything. Your road shocks dont move enough to affect it. if the shocks move 5mm at all ... u think 2mm of rebound is gonna change . What are you doing running -5mm of droop? maybe its time to use a touring car instead of the mugen buggy on the pavment...
Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #3313
Tech Champion

Quote:
I would wager you are one of those guys that insists you can tell the 3 micro second delay in a radio system.... thats impossible! Any one saying so is on something. And calling someone a name isnt what men do.. Its childish . Or perhaps the internet is a shield for pre-teens to express their self pronounced rightousness to their friends. And 2mm more droop? Please! Your halucinating.
too funny, advice on how to be a man by the biggest baby on rctech
Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #3314
Tech Regular

again!
berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #3315
Tech Master

I have experience setting up real cars. Including shock dynos and chassis setups, Like Porsche and Lotus and Ferrari for local racers that test at Gratten and Gingerman. Charles Hsu is "THE" Lotus tech in michigan and is factory trained. At Auto Europe where I work, we set up every Exciege specificaly for a customers wants and needs. Including Wheel allignment, roll bars, shocks , springs.... pretty much everything. They tought me everything. Including Tires.. compound, inflation. I am speaking from my personal experience, not just off the top of my head. Many racers and engineere alike have asked my opinion on several occations and have improved because of my input. Yet I learn something new almost every day. So if i may ask, what credentials do you have ? And are you so sure that whatever miniscule change you made in rebound wasnt in fact a change in grip from the track surface? Dont belittle someone whom you have no idea of his history or experience. You are more than welcome to express your opinion. Telling someone you are right and they arent doesnt mean its true.