Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How was your first time? Lots of pics! >

How was your first time? Lots of pics!

How was your first time? Lots of pics!

Old 05-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default How was your first time? Lots of pics!

How was your first time racing your R/C car? I was just out with my TC3 at the track for the first time today and had a blast.

I spent a lot of time setting up the car. It was not too bad, a little loose in the rear. I'll work on that the next time I'm at the track. I think it may be my rear droop.

I need to learn to stay off the boards, or buy stocks in Pro-Line Anyhow here are some pics of day 1.

Tell me about your first time.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

The first time I went to an r/c track wasnt' too long ago. I did very well too! I got first in the novice class for my first time racing. It turned out that driving a traxxas rustler around on the street for 4 years really helped pay off for being able to race well! Here's a tip, buy some shoe goo and apply it to the inside of your body in areas it's prone to breaking (front, wheel wells, ect.). Don't put on too much or it will add weight. But at the beginner level I think it's more important for your body to hold up than for your body to weigh a slight bit more.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

looks like you need a new body
Old 05-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

sounds like you had a blast, what are you going to do to add rear traction?
Old 05-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by racerdx6
The first time I went to an r/c track wasnt' too long ago. I did very well too! I got first in the novice class for my first time racing. It turned out that driving a traxxas rustler around on the street for 4 years really helped pay off for being able to race well! Here's a tip, buy some shoe goo and apply it to the inside of your body in areas it's prone to breaking (front, wheel wells, ect.). Don't put on too much or it will add weight. But at the beginner level I think it's more important for your body to hold up than for your body to weigh a slight bit more.

The first time i raced i got 1st place in novice out of 7 novice drivers. It was really fun but that was a few years ago now im doing truck and really doing good. Normally for truck out of 10-14 trucks i will place 1st-4th in the heats than in the main normally 1st.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I got second place in the B-Main, novice class on my first race. I had only 2 practice saturdays before the race and I was racing a second hand TA03R with plastic shocks and gear diffs. It felt great despite there being only 4 racers in the main

The second time I raced, I was using TRF414 (2nd hand). This time I took home the...

the 414 in pieces after my second qualifying run . One one-way joint cup was missing and the rear shock tower was loose after a gas car rammed it from behind during a practice run.

I'm looking forward for my third race.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

firrst time every body would get as far away from me as possible i was a disaster... breaking everything and everybody else's cars . Yeap i suck ... and that was in March of this year lol
Old 05-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

But at the beginner level I think it's more important for your body to hold up than for your body to weigh a slight bit more.
racerdx6 - I agree! I'll be getting some shoe goo and drywall tape Monday

traxxasdude - I also have an Alfa body, but I'm not using it untill I get better

what are you going to do to add rear traction
Johnnytc3 - I think I have too much rear droop, so I'm going to start there. I'll let you know how it works out.

Everyone has to start somewhere... My wife started with a Tamiya TAO-4, her car body still looks new Looks like I am going to need a lot more practicing, and tell her she can't drive any more j/k
Old 05-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default How was your first time?

rc-racer;

NOW THAT'S a race car!!

My First 'Modern' R/C car was an HPI Super Nitro. My first race was with an HPI Electric Pro-2.

We had a small permanent track close by and I practiced for several months before running in my first race. I would go to the races just to watch and talk with the other racers before I had the confidence to enter a race.
I didn't crash too much, but my Car was so SLOW compared to the other experienced racers cars. Think I ended up in 7th or 8th out of 9 entries.

PLAYING in the Street is easy compared to keeping you Car off the Boards on a Track. Going FAST and staying off the Boards, is even harder.

Good luck on your next race!
Old 05-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

I remember my firs race well, entered in two classes 540 with my TL01 and modified with my just assembled HPI Pro2 and a 12T motor on a really tight track.

540 was really good fun, finished towards the bottom of the pack but I was hooked on racing!

Modified - well I made it to the end of the first straight
Old 05-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My first race was about 4 or 5 years ago and I did it just as a winter diversion from racing Enduro Karts all summer long. I loved racing sims on my PC with the wheel and peddles too and thought-this is like the sims only more real-I gotta try it.

I bought a stock Losi Shelf Weapon off a guy, a cheap charger and went right into it.

I gotta brag or whatever and say I am a pretty damn good kart racer and I did great at Autocross as well. I'm fast, brave, consistent and prety good in a tight battle or in the braking zones.

But-I took up RC cars and I couldnt suck more at it if I tried!!! I had no problmes figuring out right and left going away or coming back-I just couldt stay off the boards. I SUUUUUCKED!!!! I busted up so many bodies and I broke almost every run for a long time.

I could replace broken suspension parts on a Street Weapon so fast you couldn't beleieve it. I had it down pat!!!!

Two bits of advice for newbies and this is HUGE!!! Get a high torque servo for your Sedans. HIgh speed and high torque is even better. And dont let people talk you into changing all your radio settings to help you drive. Maybe a litle exponential-but thats it!!!!

Well its been a few years now and I am still nowhere near as good as I thought I would be by now, but I am still addicted and having fun.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.