R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #16
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by smojoe View Post
I knew something bad was going to happen to them when tower hobbies stopped carrying their stuff....
No disrespect to Great Planes or Tower, but Tower is not a benchmark for what is or is not successful, at least not since Great Planes (Tower) and Horizon entrenched themselves with exclusive distributions deals and the like.

You will not see Horizon-exclusive products (Losi, JR, etc) sold through Tower, nor will you see Great Planes-exclusive prducts (O.S., Futaba, etc) sold through Horizon.

It's debatable whether or not these deals hurt or help the industry, but you'll see more exclusivity before you see less of it. Sometimes it is more painful for retailers than anything. As an example, we'd love to continue to carry Airtronics stuff, but they went exclusive with Global Hobby or were somehow acquired by them (don't read that as a rumor or anything, I am not sure as to what happened), and as a result we'd now have to maintain an account with Global and order through them, pay more shipping, and so on, just to get Airtronics stuff. It's a pain in the ass. And that's just one example, I don't mean to pick on Airtronics or Global.

As for Losi, they are not abandoning their race program, although they very keenly understand that the market is for RTRs above and beyond racing kits. Chevy or Dodge or Toyota spend a lot of money on their race teams in various series, but they make the bulk of their money selling consumer cars. Why is that? Think about it.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal View Post
As for Losi, they are not abandoning their race program, although they very keenly understand that the market is for RTRs above and beyond racing kits. Chevy or Dodge or Toyota spend a lot of money on their race teams in various series, but they make the bulk of their money selling consumer cars. Why is that? Think about it.
Maybe............

Because now nobody works there who is named Chevy or Dodge or Toyota!
Why is that? Think about it.

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I believe that the 8Ight and 8Ight-T are going to be the last race cars to come out of Losi.

Not sure why Horizon bought Losi to start pumping out RTR's. I believe a Sportworks Slider would sell just as well as a Losi one. The name recognition Losi has is with people already in the hobby, and those people would buy Losi products because they were well designed race oriented products. Now they arent, and the Losi name pretty much has been destroyed.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:04 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Default RTR vs Full Race kits at the hobby shop level

Most of the hobby market in on-road and off-road is RTR's. Talk to the owners of full line hobby stores and they say that RTR's are 85% of there business. With the US economy and hobby market being really flat, I'm amazed that the mfr's still throw so much money at sponsored drivers and NOT tracks. If I was a supplier to a hobby shop with a track, I would be doing everything I could to support the TRACK and offer some driver support. If the track goes belly up where are people going to race? In the past year, I have seen attendance go way down in the Midwest for electric and nitro on-road.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what I heard is Losi sold to horizon to build the brand with an influx of capital and then horizon started to change the marketing to RTR stuff and JR didn't like where it was going but had no say. he was pretty much R&D. So he either put his name out for hire or got a call from kyosho and decided to abandon ship and go to a company that is activally looking to get back into competive RC racing.
although I'm not sure if I want to see the X5 optima pro se gold jr edition with hyrda slipper.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

like many others, I am finding it hard to not be angry at Losi Sr. for selling out to Horizon....I dont know all the in and outs of what happened, but its just sad what has happened since...

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote