R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

When someone approaches me and asks how much. I tell them what it takes to get into the hobby (the cost of a RTR and some batteries, charger, etc) and then I tell them cost of what it takes to be "competitive" similar to what people have. A grand is probably at the low end for many of us. Im with BX, I would rather disappoint them then to later have them get angry when they find out the true cost. People forget about all the cost to race which I have estimated at close to $70 per race on avg (if you factor the cost of the car, chargers, etc into it).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #77
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jsl6v8

you seem to be taking this a bit personally so I'm going to go ahead and drop it, plus I think your arguements have actually helped make my point.
jsl6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #78
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Rock'sTC3 Send a message via Yahoo to Rock'sTC3

the thing is I didnt spend a grand to get started. I bought a used Tc3 100$, some old batteries 50 for 3 packs. A couple motors for 50$ and a body 30$ , set of tires 30$ and radio set 150$. I was racing and reasonably competative for under 500$. Granted I wasnt going to win the A-Main.

Then I upgraded so I have spent more than a grand easy. But I might not spend more than 100-200 a month upgrading. SO over time. It makes a huge difference. No one is going to walk into the hobby shop having never raced once and spend a grand to get out there and race.

Now I keep my Tc3 with me at all times. If a new guy walks up and wants to race. Is interested and such. Asks about it. I say hey let me get you on the track with this car. Run some laps and see how you like it. If he breaks a 10$ part or so then Oh well. I lost 10$ so what?? The times that has happened they have offered to pay for what ever they broke anyway. I might even say to the guy I will sell him everything he just drove for 200$. All he will need are some extra motors, batts and chargers. He can pit with me for a while and I will give him pointers. Granted I will explain that it wont make him competative but at least he will do okay in the Novice class and he can transfer some things to other cars later.
Rock'sTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl6v8 View Post
you seem to be taking this a bit personally so I'm going to go ahead and drop it, plus I think your arguements have actually helped make my point.
I asked you to drop it many posts ago. (post 72). This isnt subject for debate. Again, I agreed with someone and you didnt like it. Too bad. If an adult asks how much, its alot easier to delve into costs than speaking with a kid that may not have the funds. Thank you for opting to end this foolish banter.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #80
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A couple of our local club racers (same club as Joel Lagace who has posted earlier) have done is start up a summer Nitro racing where everybody has to run a certain spec car which is a cheap RTR Nitro car (HPI RTR Nitro RS4 3 Evo #10001 #10002 #10031 #10032 #10033 #10034).

This has brought in a lot of people who are somewhat interested and gives them a really good idea of how much it costs while keeping the racing reasonable and close.
Now that the Nitro season is almost over, we are seeing a few of the Spec Nitro guys getting interested in the indoor carpet season and these guys coming in knowing that it's not going to be cheap to run but they've been bitten by the racing bug.

This is the website by the way:
http://users.xplornet.com/~jlagace/nitro/
Old 09-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #81
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock'sTC3 View Post
No one is going to walk into the hobby shop having never raced once and spend a grand to get out there and race.
I wouldnt say never. Ive seen it happen a lot.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I wouldnt say never. Ive seen it happen a lot.

So have I. And those are the same dudes that end up crashing because they have gone above and beyond by reading the box (45mph rtr) and an over-zealous worker in the store sold him a bunch of stuff the dude wasnt ready for.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #83
Tech Champion

Sometime that but also some people that recognize if they spend $500 on inferior stuff and then end up upgrading it all they are out the original $500. So they spend a little more to get all the nice stuff. Nothing necessarily wrong with that if they actually stick with the hobby.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #84
Tech Regular

Hey, all.

As allude to earlier, I think it's worth exploring why certain clubs have a long lifespan. It comes down to some of the things Joel said in his first post on this thread. At our local club we have a strong, loyal group of racers who all race in our flagship class - Stock. Sure, we have 19T and Nitro (and we're pushing for a resurrection of Pro10) but the flagship class is the glue from a racing perspective. We buy bulk to keep costs down, we race in a high traffic "Park and Ride" area near a rec centre, cofee shops etc and we regularly have lots of interest and spectators. In my experience what makes our club so tight is that we go out of our way to help eachother and we do our best to socialize. We only race 1/12 stock in the winter and after each race night a good 15-20 of us go out for pizza. We also o big road trips together. 16 of us are travelling a good 6 hours to make it to Kamloops for the Fall Classic. We pit together, chat with the other clubs, joke, laugh and rib each other. Sure there are serious moments, but we deal with it in the moment rather than letting it fester.

Variety of classes has ha a negative impact in the past. Too many options has led to the dilution of core racing classes, so we reverted and we're still going strong. 100+ entries at our main trophy race.

We've also tried to mitigate manufacturing and quality concerns in products by choosing a path and stiking with it. For example, manufacturers who turn platforms every year aren't all that appealing, nor are poor quality, short lifespan battery/motor/equipment sources. So, we think ahead for an entire season, the exe sets the standards and we are all committed to following them whether we agree 100% or not. We try to think in terms of what is good for the club rather than the single racer. This has also culminated in a heat of 8 ladies racing with us last weekend an again through until the end of Sept.

The race diretor also has a big role to play as does the announcer an corner marshalls. Spectators always know what's going on at any moment, and they see the corners really busting to get the cars back on the track. Again, the focus is on what is best for the club.

I wish I could come across the magic formula, but I think the mix of people, attitude, openness, fairness and excitement is what keeps people coming back.

Just my two cents, folks. Please take this in the spirit with which it is intended

Phil
T-Bang Hobbies
Old 09-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #85
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to acyrier
Talking novice/Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The biggest problem I see is that there is no entry level or "hobby" class.
I think we've solved that at our place. I've mentioned this on a couple other threads. MOST of our classes have an "advanced" and "novice" break-down. There are virtually NO difference between the two classes except expierience. When either a racer, or track owner feels like they want to bump up, they just signup for the "advanced" class.

Example
Stock Sedan - Novice
Stock Sedan - Advanced.

I've only had (1) person on these forums say something like "You shouldn't call it "novice" as nobody likes being called Novice". I thought it was a pretty lame comment, but What would a "new person" expect to be called.."slightly less then Pro"? That would be yet antoher case of political correctness gone too far.

This has worked out so well in (2) of our classes, were starting a "novice" 12th scale class. The difference is, the motor. were going to purchase (the track itself) mabauchi 540RS motors (tamiya 540 silver can, sealed endbell) motors for this 12th Stock - Novice. These motors do not have the torque/speed of the stock motors so that should make the cars easier to handle for the less expierenced. A couple of us have even purchased (4) 12th scale cars and assemboled them for "rental" use for people to try for htis novice class. We'll even offer to sell them as an "RTR" if they chose to dive in head 1st. these cars have:
GT7 esc's,
Futaba or Airtronics digital FM radios that have multi-model memory's
(example, futaba 3pdf)
Good 12th scale servo's (range from futaba, airtronics and JR)

We've scoured the internet for good used equipment for these cars so they should last. We've managed to assemble EACH car for less then $200bucks including everything except batteries. All a person would need to get after purchasing one of these, is a charger, and a couple 4-cell packs. Could easily be done for another 100 - 150 new, or 1/2 that if they are able to find some decent used stuff. (which we offer to help find) Seems somebody around the track always has some sort of stuff to sell.

I'm looking forward to seeing this take off (hopefully) this year.
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Promote promote promote is very helpfull. www.rcottawa.com

Our indoor club looses racers in the summer for a variety of reason. including many outdoor racing sereis.

This summer many of my fellow hardcore indoor racers took part in two outdoor sereis. SPEC NITRO and Stock buggy racing. Spec nitro brought out about 6 or 7 brand new racers.(26 drivers ran all summer) We ran a box stock HPI EVO 3 class that no mods could be added to(accept a few cost effective items). For 350$-400$ CND we got guys hooked on racing..... We spent the summer helping these guys drive there cars(not setup, we did not allow any setup,no springs oils,diffs,angles camber nothing) We spec'd a tire and raced driver to driver. Many new guys where amazed that even with equal gear great drivers still drove much faster and even pulled them on the straights. (something thats hard to get accross in touring car when there are 5 dozen different brands and such to deal with)This was key for them to realize as the gear was all the same, we helped them tune there engines so everyone was in the same ballpack of tune... For the summer we kept telling them about indoor racing. That the short nitro season lead into a very long winter of indoor racing that they should check out. Our LHS gave our group a draw prize for the end of the year.. a TC5... guess what? A new guy one the car, and his father bought a used car to join him indoors. From this sereis we have 3 new racers for the winter and possibly 2 others.

SPEC NITRO: http://users.xplornet.com/~jlagace/nitro/

We did a similar thing with our stock buggy sereis where we promoted indoor racing all summer. From there we have 2 new guys coming out..

The 2 outdoor series where always light hearted and meant to just be fun, we always shoot the shit after races and promote fun. Everyone wants to win, but only one guy does at any given race....

To cap off the summer of promotion our indoor club offered up the entire month of september as "FREE TO NON MEMBERS". All the practice and racing they wanted for free all month, September just happens to be the start of our indoor racing season, with 3 sereis starting up at this time....

The free month cost the club nothing as the club is open anyway, and we hope to make long term members out of the new guys in october. With tuning nights all summer long hosted by our older members many of the new guys have been learning the ropes before there first race.

Perhaps at my club since our only source of revenue and survival is to promote the club and encourage growth we all take a hand in helping out. We know that we run a no profit club and the goal is only to keep the doors open not pay a salery. We also know that in our area if we close the doors that likely indoor racing will disapear some time, but the club has been active every single year for the last 20+years under various leadership....
Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #87
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

You and your club need to be commended for making an outstanding effort to keep this great hobby alive. I elect you to be the hobby spokesman thanks for your postive input.
mtx3ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #88
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$

I know here in MN, the nitro off-road scene is huge, and is doing a good job of promoting racing in MN. Then The R/C Barn, and MMR pro trak, are both some high quality indoor on-road for the winter. Everyone does a good job promoting, and helps out the newbies with any stupid questions they have.

I know Andrew Mowery is running some nitro on-road, and electric parking lot races, and every body loves it. It's gotten some new people into the hobby, and there are some cost effective classes there too.

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #89
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro View Post
Well, if someone would just go to the local Hooters resturaunt, and get some nice young ladies to do some track announcing, marshaling, and just make a general apperiance, the boys will show up to race , I wouldnt care what kind of night I had at that point, car could catch on fire, I'd still walk away with a smile. Primitive, but so true!
Hobbipro gets my vote!!