R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The are more RC vehicles out there than ever before. The main issue is that the cost to operate the tracks is more than what potential racers are willing to pay to race on them.

I think the future of RC is going to be small 10-20 member clubs with no overhead or costs AND large well attended and financed tracks with 50+ members with nothing in between.

Theres no way an underfunded medium sized track can survive for very long.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to socalbomber

probably because the same a-holes who put people down here also put people down in real life.a-s-s-h-o-l-e-s!!!!!!!!!!!
socalbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The key is to open strong hobby shops that can run a business properly on there own without a track. A shop that perhaps sells other then RC. A track would be secondary . IF a person goes into opening a hobby shop with a track, their plan has to be that the track will not produce income, the bussiness plan must rely on making a living off of running the hobby shop. ITs foolish to put all your time and investment in 5-10$ per use track. It should be secondary and the track should get run by a club that pays dues and fees to be there, and to the store owner that happens to have a track this would be considered gravy money.

My LHS has alwasy been a business of selling cars,trucks and planes, it has a offroad track that gets used if guys want to organize racing, the parkinglot is open for racing again for racers to run, there is a slot car track in the back where the shop used to run oval racing but it died. The slot car club pays the shop monthly rent to be in the store. ITs 100% run by the slot car members.

My club is 100% owned and operated by volunteer members, we run indoor carpet in a 8000sqft basement... ITs tuff as shit to keep it going.... the landloard cant rent the place so he is very nice to us and we pay bare minimum rent for the place but its tuff with a small club to make ends meet. Especially in the summer months when competing offroad tracks and nitro onroad take racers away for 3-4 months of the summer, rent we have to pay even though few race...

Anyway i just feel a track cannot be open as the main bussiness that happens to sell rc cars. Racers are cheap SOB's dont think cuz everyone runs 500$ touring cars that they wont be shopping online to get there stuff 2$ cheaper and that you wont be flooded by sponsored drivers that get there motors and batteries straight from the builders/matchers. You can't bank on making moneyu off of racers. Selling RTR tmaxxes and ARF planes im afraid pays the bills.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:17 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace View Post
Im just wondering what those dozen hobbies are? And how do they compare in the fun factor to rc racing? Stamp collecting? is that comparable to rc racing?

Some hobbies/sports my non racers friends do:
-hockey start up costs??? more then 600$ + ice time
-Golf, maybe start up under 600$ but green fees and booze cost way more then race fees
-skiing startup over $600+ fees way more then race fees
-computers and games = $600 just for a video card! LOL
-paint ball not sure about start up costs. its probably similar and perhaps on par with rc racing in terms of cost
-go-kart racing big bucks!
-hunting and fishing perhaps most affordable
Yes. To those people who are in those activities and quite frankly there are more of them than there are of us. Let's face it folks, to most people we're a little odd. We will never be mainstream. That may be the reason, R/C appeals to me.
I feel that the main reason hobby shop/tracks are closing is that people will spend $3 in gas to buy items for $1 less rather than buying from the track. This attitude is prevalent where I race. Also online shopping is becoming very popular. Unfortunately, my LHS/track is not overly helpful in ordering stuff not in stock. I've even offered to prepay for the ordered items. Some times people just want to shoot themselves in the foot
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 AM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The biggest problem IMO is that we get a lot of people that see us racing at the track and think "I can drive like that, Ill kick their a$$es". Then they buy the equipment, take it to the track and realize its not as easy as it looked from the sidelines, that it takes years of practice to even chalenge for a win. So they just quit. Where most of us race for the fun of it, I could care less if I never win a race. And as a comunity we have to realize that it will allways be this way, theres nothing we can do. You can advertize all you want.

Then you have the financial issue, lets be honest, racing RC is a luxury. Its something we do with the money that we have left after we paid all the bills (not allways all of them). ANd the majority of people are not willing to spend that kind of money on something that doesnt give them the satisfaction they seek, the race wins.

We have to try to atract begginers all the time, but at the same tim ewe have understand that only a fraction of those will keep coming, thats just the way it is.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:29 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrunchone View Post
The reason for the heavy drop in the percentage of racers attending races is simply a combination of life and economics. You move, buy a real car, need cash to save to get married, vacations, new child on the way.
Totally agree.

Although this will sound funny to some coming from me, there is more to life than R/C racing. I find it incredibly difficult to find time to work on the cars prior to a race day. I am often up until 2-3am working on my nitro cars before I have to get up at 6am to pack up the car and go to the race.

While R/C racing is my number one interest at the moment - and my family understands that, there are times when other priorities take precedence and I just have to pass. Father's day, sick relative, birthday parties, weddings, helping my son with a school project and more! Heck, I had to give up racing this past labor day weekend, cause my wife planned a 3-day weekend with some friends at a beach resort.

There are a lot of fun and interesting things that we can all find to do with our time and money - but for some of us, there just isn't enough time and money to do all of them. At some point, somethings gotta give...
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:12 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Reason for the decline? Too much attention on competition, not enough on having fun. Best example is having to spend over a grand to race touring car stock.
Your own skill and car setup alone can take you a long way, but some time sooner or later if you stick at it long enough it will come to the point where you have to be spending $ on stuff to make the difference between being at your own limit and having fun, or spending more just to get that little bit more from the car and doing much better from it.

Competitive chargers,cells etc etc are usually big bucks for a hobby. If youre young and still at school or college its not going to get any easier when you realise you need better equipment than when you started.

This is where some guys dont bother and quit too, when they realise its a money pit. But a lot still keep at it and just have fun, with the $ they can afford to spend on r/c

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

when newbies ask "how much is it" then i usually say about $1000 to get started and race, they usually walk away real quick
magm20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 AM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbomber View Post
probably because the same a-holes who put people down here also put people down in real life.a-s-s-h-o-l-e-s!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone else see the irony in this post?

You make it seem everyone is putting everyone down. Its really just everyone putting you down but you keep coming back for more.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbomber View Post

socalbomber, please keep it up. I painted myself into a corner and was the rctech "whupping boy". Thanks to your childish rants, I get to bequeath my title. Dude, lay-off with the foolishness if you have nothing positive to say.

To speak on the topic at hand, several factors come into play. This is about the U.S. because I cant speak for Europe and Asia. LHS losing profits to the internet. High costs of property and maintaining a track. Lack of cooperation between clubs and LHS's. In some areas, hobby stores not working together in supporting race functions. LHS finding it hard to stay current with the "flavor of the month". And most importantly, consumer just plain losing interest.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
Dude, lay-off with the foolishness if you have nothing positive to say.
Do you not think that people in forums who bash others (that he rightly said do so at the track too) put people off racing too then?

Ok,not a direct link, but it does need highlighting. I have seen in my own eyes the guys who point and laugh but dont bother to help, who quite frankly.... should know better.

Would you like that kind of person to represent r/c at your local track and see the numbers go down

Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Do you not think that people in forums who bash others (that he rightly said do so at the track too) put people off racing too then?

Ok,not a direct link, but it does need highlighting. I have seen in my own eyes the guys who point and laugh but dont bother to help, who quite frankly.... should know better.

Would you like that kind of person to represent r/c at your local track and see the numbers go down
Thats the thing though. "Internet Tough Guys" are usually not so tough in person. Part of it being that people cant understand "tone" when reading text.

SoCal has tried to call me out and Im the first person introducing myself to new racers at the track and trying to help get them started. This guy is just off his rocker.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #43
Tech Champion

[quote=or8ital;3657804]Thats the thing though. "Internet Tough Guys" are usually not so tough in person. [quote]/

You dont need to be "tough" to point and laugh at the newbies when they crash, you just need to be insensitive and/or unhelpful.

Talking smack is one thing, being unhelpful with answers over a forum could be classed as a different thing, depending on who you are.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #44
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Thats the thing though. "Internet Tough Guys" are usually not so tough in person. Part of it being that people cant understand "tone" when reading text.

SoCal has tried to call me out and Im the first person introducing myself to new racers at the track and trying to help get them started. This guy is just off his rocker.
Though there may be some merit to your comment. I believe we are all mental to some degree.
He strikes me as a type of person trying to fit into a place that his obsession has lead him.
Goof ball or not. Do we really have to have a brilliant post to fit in.?
We are all different. Its understanding why that counts.
I say let him post away. Even if he brings nothing to the table.
He will eventually.
Or not.?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #45
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Goof ball or not. Do we really have to have a brilliant post to fit in.?
I could quote a few funny ones ive seen in my time! But I wont embarass anyone...

We are all capable of saying stupid stuff sometimes and this can make a club a funny place to be part of.... Its better than seeing 10 serious looking guys on the rostrum 24/7.

Think about it...