R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
Tech Initiate

Point well taken. However, I maintain that we need advertising to broaden our customer base. How can we know its "not cool" if the majority of the public doesn't even know it exists? We recently did an RC demonstration at a local summer school at the request of a teacher. The reception was overwhelming, not only from the students, but from the teachers as well. Time will tell if we attracted any new customers, however, we were repeatedly told how surprised they were that "this kind of thing exists".

As far as catering to the demographics. It would be great if we could give our customers everything they desired, unfortunately we have had to be stern with track rules and regulations as of late. Being a profit making business, we were told by the authorities that allowing liquor would bring a hefty fine. We are fortunate to be located in an area of the city that noise is not an issue (industrial zone), but we deal with city rules and regulations daily. Customers need to realize, especially in our case, that if we allow situations that would jeopardize the operations of the track, we are also jeoparidizing CRC Inc., as we are located on the same premesis. Recently we have asked patrons to not bring their pets. A business across the street suffered a hefty lawsuit after a customer was bitten by a dog. I know this made a few people unhappy, but the needs of the many HAVE to outweigh the needs of the few.
Mrs. CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jsl6v8

Well I'm brand new to the RC game, I'm sure some of you have seen my newbie threads asking what would generally be considered a stupid question, I've even had one or two people come up with some really witty and shockingly unhelpful suggestions to fix my problems, and this is probably one of the reasons people don't get into the hobby or go get a car and get frustrated because they can't even get the damn car setup right. I bought my car about 3 weeks ago got a damn good deal on it and I've already pushed over 300 more into parts and tools and I don't even have a setup board. Simply a mixture of cost and Aholes really detract people from the hobby.
When I got my car I had suspected that racing went on but I didn't know where and it took a couple stops at local hobby shops till I found out where some races were, simply posting a poster in local hobby shops would seriously increase knowledge of the sport, afterall if someone is going to get into the hobby they are going to go to the hobby stores, problem with this is most race tracks are owned by hobby stores and no hobby store wants to advertise for other hobby stores and to this I have no solution, except maybe let them setup a booth of some sort during the race in exchange for advertising rights. Also simply having City forums on our rc community here. Yeah I know there are some state groups and jazz like that and you can find the race tracks in the state, but I looked through and couldn't even find the track thats near me, its a huge mess, we need to scale it down to major areas of population that way all the people in a certain city have one place to congregate here online talk to the other people that they see at the track share ideas ect ect.
But even after all that the problem is with people losing intrest because they just aren't doing well, now I expect that whenever I finally manage to get my car up and running, only need bearings and I should be good to go now, that I will place dead freaking last for quite a while and given that there is only 1 race a month near me that I know of, I've asked others in the area and this seems to be the case, that I may even be placing dead last for a whole year if I even manage to finish without breaking some new part on my car. Others don't realize this they figure hey this is the stock class, for beginners, all these other guys are new or relatively new just like me, oh sure I may not do well the first couple times out but I'll eventually be on top, problem is you got guys racing stock that have been at it for 4 years have the best gear and are just killing everyone else at the track, YOU WILL LOSE CUSTOMERS WHEN THIS HAPPENS, I'll be honest with you if I start out and I'm a year in and month in and month out I get my ass handed to me by the same guy, well you could probably find my car on the RC sale forum. The track near me tried to do an expert stock class and a beginner stock class, which if you have enough people is a great idea, otherwise if you want to bring in new people you are going to have to put a cap on them weither they can only be running stock for x ammount of time or if they develop a time penalty based on their experience, and previous performance. Simply people don't mind losing a handful of times, its expected thats how you get better you get beat you try harder, but nobody likes being made a full of week in and week out.
jsl6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Smile

I beleive its simple return on investment.First you spend hrs getting things ready to race.drive an hr.or so to get there setup wait till your heat.turn marshall then get your car put it on the line and hopefully run for 5mn.if you dont break.cycle same again till mains.Where we race 1 qualy then mains.so with one vehicle you get ten minutes of racing.I try leave home by 5:30pm get back home at 11:00pm.Somethings need to make the nonracing part more enjoyable.Its got to become more of a socializing event.Thanks Lance
lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
Money is a small reason. To me, it seems the newer the generation, the greater the need for instant gratification. Once they figure out how much practice and grit it takes to be just mildy competetive, it just doesn't become worth it. It's pretty sad how things are turning out.

Ben

You got it!

Also there is this inherant attitude that because you spend the money that you deserve to win. No one won wins races there first day out or even there first month out. I always tell our new guys who come out racing to enjoy the racing. And dont dwell on results. At the end of the day there is only one winnner. So chances are your going to be in the majority as one the runner ups. I been at this for 20 years, racing competativly for about 15 years.... I have won races but not with any regularity where i became the "FAST GUY TO BEAT" and thats fine, i enjoy the race, spend within in my budget and realize that at the end of the day its my driving skills first and foremost that determine weather or not i did well that day.(within drivers skills i take into account my car tuning abilities... you gotta put in the time to get the car right)

If your gonna race rc cars you gotta do it for the right reasons:
-atmosphere around the track
-thrill of racing
-fun of working you your cars and gear
-the friends
-trying to do as best as you can(winning is the ultimate goal but not the only goal)

This plug and play generation of playstation and xbox users brings on a group of instant gradification and to some extent lazyness. I do repairs for my local hobby shop... 99% of the problems i fix could have been fixed by the owner if they cracked the plastic wrap off of the RTR owners manual... RC racing is no a video game. There is work envolved RTR or kit you need to read the manual and do some work.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance View Post
I beleive its simple return on investment.First you spend hrs getting things ready to race.drive an hr.or so to get there setup wait till your heat.turn marshall then get your car put it on the line and hopefully run for 5mn.if you dont break.cycle same again till mains.Where we race 1 qualy then mains.so with one vehicle you get ten minutes of racing.I try leave home by 5:30pm get back home at 11:00pm.Somethings need to make the nonracing part more enjoyable.Its got to become more of a socializing event.Thanks Lance

At our club its totally a social event. Smack talk, jokes ect ect, helping out the new guys, its night of fun and racing.

We run 3quals and a main and its a fun intence evening of racing. Sure you gotta fix the car if you break but its all in good fun.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl6v8 View Post
But even after all that the problem is with people losing intrest because they just aren't doing well, now I expect that whenever I finally manage to get my car up and running, only need bearings and I should be good to go now, that I will place dead freaking last for quite a while and given that there is only 1 race a month near me that I know of, I've asked others in the area and this seems to be the case, that I may even be placing dead last for a whole year if I even manage to finish without breaking some new part on my car. Others don't realize this they figure hey this is the stock class, for beginners, all these other guys are new or relatively new just like me, oh sure I may not do well the first couple times out but I'll eventually be on top, problem is you got guys racing stock that have been at it for 4 years have the best gear and are just killing everyone else at the track, YOU WILL LOSE CUSTOMERS WHEN THIS HAPPENS, I'll be honest with you if I start out and I'm a year in and month in and month out I get my ass handed to me by the same guy, well you could probably find my car on the RC sale forum. The track near me tried to do an expert stock class and a beginner stock class, which if you have enough people is a great idea, otherwise if you want to bring in new people you are going to have to put a cap on them weither they can only be running stock for x ammount of time or if they develop a time penalty based on their experience, and previous performance. Simply people don't mind losing a handful of times, its expected thats how you get better you get beat you try harder, but nobody likes being made a full of week in and week out.

In my 15 years of racing all i have ever raced is stock.??? Should i be quiting? Locally stock has always been the class that brings in the new racers and keeps the old ones racing, as it is cost effective. We had mod hear and there over the years but it never sticks, 100$ motors and more DNF cars then i care to mention meant only the best of best drivers could run with any enjoyment.
19T was the best thing we had most of the vets and fast guys ran in that class my self included. Stock we left to the new guys but most of us ran it as well because it was a fun class. At this point stock is our only class, so i run in it along with the other 15-20 guys that have been racing 5-15years, our new guys come in and get lots of our help and the heat system ensures they don't have to race against guys much faster then they are. They know that they are not going to win on day one, some guys simple dont have the natural ability to drive well or tune there cars. You could be one of these guys... only time will tell, if your going to put in an honest year of racing and practicing and make your goals about improving on your own last results and not dwell on who has what new gear that you don't have you will probably stick with the hobby, but if your attitude is to point out how many guys run the latest gear that you don't have and then u use that as an excuse as to why your loosing then i doubt you will last 6months racing...

We have guys in there 20s, and guys in there 40s and perhaps 50s. The current fast guy is 25-30years old, he is a natural and has only been at this hobby for 4-5 years, he was a player after about 2 years. But not on day one. One of our fastest drivers at one point was 15-16years old. Running mid range gear on a good quality car, the kid could drive.

I have yet to see a newcomer win races in less then a year.

Set reasonable goals and don't assume one day you will win, race for the pleasure of racing.

A guy that cant drive wont do any better with the a-main winners car... I know this for a fact.

Last edited by Joel Lagace; 09-09-2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The emphasis needs to be placed on keeping the existing racers coming back.
They are the ones bringing friends to get started in the sport, they are the ones that spend the money to keep the doors open.

A lot of them leave fed up with the poor sportsmanship on the track, it seems making a clean pass is a lost art, now it's bash to pass, oops sorry doesn't get your car off the pipe!
It's not the majority, but it only takes one or two to ruin a fun race.

The ROAR onroad nats was an example of smash to pass, both the stock classes had the outcomes changed by bashing.
The Reedy 19t mains were bash to pass.

The sad part is, that not much is done at the local level to discourage this type of racing.
Must be the fear of losing that one customer, but in the end they lose a lot more.
It's up to the owners to bring that one driver in line with the rest of the racers, you know the one that piles up the start, catches up to you and just hammers you to get by, just because he is faster.

I know I'm getting fed up and don't plan on bringing anyone new into the sport, just to damn frustrating to spend all that time to get a decent qual position knowing that I'm going to get taken out by the same one or two guys every race.

Fred
Old 09-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Club racing or parking lot racing has been making a come back here in L.A. since one of the better permanent tracks had to close thier on road track and replaced it with an off road track.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
The emphasis needs to be placed on keeping the existing racers coming back.
They are the ones bringing friends to get started in the sport, they are the ones that spend the money to keep the doors open.

A lot of them leave fed up with the poor sportsmanship on the track, it seems making a clean pass is a lost art, now it's bash to pass, oops sorry doesn't get your car off the pipe!
It's not the majority, but it only takes one or two to ruin a fun race.

The ROAR onroad nats was an example of smash to pass, both the stock classes had the outcomes changed by bashing.
The Reedy 19t mains were bash to pass.

The sad part is, that not much is done at the local level to discourage this type of racing.
Must be the fear of losing that one customer, but in the end they lose a lot more.
It's up to the owners to bring that one driver in line with the rest of the racers, you know the one that piles up the start, catches up to you and just hammers you to get by, just because he is faster.

I know I'm getting fed up and don't plan on bringing anyone new into the sport, just to damn frustrating to spend all that time to get a decent qual position knowing that I'm going to get taken out by the same one or two guys every race.

Fred
I was talking with one of the local regular racers and he expressed similar concerns and frustrations.

I think a lot of tracks need to group people by skill and speed. By this I think a regular Rookie Stock class and a Stock Expert class should be the norm for 27T. I hate the thought of being called a Rookie, but it is the class below normal stock racing, then so it is.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We've seen racing slowly die off here in Florida also. We have some of the best tracks, on road and off road, but lately, they are being closed due to politics, red tape, and bad attitudes, and poor sportsmenship. I race on-road myself, and just switched from Nitro to Electric Mod. PNP Hobbies, and Superior Hobbies have great races. Good staff, great hobby shops, always looking out for everyone. It ususally is the other racers that don't help the new guys.

Both places have novice classes, but I don't see enough new blood. I run the RC department for a new 8,000 sq ft Hobbytown, and we proudly have PNP Hobbies racing flyer at our front door. But they run once a month, and it's never on the same weekend, since he is a racer also, and travels with the State series. Superior is over an hour away, and that turns ppl off. Off Road, that's a joke, over an hour and a half away.

Townships have a hard time understanding that we need a track, and it needs to have good access. And they want way too much money for the property these days.

So if you ever come to FL, look up Superior Hobbies, and or PNP Hobbies for some great on road racing.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

The local club here in Cleveland could stand to be a little more friendlier and welcoming not saying go out of your way . But at least a friendly hello and some sponsored drivers need to understand that they are represenatives of there sponsors .You are a walking advertisement for that company some people by products based on your advice which leads to your sponsors growth of there buisness.I am not speaking for all Sponsored drivers I have had the pleasure of getting help from one based on that experince. I have purchased products from there sponsors. Keeping this hobby growing helps you keep your sponsorships so please do your part when you can.NOT TRYING TO STEP ON ANYONES TOES I WOULD JUST LOVE TO SEE THIS HOBBY GROW
mtx3ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #27
Tech Addict

The reason for the heavy drop in the percentage of racers attending races is simply a combination of life and economics. You move, buy a real car, need cash to save to get married, vacations, new child on the way.

We have all seen this experience and know it all to well. As Jim said the cost of ENTRY level racing is high. We often lose focus on having fun and get rapped into the competitive nature of the beast. But all in all we let GOSSIP and HATE MONGERS take control of groups of individuals. When once we were all groups of friends gathering to race now we are segregated teams with snobby attitudes.

Never forget its not about that it is about having fun and that guy you ran with a few years ago is still your friend just with other things on his agenda. make sure you have fun and the rest I believe will fall into place naturally.

Dont let someone segregate you from your friends, be a true friend and have fun and all else comes after. Friends dont back bite, friends dont back stab, a true friend is there not matter what the dilemma making sure you are running and all's well

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jsl6v8
Talking

It really is just a multitude of things, most people don't know about this sport, some sort of advertising needs to be done if you really want to kick it off, try to get a race setup on the local campus, get a local radio station to come out I don't know I understand these options might be expensive but you can't make money without spending it. Secondly its just really expensive to jump into this hobby and there is no real cost effective starting block, its not like coin collecting or saltwater fish tanks or any other dozens of hobbys, most hobbys don't demand a $600 entry pricetag. And most people aren't willing to put down that kind of money for something that they may or may not like.

As for the people who said that they must cater to the people that are already there and busy themselves keeping them there there I really disagree, you have already invested $1000+, you aren't going anywhere fast, and plus without bringing in new people you aren't going to grow, keeping the old people should be a goal but I wouldn't put it priority numero uno. You somehow have to increase knowledge of the sport, I don't know having a shooting go down on track day, that will get you some news time
jsl6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Im just wondering what those dozen hobbies are? And how do they compare in the fun factor to rc racing? Stamp collecting? is that comparable to rc racing?

Some hobbies/sports my non racers friends do:
-hockey start up costs??? more then 600$ + ice time
-Golf, maybe start up under 600$ but green fees and booze cost way more then race fees
-skiing startup over $600+ fees way more then race fees
-computers and games = $600 just for a video card! LOL
-paint ball not sure about start up costs. its probably similar and perhaps on par with rc racing in terms of cost
-go-kart racing big bucks!
-hunting and fishing perhaps most affordable
Old 09-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace View Post
-hunting and fishing perhaps most affordable
I don't know about that.
g_mabry is offline   Reply With Quote