R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   WARNING! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/180393-warning.html)

rcmark24 09-07-2007 05:49 PM

WARNING!

I've been in the hobby for many years and I had something very scary happen last night. My wife woke me up smelling smoke in the house. After a few minutes of searching I discovered where it was coming from. One of my batteries had vented and caused the original box I keep them in to start to burn! I'm just glad I was home! Needless to say they are now stored in the garage away from anything that might catch on fire. I mean I've always known they could but until it happens to you it really didn't soak in. Careful of where and how your storing your batteries these days!! You might be next!

tc3team 09-07-2007 05:52 PM

I keep all my race cells in a metal box for this very reason. Glad there wasnt a worse ending to your story!

You can never be too careful! :nod:

sportpak 09-07-2007 05:54 PM

That's a real gut-check for all of us. I'm glad everything was ok.

Ben

rcmark24 09-07-2007 06:04 PM

I've seen them do it at the track but never just sitting with nothing hooked up to them. I'm just glad I was home even though I didn't get any sleep after that thinking about it but at least it didn't burn the house down!!

K_Black 09-07-2007 06:13 PM

What kind of batteries were they?

Greg Sharpe 09-07-2007 06:16 PM

WOW, a handful of posts and nobody went "lipo vs nimh" on you. Congrats! :lol:

I had a bunch of old cells and one new cell vent on me this past week (nimh), and it's got me wondering if there's an end to these fragile cells anywhere in the not too distant future. And then there's that lipo waiting to burn my 1/18 into a puddle of molten plastic.....:flaming:

I don't care which chemical stew we as an industry adopt, just as long as they get safer, and not necessarily faster.

socalbomber 09-07-2007 06:16 PM

heh..this is good im not the only one.now be carefull cause the forum w h o r e s will come after you for details and what you did to cause this.glad that the family and house is ok.this happened to me with a lipo batt and i got so much negative reaction from alot of people just because i was trying to tell them to be carefull.:batman:

kuzo 09-07-2007 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe (Post 3651572)

Now look what door you've opened!!!111one!!! :ha:

I'm at the point of thinking about storing my laptop in the garage, I don't trust anything anymore. Everything sucks. Good for you for catching it. :nod:

Marcos.J 09-07-2007 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by kuzo (Post 3651582)
Now look what door you've opened!!!111one!!! :ha:

I'm at the point of thinking about storing my laptop in the garage, I don't trust anything anymore. Everything sucks. Good for you for catching it. :nod:

just dont leave them on your front seat;)

kuzo 09-07-2007 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Marcos.J (Post 3651594)
just dont leave them on your front seat;)

I've taken the next safety step of removing all of my seats just in case. :D

bxpitbull 09-07-2007 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe (Post 3651572)

I had a bunch of old cells and one new cell vent on me this past week (nimh), and it's got me wondering if there's an end to these fragile cells anywhere in the not too distant future. And then there's that lipo waiting to burn my 1/18 into a puddle of molten plastic.....:flaming:

I don't care which chemical stew we as an industry adopt, just as long as they get safer, and not necessarily faster.

Thats because I just got in from work:lol:. Seriously, we know that sub c's vent, so be glad his wife had a keen nose and his property wasnt damaged.

Marcos.J 09-07-2007 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by kuzo (Post 3651604)
I've taken the next safety step of removing all of my seats just in case. :D

:lol:

syndr0me 09-07-2007 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by socalbomber (Post 3651573)
heh..this is good im not the only one.now be carefull cause the forum w h o r e s will come after you for details and what you did to cause this.glad that the family and house is ok.this happened to me with a lipo batt and i got so much negative reaction from alot of people just because i was trying to tell them to be carefull.:batman:

They went after you because you're dumb.

bxpitbull 09-07-2007 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 3651640)

ROTFLMAO-ROTFLMAO-ROTFLMAO-ROTFLMAO

Let me tone it down, I dont want to instigate a riot...but that was funny:lol:

Nova F1 Racer 09-07-2007 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 3651640)

Reply of the month.....:lol::lol::lol::lol: