R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Remember that scene from Ace Ventura pet Detective when Jim Carrey had the talking A-Hole....and the only way he could keep him calm was sitting down.....Excuse me, can I ass-k you a question?thats whats happening here. I am so desperately trying to keep the pitbull chained up and the haters away. Ammo cans, lipo bags..sub c's are making me nervous. These are the same tools that the lipo haters were pushing for...for lipo. Lipo haters, I didnt realize sub c's had gotten so dangerous. This isnt to dis those that push for safety first but to ask those who always chalked it up to operator error....is it the user or the CELLS?

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't have a part # but its the one thats in their flyer right now if you go by the store. Its a blue metal box and has 12 compartments that are 3 inches deep. I'm sure if you called or went by they would know what your talking about. As far as user error I'll agree. I had discharged this older battery and wasn't thinking when I threw it in the trash can. Doesn't matter though where I threw it.....just glad I caught it before it burned the house down!!
rcmark24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #48
Tech Elite

This is scary stuff. So how the heck do you transport packs on a plane? Cells are hard enough to explain, now try to explain what the ammo box is about! What do you guys do that go to the big races? Do you buy your cells there than leave them behind after the race? Just curious as I'm thinking of going to Cleveland and now its got me thinking.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:40 AM   #49
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
This is scary stuff. So how the heck do you transport packs on a plane? Cells are hard enough to explain, now try to explain what the ammo box is about! What do you guys do that go to the big races? Do you buy your cells there than leave them behind after the race? Just curious as I'm thinking of going to Cleveland and now its got me thinking.
UPS the cells to your hotel room ahead of time. Pack them super safe and send them via ground.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 AM   #50
Tech Master

[IMG]mvc-042s.jpg[/IMG] Here is a picture of the box I bought. Works fine!

Last edited by rcmark24; 08-31-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #51
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmark24 View Post
[IMG]mvc-042s.jpg[/IMG] Here is a picture of the box I bought. Works fine!
Do you have something to hold the batteries in place so they don't "bounce" around?
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #52
Tech Master

I will. Probably foam. But I haven't gotten that far yet. I know Walmart carries it. Or I'll keep them in their original boxes like I use to.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Why not just a dedicated real battery case? Foam is already there and slotted for your packs and they don't move around.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
Why not just a dedicated real battery case? Foam is already there and slotted for your packs and they don't move around.
theres a dude that claims that his cell exploded in the bed of his truck in one of those dedicated cases. Sounds fishy, but he had pics.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #55
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TurboT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
Remember that scene from Ace Ventura pet Detective when Jim Carrey had the talking A-Hole....and the only way he could keep him calm was sitting down.....Excuse me, can I ass-k you a question?thats whats happening here. I am so desperately trying to keep the pitbull chained up and the haters away. Ammo cans, lipo bags..sub c's are making me nervous. These are the same tools that the lipo haters were pushing for...for lipo. Lipo haters, I didnt realize sub c's had gotten so dangerous. This isnt to dis those that push for safety first but to ask those who always chalked it up to operator error....is it the user or the CELLS?

I totally hear what you're saying. Unfortunately, it's the cells, not so much the users. The new breed of cells has been shown to be very delicate. They're supposed to be safe to charge at 6amps and .05 delta peak per cell but they do tend to heat up.

I haven't heard of anyone in my local club have a pack explode on them, but I have packs that have a cell that will vent all the time. The venting in itself isn't dangerous, it's more the excessive heat that will cause the shrink wrap to split and then the real fun begins when the cells touch eachother naked! Lol, the fireworks begin!
TurboT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #56
Tech Master

Turbo T, I raised this very point a few weeks ago (somewhat abrasively 'cause thats how I roll)..seriously, when I stated what you said, that could it be the cells in more instances than the users, man, the haters came out as if Towerhobbies was selling T2 007's-buy one get one. And all I did was suggest, trust me, not a road I look to travel again.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
theres a dude that claims that his cell exploded in the bed of his truck in one of those dedicated cases. Sounds fishy, but he had pics.
Was it a plastic case or one of the metal Corally type cases? I use plastic cases that store 8 packs and about 3/4" of foam between each pack, so no touching going on at all.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #58
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
Was it a plastic case or one of the metal Corally type cases? I use plastic cases that store 8 packs and about 3/4" of foam between each pack, so no touching going on at all.
From the look of it, it looked like the metal outside with the foam interior to seperate the packs. The thick foam with the bumps in it.