R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This is great. I would love to say something, its just inching to get out...but I know Josh will slime in here and say something to get me bent out of shape

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:25 AM   #32
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to wikedgmc

Does not matter what kind of batteries you use they are dangerous, I just experienced my first pack explosion last night at the track, a sponsored pro driver was charging his cells and than all of the sudden BOOM! He was chargin a little high 7 amps, but still he has done that for longer than I have known him and this is the first time I have seen it happen.

Ammo boxes are perfect for storing your batteries, you can get them at a surplus store or you can get them from ebay. I do not worry about that kinda stuff at night anymore, I mean if I can keep my ammo in it why cant I keep my batteries in one as well (not together of course )

I bought mine for 8.00 locally and ordered more on line for 6.50 each shipped, cant beat that. I also have 5 lipo sacs as well, cant be to careful.
wikedgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikedgmc View Post
Does not matter what kind of batteries you use they are dangerous, I just experienced my first pack explosion last night at the track, a sponsored pro driver was charging his cells and than all of the sudden BOOM! He was chargin a little high 7 amps, but still he has done that for longer than I have known him and this is the first time I have seen it happen.

You've got to admit, there are more sub c horror stories surfacing lately. Lipos are supposed to be ultra volatile, but......let me stop before Josh H or that dude with the "Lord of the rings minion" in his avatar get at me for being a hater aka a realist. Just glad no one gets hurt regardless the type of cells.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:01 AM   #34
Tech Adept

I think those folks that come on here defending NiMH cells against Lipos that should take notices that any battery has got the potential of been dangerous.
No matter what technology used there will always be differant quality between manufacturers some more unstable than others.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:48 AM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
I think those folks that come on here defending NiMH cells against Lipos that should take notices that any battery has got the potential of been dangerous.
No matter what technology used there will always be differant quality between manufacturers some more unstable than others.
Well put.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I found a great metal box with plastic lined trays at Fastenal. Only $18 Holds 12 batteries.
rcmark24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You guys are right, they are stuffin' all they can get in the sub-c's and I've seen way more of them pop than I have lipo. My buddy chris threw away a box of junk and had a couple of old packs in box on his carport and they got against something else and caught the box on fire. I had a IB 4200 vent and start smokin 20 min after it was charged, just sittin there in the car! Jimmy had a ep pack pop while charging and put dents in his discharger. It sounded like a m80 went off.
myspace.com/ballisticwhiplash01
COOPER MOTORSPORTS
HD-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #38
Tech Regular

i had a 6 cell pack of 4200's melt down. they didn't blow. I accidently pushed a metal tweezer against the positive and negative bars on the 4 center cells. the bars got red hot melted off the battery and burnt cell wrap and positive poles also burnt a hole through my doubled up pit table towl. Lucky for me they didn't blow.

There is a lot of energy packed into those cells. I will be paying more attention to charging and storage of these little bombs.

wn
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Something else that should warrant attention is proper disposal of these packs. They contain materials that are harmful to the environment. They should be brought to someone that will spend the time to recycle the materials in them. I know that it's pretty hard to find places to do this, however it still should still be done.

What I have been doing with the cells that have outlived their usefulness:

1. completely discharge each cell till they are completely discharged
2. remove all wire and battery bars from each cell
3. if the packs are glued together (I don't glue them), break the cells into individual units
4. find your local Staples, and there should be a tube for old phones, pda's and other electronic devices to recycle, and dump the dead cells into it. If you go and can't find that tube, ask the person at the service desk where it is, because you have some batteries to recycle. I wouldn't give them any more information than that, someone that don't know may object (wrongly).

I figure that if they are going to offer that service, might as well use it... even if it's not a cell phone.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #40
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

you can take all nimh packs that are old and out lived to Home Depot or Lowes or any hardware store. They have old rechargable battery recycle boxes there.
I would put a little electrical tape on each cell and then let them handle it from there...Alot easier to take off a little electrical tape than to crack one of those cordless drill batteries apart...
Just what I did...I am mostly lipo now...

But I usally give the packs that aren't the greatest anymore (not race worthy anymore) to kids at the LHS shop that bash or race, they can not afford super nice cells so when you give them a nice pack that is just a practice pack to you anyhow, they get excited and stay in the hobby.
Just remind them to recycle also.

Now that it was brought up. The lipo sack is perfect for NiMh or Lipo...
It can take a cell venting or a lipo fire.
For the cost, your safe and I feel ok to go run my qualifier and know that even if the pack blows at least the whole table of pit stuff won't be scrabled eggs when I get back.....LOL.

-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xsxracing

xsxracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #42
Tech Addict

Lightbulb

A guy at the track had a pack start to fizz this last weekend, he quickly disconnected it from the charger and tried to pick it up and throw it into the corner when bam it blew up in his hand (he was fine ) a couple of blobs of fizzing goo flew onto the pit across from him landing on the batts that were charging there and they started to sizzle and smoke and were quickly disconnected. The internal guts of the battery were found later about 30 feet away on the other side of a chain link fence... pretty crazy chain of potentially devistating events. The cause we figured was the charger... he had a pulsar (2?) with the cutoff at 5/mv... he lowered it to 2/mv and charged another pack for the next heat just fine.

Alot of battery failures are caused by the user, not the battery. Too aggressive charge rates, shorting on tool, or too high of a peak voltage. I've never had a battery vent or explode and I hope I never do
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #43
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Perhaps this would be a good time to plug a sponsor as well... Thunder R/C matches some great packs, I've never had trouble dumping in mod and my stock packs flat out rip. Great guy, great company and great quality When you start with great power the rest gets that much easier

http://www.thunderrc.com/eshop/
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Well while we're plugging...this metal box I got from Fastenal works great! It'll hold at least 12 packs and you could actually double stack them if you can keep them from touching each other. Its made by Durham Mfg. Easy to take with you since it has a handle but I'll probably just keep it for storage right now. And I thought it was a steal at $18. Well worth more if it keeps you from burning your house down!
rcmark24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

rcmark24 do you have a part number or a pic of the box you got from Fastenal?
SRBMOJO is offline   Reply With Quote