Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery packs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Battery packs

Sup guys, new to the forums and new to RCs + touring. My god-brother gave me one of his rcs and im looking to buy new batteries for it. something with about 2400mAh (6 cell+) or more that average to good quality. im using a duratrax sprint speed controller and hellfire stock motor(runs around 30mph) if that helps. Im looking to have about 15-20 minutes playtime.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if i may ask why are you looking for such a low mah battery? and the only way your going to get 20 min of run time is with a lot higher than 2400mah pack or a lipo
Old 09-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Tech Rookie

well im not sure which one to get, i was getting good playtime with my god bros power max 2400, if u could suggest good packs for about 25-35 dollars then go for it

edit: the chassis and everything the whole setup im running now is good, but i want to make my own etc. what would u guys recommend for a beginner+ 4wd car
Old 09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Rookie

well i was looking on tower hobbies and found some duratraxx

would anyone mind point out if any of these are good or not

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKHJ8&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLVG2&P=7
Old 09-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For the same money you're better off with these:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXJZD1&P=

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXKJZ3&P=

They are probably the same batteries inside but from what I've heard, customer support for SMC is very good. No idea how good duratrax support is.

Of course, no racer here would use those batteries. They are simply for bashing around which is what it sounds like you want to do.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Rookie

the ones u posted for bashing around? well i plan on not "bashing around my car" since it is pretty nice carbon fiber and all

and i learned that my charger can only charge nicd so ill need help on finding good nicd
Old 09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What charger do you have?
When someone says basher, they don't necessarily mean that you'll be bashing it around. It just means that you'll probably run it up and down the street or run it around your backyard and mostl likely will not be racing it in any sort of organized race.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Rookie

i have a vision peak
Old 09-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

If you can only charge Nicads then you're pretty much stuck with 2400s. The only ones I know of that are still around are the Peak racing ones Part number is:PEK4110. (just do a google search for that number) These batteries ared used in a particular racing series so they should be reasonably easy to find cheaply.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

He could probably safely charge GP3300s with a nicad charger. I know many of us did back in the day. The GP(Gold peak) used the same delta peak settings we used to use on 2400s... To be safe stick with the 2400s.

If you stick with the hobby grab a nihm or nihm/lipo charger these will give u access to batteries in the 4000-5000+mah range, more power more run time.

PS: On the basher comments, no one means disrespect when we use that term to describe what you will be doing with that car, you mentioned it was FWD in another thread so i can only assume its a tamiya maybe a FF02, many carbon parts where made for these cars back in the day. Anyway the fact that its FWD is a good indication is wont see any serious track time they simply don't keep up with 4wd cars of today. Again no dis, just an observation. OR maybe an assumption we should not make?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
He could probably safely charge GP3300s with a nicad charger. I know many of us did back in the day. The GP(Gold peak) used the same delta peak settings we used to use on 2400s... To be safe stick with the 2400s.

If you stick with the hobby grab a nihm or nihm/lipo charger these will give u access to batteries in the 4000-5000+mah range, more power more run time.

PS: On the basher comments, no one means disrespect when we use that term to describe what you will be doing with that car, you mentioned it was FWD in another thread so i can only assume its a tamiya maybe a FF02, many carbon parts where made for these cars back in the day. Anyway the fact that its FWD is a good indication is wont see any serious track time they simply don't keep up with 4wd cars of today. Again no dis, just an observation. OR maybe an assumption we should not make?
To add to that, you can safely charge 3300's with a nicad charger...it just takes a lot longer. Think old school wall chargers, the ones where you flipped a switch from nicad to nimh. I used to forget to hit the switch back in the day and the packs charged just fine....took a lot longer though. Think today, my MRC977. It can be told the pack is lipo, but doesnt differentiate when charging sub's...key thing is the input threshold and amperage. Nicads, safe amp charge is 4 amps and under, nimh, safe amp charge 5-8 amps. some dudes on here go ape at 10amps, but thats a different enchilada.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Rookie

well im planning on getting a 4wd later on in my life and do some track time,

im gonna buy a nimh charger, so what would u guys suggest me buying then?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Budget minded, MRC 977. Detailed and a few pennies more, Triton, Duratrax ICE or PitbullX3.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Budget minded, MRC 977. Detailed and a few pennies more, Triton, Duratrax ICE or PitbullX3.
And be sure to put the long lockout at 4200 mAh. It makes for explosive battery performance.

I keed, I keed.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ass Toot
And be sure to put the long lockout at 4200 mAh. It makes for explosive battery performance.

I keed, I keed.
lol dunce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.