R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #91
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

Any of you experienced racers with the 10.5 and 13.5 on carpet.. I need starting metric rollouts for sedan and 12th scale in each. I need to buy pinions, and dont want to buy more then i have to!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

What kind of FDR should I start with on a 13.5 for rubber/carpet? Track is 85x42.
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #93
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLove View Post
What kind of FDR should I start with on a 13.5 for rubber/carpet? Track is 85x42.
Thats about the same size track we run on. If you are asking about gearing for an oval, I have no idea. We run a fairly technical road course.

Gearing with sintered rotor 5.2 to 5.1 final drive
The motor comes off the track at about 130 to 140 degrees

Gearing with bonded rotor 5.7 to 5.5 final drive
The motor comes off the track very close to thermal (170 to 180 dgrees)
qwkpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #94
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLove View Post
Which motor & rotor?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #95
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I slipped the magnet on the shaft of my second LRP sintered rotor in the first run tonight. I don't believe I'm doing anything wrong, as both the Novak and Orion had no problems. The lack of availability of these rotors leaves me wondering if they're doing something different with them? I'm afraid I can't recommend the LRP 13.5 at this point. I'm not sure if I'll buy another rotor, or just sell the motor and move on. It's really too bad, I love the way it looks and feels.

I ran the Orion several more times, and I've come to the conclusion that it's indeed flat compared to the others with their fat rotors. The drag brake isn't there, it can't touch their torque, and it feels far less linear in its power delivery. I'm also suspicious it might be less efficient than the others, using about 300mAh more in a 5 minute run.

So, I ended up back with my trusty Novak with the fat 13mm rotor. It gave the motor the same sort of feel as the LRP, which is what I expected. It also felt like the fastest of the bunch. I don't love the aesthetics of the motor (ugly purple, unruly ugly fixed sensor wire) but it's hard to argue with consistency and performance. At this time, I'd have to suggest the Novak 13.5 to people over the others based on my experience.

I'm sad other people haven't chimed in, I thought for sure others would be interested in trying the 13.5's. I get the impression most people using 13.5's are in some kind of spec racing with Novak as the standard, which isn't so bad. I really do hope other people try to make honest comparisons and share their results, because one person's opinion isn't enough to really get a feel for things.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:50 PM   #96
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

How can you tell the rotor is slipping?
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:58 PM   #97
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittjv View Post
How can you tell the rotor is slipping?
It sounds like a slipping belt, and the car will lag. If you pull the rotor out, and hold the shaft with pliers, you can turn the magnet independently of the shaft, thus the "slipping." This used to happen a lot with Novak's old bonded rotors, which is how I knew to even check for it in the first place.

I'm curious if anybody else has experienced this trouble? I suppose there could be some other factor at work, but the LRP seems to be the only motor affected. I've run both the Novak and Orion 13.5's extensively without trouble. Plus, the LRP worked great for a few weeks before the first rotor failed.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 AM   #98
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's a good 13.5SS question. What rollout ranges work for carpet-foam, small or large track? I've seen lots of FDR advice for the rubber boys, but indoor season starts this weekend and I'm back in rollout mode.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:11 AM   #99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For future reference (myself and others), I ended up geared:

Novak 13.5SS
Mamba Max (ESC)
6cell
rubber tires, asphalt track 50x100
4.72 FDR seemed to be a good FDR. Lower might have been faster yet, but this was fast enough for the competition.
In 65degF ambient, I was seeing temps around 130degF after a five minute race. I actually ran back-to-back once, and temp was still only like 140.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 AM   #100
Tech Apprentice

Which rotor? The Novak 13.5 with the sintered rotor seemed happy around 41MM. I'd start around there, and go up and down a bit to see what suits you the best. I'm not sure with the fat rotor, but likely a good bit higher.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #101
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I really do hope other people try to make honest comparisons and share their results, because one person's opinion isn't enough to really get a feel for things.
syndrome, but you're doing such a good job at comparing them!

next race day, i'll bring out the LRP (sintered) and compare it along side the Novak (sintered) and we'll see which 13.5 "feels" better.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #102
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
syndrome, but you're doing such a good job at comparing them!
Hah... I can't tell anymore on here if people are being sarcastic or not. :-D Anyway, please do share your findings. I think you'll find it needs more gear to be at its best than the Novak, unless you're using the 13mm rotor.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #103
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
...So, I ended up back with my trusty Novak with the fat 13mm rotor. It gave the motor the same sort of feel as the LRP, which is what I expected. It also felt like the fastest of the bunch. I don't love the aesthetics of the motor (ugly purple, unruly ugly fixed sensor wire) but it's hard to argue with consistency and performance. At this time, I'd have to suggest the Novak 13.5 to people over the others based on my experience.....
Welcome Home, SyndrOme!
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #104
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Welcome Home, SyndrOme!
Haha, thanks! No one can love me the way you do. :-)
Old 09-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #105
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Hah... I can't tell anymore on here if people are being sarcastic or not. :-D Anyway, please do share your findings. I think you'll find it needs more gear to be at its best than the Novak, unless you're using the 13mm rotor.
for me, a means thank you... a means sarcasm.

it'll be awhile though until i get back to the track. probably 2 weeks.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote