R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #661
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
That sounds like a good idea for a spec class like "stock" or 19T. My gripe is that Novak came out a few days before the Novak race and said "oh yea 13mm rotor max." That number has the convenience of being the largest rotor they happen to offer, and much smaller than the only sintered rotor available for LRP's motor. Until someone from Novak explains otherwise, I can't help but feel like they bent the rules in their favor. I get that it's their race and their rules, but we've heard from Charlie from the beginning that they welcome competition, and this doesn't seem like much of a welcome. You already have to use their motor in rubber, and now they've eliminated the 1/3 (LRP) of the competition in 13.5, and limited the options for the other 1/3 (Feigao) which has, I believe, a 13.5mm rotor available. So, to me, Novak's open arms for competition is a farce. If they have a reasonable explanation, I'd love to hear it.

I talked to Bob and Charlie to clarify the rotor rule for the 13.5 Foam Spec class at the race. Charlie will be posting a more detailed explanation in the Race thread later when they arrive at the hotel---they are still driving--in the snow.

Charlie explained that there are several criteria for accepting 13.5T motors for the Foam spec event. One is the 13mm rotor rule so that there would be more of a level playing field, so that all racers, both customers and factory drivers would have a chance in this spec event.

The LRP 14mm rotors have not been in good supply, so those who have them might have an advantage over other drivers. And, LRP doesn't sell a 13.5T motor with a sintered rotor as standard. I'm not sure what rotors are available for the Feigao motors, but if 13mm motors (or rotors) are readily available, there should be no problem.

Secondly, motors and spare parts allowed in the foam spec classes must be available for purchase---at Scotty's store---by any racer who wants to use the item to compete. Apparently, some items have not been readily available to stock the store.

The rotor restriction does not apply for the Modified Foam event, so anything goes. As I pointed out above, the overriding rule for the foam spec classes is to level the playing field as much as possible, so the non-sponsored guys have a chance----these are not "anything goes" events.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #662
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Shouldn't it now be 'The True 17.5 Thread?'
Old 01-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #663
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
The rotor restriction does not apply for the Modified Foam event, so anything goes. As I pointed out above, the overriding rule for the foam spec classes is to level the playing field as much as possible, so the non-sponsored guys have a chance----these are not "anything goes" events.
Thank you for clearing that up. It seems like you guys have your hearts in the right place.

Not that it matters, but I bought my LRP 13.5 and sintered rotor from an online hobby shop (in August) well before the Orion 13.5 was available, which was the first Feigao 13.5 to hit the states. I was also able to buy two more sintered rotors at different times when I thought they were faulty (it turned out to be a bad sensor in the motor) without any issues with stock. I'm not sponsored or in any way privileged. I haven't done any studies on the availability of these motors, but it certainly didn't seem unobtainable in my experience.

Anyway, good luck to everybody at the race. Hopefully it's a great time for all those in attendance. It's great that we're finally having a proper brushless race, and it's good to see Novak lead the way.

Last edited by syndr0me; 01-01-2008 at 03:38 PM.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #664
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
The LRP 14mm rotors have not been in good supply, so those who have them might have an advantage over other drivers. And, LRP doesn't sell a 13.5T motor with a sintered rotor as standard. I'm not sure what rotors are available for the Feigao motors, but if 13mm motors (or rotors) are readily available, there should be no problem.
Really? I have 2 sintered rotors for my LRP and had little issue finding them. Here is a link that shows they are available.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGE8&P=7

As far as your "stock issue". The Novak doesn't come stock with a 13mm rotor either, it's the "optional rotor" and you allow that. That convienient little choice just elimiated your closest competition IMO, Novak can run their optional rotor and LRP cannot run their optional rotor....ya that sounds real fair. Boo to Novak.

I stand by my opinion Novak fears the competition.

Last edited by Verndog; 01-01-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #665
Tech Lord

So, anything interesting happen at the club race? How are the Feigao motors doing? I read somewhere that people are finding them to be soft compared to the Novak? Anybody run an LRP motor?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #666
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hey Syn-
Have you gotten any of the Speed Passion motors yet? 10.5 in particular? I'd be interested in your feedback. Or are you guys mostly running 13.5 in your area?

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #667
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Got my LRP and 13.5 novak today and took my car apart to put a Robinson Racing 93t spur gear in and then realized that they only have 2 mounting holes.I guess i have to use Kimbrough gears right ?.What spur gears do fit besides kimbrough.I want an assortment like 88t,93t,96t,100 so i have some gearing options.

Last edited by gurumods; 01-02-2008 at 02:49 PM.
gurumods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #668
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Hey Syn-
Have you gotten any of the Speed Passion motors yet? 10.5 in particular? I'd be interested in your feedback. Or are you guys mostly running 13.5 in your area?
It's all 13.5 (and 17.5, eek) around here at the moment. I'm moving to Denver in a month, and they do 10.5 outdoors from what I understand, so I may experiment with it more. At this point, I'll probably just buy the LRP 10.5 and stick with it. I wouldn't mind trying the others, but it bums me out to spend a bunch of money on a motor and then have it not be able to hang with the other contenders.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 AM   #669
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It's all 13.5 (and 17.5, eek) around here at the moment. I'm moving to Denver in a month, and they do 10.5 outdoors from what I understand, so I may experiment with it more. At this point, I'll probably just buy the LRP 10.5 and stick with it. I wouldn't mind trying the others, but it bums me out to spend a bunch of money on a motor and then have it not be able to hang with the other contenders.
Tru' dat...good luck with the move

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #670
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default LRP TC settings

Hey guys,

Just a quick question, whilst fiddling with my car last night, I was wondernig about what profile settings to have on my LRP TC spec.

Currently I think I have it on profile 6 (i think thats linear 5x), with no initial brake, and 4 on the drag brake. Is that a good way to go with a Orion 10.5?
I'm a little confused over what settings to use, as the instructions aren't particularly clear, as I'm guessing they are mainly talking about mod motors, rather than spec.

Anyone got any advice?

thanks in advance
Ed
Old 01-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #671
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Hey guys,

Just a quick question, whilst fiddling with my car last night, I was wondernig about what profile settings to have on my LRP TC spec.

Currently I think I have it on profile 6 (i think thats linear 5x), with no initial brake, and 4 on the drag brake. Is that a good way to go with a Orion 10.5?
I'm a little confused over what settings to use, as the instructions aren't particularly clear, as I'm guessing they are mainly talking about mod motors, rather than spec.

Anyone got any advice?

thanks in advance
Ed
It's been my experience that the brake settings are mainly for how you want the car to feel. If the brakes feel fine for you then you have the correct settings.

The punch settings are a little different. My guess is that the punch settings are mainly changing timing on the LRP so you may have to change the gearing when you change profiles.

From what I've seen on the track, the punch settings really don't change how much power you get from a spec motor but they do change the gearing and how efficient the motor runs.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #672
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default question

i have a 13.5 ss and i wanted to know how to adjust the timing of the motor . if anyone can help me with that that would be great.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #673
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Racing Touring Cars on tarmac rubber tyres.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the

1. Novak bonded rotor 13.5 (EX)
2. The sintered rotor 13.5 (SS)
3. The LRP X11 13.5.

I have a fair idea what the answer is but just want to get some other opinions. Also which of these is faster than a very good brushed stock motor.
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, SVR,Schumacher Storm BigWig
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #674
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy View Post

3. The LRP X11 13.5.

I have a fair idea what the answer is but just want to get some other opinions. Also which of these is faster than a very good brushed stock motor.
I cant 100% answer your 1st question..

But any BL motor will have more power then a brushed stock, especially by not having fade after you run for a few mins......
Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #675
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy View Post

3. The LRP X11 13.5.

The Novak SS13.5 Pro is really the only choice (of the 3) for racing. It comes with a sintered rotor. Novak does not recommend bonded rotors for racing applications. The LRP 13.5 has a bonded rotor. The Novak EX 13.5 Sport motor was not designed, or promoted, for racing
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote