R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #301
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I rotate between them all and I can't beat the Novak yet.
Iím finding similar results to yours. Using a GTB ESC in a Losi XXXcr Buggy my Orion 13.5 does not match the speed of my Novak 13.5SS. It is really noticeable when trying to clear one of the longer jumps at my local track. My Novak 13.5 clears a particular triple jump easily while my Orion 13.5 struggles to clear the same jump. No matter how I gear it the results are the same. The Orion powerband is smooth but in my case it appears the Orion just doesnít have the gusto that the Novak has.
Squating Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #302
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been told by several sources that the LRP TC used with Novak's ss is the best combination. Even outperforming Novaks GTB combo. I dont know what the TC speedo does that is special though.

Hey Steve is there a such thing as a Cobalt Rotor? Or would that material shatter at 50000 RPM?
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 PM   #303
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I would say keep in mind. Some people use Lipo and some use Sub-c. This could make difference in performance.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #304
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I have been told by several sources that the LRP TC used with Novak's ss is the best combination. Even outperforming Novaks GTB combo. I dont know what the TC speedo does that is special though.

Hey Steve is there a such thing as a Cobalt Rotor? Or would that material shatter at 50000 RPM?
the LRP esc has more timing than the gtb
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #305
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking LIPO VS NIMH / BRUSHLESS 13.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
I would say keep in mind. Some people use Lipo and some use Sub-c. This could make difference in performance.
Your exactly correct. When using the ORION LIPO 3200 with the 13.5 Novak.The BL wasn't as fast as a NIMH 4200. But when using the ORION 4800 LIPO torque and speed were about the same with the 4200's. I thought voltage and amperage where the same with the LIPO 3200 but there appears to be a difference. No other changes were made. Correct me if I'm wrong!
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #306
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I decided to grab another rotor for my LRP 13.5 hoping if there was a problem, it would be addressed in this new batch. They were out of stock everywhere for a while. so I figured maybe they were doing something.

Visually, the rotor looks better. Whatever they coat the magnet with is now on very evenly, where the last two it was blotchy and sloppy looking. I don't know if this will translate to a rotor that doesn't spin itself off the shaft like the last two, but we'll see. I really liked the LRP and thought it had the best feel overall, though the Novak with the 13mm rotor is close. I hope the shaft material is stronger now, the last two got mangled by the pinion screw.

I had forgotten how nice the build quality of the LRP motors is. Everything about them is nice, from the way the rotor easily slides in to how the endbell cap fits on, to the fact the can is a solid piece. The visual touches are nice too, with its black and silver finish, and beveled edges. I'm no electronic engineer, but it sure seems like the LRP motor has a higher quality assembly overall.

As for the Orion, I think I'm done with that monstrosity. You guys can chatter all day about how much faster they are, but I just don't see it. To me, they're noisy, gutless and cheaply built. But hey, they're light! The Orion 13.5 seems a lot more like a brushless stock motor than the Novak or LRP, so maybe it'll find a home in places where people resist mixing 13.5 and stock. Anyway, just my humble opinion, but I've been all over with that motor's gearing and timing, and just can't get it to perform like the others. And the sound it makes is very ugly, maybe because of lower RPM? I can't live with my car sounding like a dying animal on the track. I've heard the faster motors and they sound better at least. Maybe I'll try their 10.5 down the road.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #307
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
Your exactly correct. When using the ORION LIPO 3200 with the 13.5 Novak.The BL wasn't as fast as a NIMH 4200. But when using the ORION 4800 LIPO torque and speed were about the same with the 4200's. I thought voltage and amperage where the same with the LIPO 3200 but there appears to be a difference. No other changes were made. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Your findings are YOUR findings; no one can correct that

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #308
Tech Adept

My T4 has more snap with the 3200 at 20c then the 4800 at 15c. none of our nimh race packs can compare so they sit gathering dust.LOL Thats our findings.
danimal1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #309
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AChupp2

PM sent to Steve Weiss
AChupp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #310
Tech Regular

Does anyone have any experiences with Novak's "XBR Sport/EX 13.5 Brushless System"? There is a huge price difference between this and the ss13.5 pro stock. Will it be competitive racing stock sedan or do I need to spend the extra money?

Thanks
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #311
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

My Orion 13.5 is very quiet on the track. Only thing I hear from my car is the belts and my spur gear mesh on the pinion.

We have guys running Novak 13.5, Orion 13.5 and LRP 13.5 so far. My Orion is pretty quick but a fww guys can rip me a little in the long straight. Now I'm new to brushless motors and only have 2 weeks on mine. I have a final drive a 4.99 and only thing I tried is approx 1mm timing advance. Now I run the Mamba Max and have it set a low start and normal for the timing so I will be messing with that other stuff to find out what it does and if it goes faster if I make changes in the speedo settings.

I know right now I can run the same laptimes from start to finish with no drop off so I guess that means I can gear up more til they start falling off at the end. I see this seems to be what alot of guys are doing. My temp is only 125degrees so that is a non factor.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #312
Tech Fanatic

i use the GTB/13.5 SS PRO and its amazing , im sure the ex series is good , but , it is a SPORT model , 60 or 70 bucks and you get the best , ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #313
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
My Orion 13.5 is very quiet on the track. Only thing I hear from my car is the belts and my spur gear mesh on the pinion.

We have guys running Novak 13.5, Orion 13.5 and LRP 13.5 so far. My Orion is pretty quick but a fww guys can rip me a little in the long straight. Now I'm new to brushless motors and only have 2 weeks on mine. I have a final drive a 4.99 and only thing I tried is approx 1mm timing advance. Now I run the Mamba Max and have it set a low start and normal for the timing so I will be messing with that other stuff to find out what it does and if it goes faster if I make changes in the speedo settings.

I know right now I can run the same laptimes from start to finish with no drop off so I guess that means I can gear up more til they start falling off at the end. I see this seems to be what alot of guys are doing. My temp is only 125degrees so that is a non factor.
thats awesome!! i think the Orion motors perform great with 1mm advanced timing!! try going up a tooth or two on the pinion
Old 11-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #314
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
thats awesome!! i think the Orion motors perform great with 1mm advanced timing!! try going up a tooth or two on the pinion
Cool. Thanks I will try that this weekend.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #315
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Cool. Thanks I will try that this weekend.
some of the guys were in the very low 4's and the motors were coming off the track around 135 degrees