R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #286
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1

Just wanted to post up another LRP nightmare..
brand new TC spec speedo...down after two battery packs..
as advised on here....checked everything with another 13.5 motor (spent more money)...and sure enough ...the speedo is the problem..
this is third LRP brushless speedo that has gone down...
LRP is just straight [email protected]#@#$#g junk...
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #287
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation "Up in smoke!" Not the movie!!!!

There was a time when Novak's GT-7's were going up in smoke with low turn motors, thanks to the good customer service the warranty took care of everything. Eventually they fixed the problem and the rest is history.
I've been happy with Novak for years and will continue to be one. My suggestion would be to have it fixed and switch to Novak, you wont' be disappointed.
You can only hope that LRP will do the same. If they want to keep their customers happy, they better!
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #288
Tech Master

maAAAnnn I love my TC Spec. Driving mod incorrectly, 5cell 4200, dumping in 4.5 minutes, batteries 140degF, motor 155degF, and ESC? 110degF!! The thing is just a monster. The feel is always perfect, and it has a nice switch. Now if only the price was $40 lower I'd own a second one for my other car.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #289
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My Comp 2007 is working perfectly after a year of abuse.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #290
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid TT-01 View Post
Anyone know where i can buy a LRP X11 13.5 motor and a sintered rotor. Ive looked but most places are out of stock.

Also wondering, is it possible just to buy a sintered 13.5 rotor and put it in a x11 6.5 can?
Think of a brushless motor as being inside out from a brushed. With brushless the magnet is on the armature/Rotor. The wind then is part of the can. So looking back at your question, Yes you can put a rotor from a 13.5 into a 6.5 can, but chances are its identical to the rotor thats already in it. It is unlikely to make a noticeable change in performance, unless your original rotor is damaged.
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 PM   #291
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Think of a brushless motor as being inside out from a brushed. With brushless the magnet is on the armature/Rotor. The wind then is part of the can. So looking back at your question, Yes you can put a rotor from a 13.5 into a 6.5 can, but chances are its identical to the rotor thats already in it. It is unlikely to make a noticeable change in performance, unless your original rotor is damaged.
Thanks for clearing all that up for me. I know understant it.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 AM   #292
Tech Elite

How much of a difference does the timing make ???
Ive been told unlike brushed its used to improve efficiency, is this true ???
Also since there is so many different brands and not all are working on the same number designation ie 13.5, 12.5 etc... the easiest way for checking and teching motors so all are running the same is to put motors on a motor checker and see that they are all within 5% of each other in terms of rpm.
Not sure how you would measure KV but is the above correct ?
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #293
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My understanding and Im not the expert is that the Kv rating of a BL motor indicates a thousand RPM for each volt. So a 5900Kv motor will turn 42480rpm on a 7.2volt pack. Smokin!

I dont think its feasable to attempt to match the motors on RPM.
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #294
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
How much of a difference does the timing make ???
Ive been told unlike brushed its used to improve efficiency, is this true ???
Also since there is so many different brands and not all are working on the same number designation ie 13.5, 12.5 etc... the easiest way for checking and teching motors so all are running the same is to put motors on a motor checker and see that they are all within 5% of each other in terms of rpm.
Not sure how you would measure KV but is the above correct ?
You can't tech by RPM.

A 13.5 with a bonded rotor or a small diameter rotor like a Novak 13.5 Pro will turn more rpm then a motor with a large sintered rotor like an LRP 13.5 with a sintered rotor in it.

The kicker is that they all go about the same speed on the track...you just have to gear them diffrently.

There are too many variables in motor design to focus on any one techable detail. This is how it was with BR motors too.

When Trinity came out with a new stock motor and it was faster you went out and bought it for $30.00.

Now, when new BL motor comes out and goes faster you go out and buy it just like before...but they cost $80 now...welcome to BL boys...you asked for it and you got it.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #295
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

BUT U CAN SELL YOUR OLD BRUSHLESS MOTOR FOR $50

whereas your stock motor you would of prob spent $20 on brushes and then cant sell it
Old 11-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #296
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by magm20001 View Post
Thats a good point...they really dont wear out except for bearings
Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #297
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by magm20001 View Post

whereas your stock motor you would of prob spent $20 on brushes and then cant sell it
AND...

One year later they are STILL GOING HARD!

I'm glad we did get it...
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #298
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Now, when new BL motor comes out and goes faster you go out and buy it just like before...but they cost $80 now...welcome to BL boys...you asked for it and you got it.
How long ago was Novak's 4300 released, 5 years? With an endbell and rotor upgrade, it's basically the same 10.5 you can buy today. That's not too bad.

Now, with other players in the game, it's likely that will change eventually. Still, even with the Feiago 13.5 and LRP 13.5 out, there's no clear winner between them all. You'd think with ALL that time to see how Novak had done things, if there was some great improvement to be made, they would have done it. As it stands, LRP's rotors suck nuts, and the Feiago sounds like a weed whacker. Whether or not they're actually faster, well, we'll see. I rotate between them all and I can't beat the Novak yet.

It's worth noting that Novak has a generous trade-in policy, so if you do feel like you need to upgrade, and can't sell your used motor, you don't have to eat 100% of the cost of something new.

http://www.teamnovak.com/cs/web_options/index.html
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #299
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think its in the ESC. The technology in the ESC is the trick.
Sure the motors are an important part. And from what I've read each motor reacts different to each ESC. I'm guessing in the timing.?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 AM   #300
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

personally, I think that motor technology is just about to the end of it's leash...Brushed has done all kinds of brush shapes, angles and designs, big comms, small comms, flat wire, etc etc. Brushless as well, different rotors...

What I'm getting at is, I think that the next step in "go-fast"/electronic performance will be custom ESC mapping. Just like cars do "re-flash" on dyno tuning....I think or "would like to see" some ESC tuners where you send your ESC away to get it "re-flashed" or them buying ESC's directly from the manufacturer and map them for specific things.

I realize that we can adjust several parameters on our own with the push of a few buttons and light combinations, but I'm talking about full on tuning. That would be sweet!...and I think that's where "tuning" should go next.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote