R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2007, 06:41 AM   #241
Tech Initiate

Default Ratings of power

[B]DAMM it's interesting doing a bit of basic research to see that a so called [B][U]13.5 motor starts at about 150 watts to around 200 or so watts,
so do your home work, also some motors you can advance/retard other you can not,
some you need to advance or retard the timing to suit the esc you are using
to stop cogging etc, but be careful you could burn out your investment real quick.
So how is the goverining bodies of our hobbie going to homoligate the use of these motors for racing when novak 13.5 ss has 195watts and the 13.5 novak sports is 165watts ? and yet the novak ss5800 is 196 watts and the speedpassion 9.5 is 195
U figure it out but its food for thought
Sct
chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:46 AM   #242
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

those figure dont mean sht.

but noobies use those figures to buy their gear.

its like a car dyno, go to one dyno says 150atw then go across the street another dyno says 200 atw, which dyno sheet do you brag about?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #243
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Yea. SpeedPassion, Orion, GM and possibly others are Feiago motors. It's not clear how much (if any) the design changes from one company to the next, but my understanding is they get at least some input on the construction of the motor. I initially found my Orion 13.5 to be soft, but I'm giving it another chance for the next couple of weeks. It's definitely lighter, which means a lot with these heavy brushless cars when they're using NiMH.

http://www.feigao.com/sdp/85838/4/pd...483-51426.html

I was just looking at this post and it reminded me of the epic stock motors. It seemed like years ago, there were lots of motors out there that were all some form of the same 27 turn Epic. To the point that I thought Epic just made cans and endbells. Yet you still had differrent companies marketing their version with little to no changes.

It seems like thats what the Feiago is doing right now. Does anyone else see it this way.
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #244
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I was just looking at this post and it reminded me of the epic stock motors. It seemed like years ago, there were lots of motors out there that were all some form of the same 27 turn Epic. To the point that I thought Epic just made cans and endbells. Yet you still had differrent companies marketing their version with little to no changes.

It seems like thats what the Feiago is doing right now. Does anyone else see it this way.
Sort of...

With Epic stocks a motor builder could buy a crate of stock motors with no brushes and springs. The good tuners would cut the coms, put in good brushes and springs...some would balance the arms. The bad tuners would adds brushes and springs and slap on a label.

In the end all the cans, arms and endbells were identical.

With Feigao what you end up with depends on how deep your pockets are. If you have no money you buy a couple hundred off the shelf motors. If you have lots of money they will whip up anything you want (diffrent cans, end bells, stator laminations in various steel alloys and dimensions, rotor diameters, copper wire grades and gauges) you just have to commit to A LOT of motors and the costs of tooling up all your custom changes.

If you have the $$ you can have a one off motor from Feigao. This was not the case with brushed motors from Epic or Yokomo/Sagami.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #245
Tech Champion

Thats cool that really opens my eyes. I just remember differrent motors all had either Yoke or Epic endbells. I used to buy Kyosho LeMans motors and they were ususally (maybe always) differrent. I can remember the Twister modifieds and a motor that was called a revolution and I know that it was an epic can. That was 86,87.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #246
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jallshouse

i saw some good information a page or so back about motor temps, where on the motor is the best place to read the temp?
jallshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #247
Tech Regular

I just spent a lot of time reading over this thread and first off, thank you for the usefull information. I have currently been running a tc4 stock rubber on carpet with 6-cell match packs and I am looking at going brushless. What exactly is the difference in the various 13.5 Novak systems and speed control combos?

I currently have a Mamba Max 7700 for my stadium truck and I really like making adjustments on my computer. With that said, I will not be using a new speed control for a 4.5 or something like that. I am going to keep it to a 13.5.

Thanks in advance
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 AM   #248
Tech Champion

All I know is that one of the Novak 13.5's is hotter than the other, and that a lot of people have noticed that any BL runs quicker with the LRP tc esc pushing it. The verdict is still out on the Orion/Fegaio motors.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #249
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallshouse View Post
i saw some good information a page or so back about motor temps, where on the motor is the best place to read the temp?
I read somewhere that a temp gun will work the most accurate on a dark color versus a light, shiny color. On my Novak I check it on the purple ring.

Ben

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #250
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jallshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
I read somewhere that a temp gun will work the most accurate on a dark color versus a light, shiny color. On my Novak I check it on the purple ring.

Ben
thanks for the help!!
jallshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #251
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The purple ring though is a removeable heat sink thing, Im not sure that it will give you the correct temperature if you take it from there? Its not connnected to the motor, it just slides on? I take mine from somewhere on the can.
LRP, Intellect, Futaba
rcstunt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #252
Tech Adept

hey , I take the temp from the endbell, is that not right? if i temped at the can my temps would be way lower. ??? Dan.
danimal1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #253
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal1965 View Post
hey , I take the temp from the endbell, is that not right? if i temped at the can my temps would be way lower. ??? Dan.

You need to temp the middle of the can on a BL motor. Thats where the heat is. There is nothing going on inside either endbell on a BL motor.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #254
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
You need to temp the middle of the can on a BL motor. Thats where the heat is. There is nothing going on inside either endbell on a BL motor.
thanks for the info. What about a brushed motor?
danimal1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #255
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILDRVR View Post
I just spent a lot of time reading over this thread and first off, thank you for the usefull information. I have currently been running a tc4 stock rubber on carpet with 6-cell match packs and I am looking at going brushless. What exactly is the difference in the various 13.5 Novak systems and speed control combos?

I currently have a Mamba Max 7700 for my stadium truck and I really like making adjustments on my computer. With that said, I will not be using a new speed control for a 4.5 or something like that. I am going to keep it to a 13.5.

Thanks in advance
I ran 13.5 brushless tonight with my Mamba Max speedo and the Orion 13.5 combo with excellent results. Very happy with how everything worked and the motor was only 130 degrees after a 6 minute race. I can go up at least a tooth or two but I need to get a smaller spur gear.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote