R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #166
Tech Adept

thanks for the replys guys regarding the sensor wire. think i might have to do cut and crip job, just cant stand the long wire lol

any one run the orion 13.5 wot do ya think of it compared to the novak ss. iam thinking of geting the orion aswell just want to know if its any better or if i should stick with me novak

thanks again
skiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #167
Tech Elite

From what i gather if I start out at around 45mm roll out i should be good to go as a starting point.
Sweet spot most are talking about seems to be around 45mm t0 50mm roll out.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #168
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

hey guys
, i run is australia and my local club only allows the bonded rotor 13.5 by novak,

i am running a ratio of 4.94 with rubber tyres on medium sized outdoor track
(rollout of 40.00mm) is this about right for the bonded rotor?

ohh yeah its in a cyclone TC.
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #169
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
For future reference (myself and others), I ended up geared:

Novak 13.5SS
Mamba Max (ESC)
6cell
rubber tires, asphalt track 50x100
4.72 FDR seemed to be a good FDR. Lower might have been faster yet, but this was fast enough for the competition.
In 65degF ambient, I was seeing temps around 130degF after a five minute race. I actually ran back-to-back once, and temp was still only like 140.
Hi

I found this much earlier post.... Can advice what is the software settings on the Mamba ESC for mating with a 13.5ss motor?

Appreciate that. Thanks!
pole_position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #170
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mamba Max ESC
Novak 13.5SS

--Settings--
40% brake
0% punch control
30% drag brake
medium start power
high timing
no cutoff

I have also ran on low timing, and I don't notice a difference. There probably is a small difference.

Launching this setup from a stop takes a little time and patience. Experiment with different throttle inputs.

-Adam
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:17 AM   #171
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

Has any one tested the SpeedPassion 13.5? What were your results?

Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #172
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essnowyt View Post
Has any one tested the SpeedPassion 13.5? What were your results?

Snowy.
I believe it's essentially the same motor as Orion's 13.5, since they're both made by Feigao. I'm very eager to hear other opinions on it, I didn't really care for my Orion 13.5, but I'm going to give it some more time in the coming weeks. I'm really eager to hear from other people about it (or the SpeedPassion).
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #173
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I believe it's essentially the same motor as Orion's 13.5, since they're both made by Feigao. I'm very eager to hear other opinions on it, I didn't really care for my Orion 13.5, but I'm going to give it some more time in the coming weeks. I'm really eager to hear from other people about it (or the SpeedPassion).
What is your opinion of the Orion 10.5 compared to the Novak?

What did you not like abot the 13.5? I own the Novak 13.5pro and Orion 10.5.

Thanks
Double Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #174
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Quattro View Post
What is your opinion of the Orion 10.5 compared to the Novak?

What did you not like abot the 13.5? I own the Novak 13.5pro and Orion 10.5.

Thanks
I haven't raced 10.5 in about a year, and haven't tried Orion's at all, so I'm the wrong guy to answer that.

The Orion 13.5 felt flat to me. It didn't seem to have the torque of the Novak and LRP, so it didn't jump out of the turns. It may be as fast (or faster?) in a straight line, though, so maybe a smoother driver could better leverage it than I can. I also felt like it didn't seem as smooth or natural feeling as the other 13.5's. The Novak and LRP have giant rotors that provided a lot of natural magnetic cog, making the drag brake feel a lot like a brushed motor. The Orion did not, it cogs the least of any. Kind of like a bonded rotor in a 13.5.

But, just to reiterate, these are only my observations. I don't think it's fair for my lone opinion to sway people one way or the other, but so far, nobody else has responded with an opinion of their own.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #175
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ran my LRP comp TC with 13.5 bonded Vector motor yesterday (foam Carpet, 6 cell sedan) and was very pleased with the overall power and feel. Very consistent from run to run. It seemed to have the same overall top end as the faster 27t brushed driver's cars and I felt slightly more grunt out of the corners. Not really an advantage over the faster drivers. The best part of the whole day was NOT tearing my motor apart and doing any maintenance.

My question to anyone out there running this setup is, what temp does your motor tend to come off the track at? After the 5 minute run my motor temps at the center section of the can @220 deg F. Haven't had any instances of thermal shutdown or notice any fade in power or braking throughout the run. Didn't mess with timing of the motor (or know you could for that matter) but would turning down the timing result in cooler temps of the motor? I had my LHS order a Sintered rotor in hopes that it lowers the temp, but I'm hoping it doesn't result in more power/speed (want user-friendliness, not an advantage).

I'm running the Nicad/NiHM race profile, Highest punch setting and the #2 drag brake. Didn't mess with the punch profiles but am thinking that a lower setting might help a bit. Be interested to see how long this motor holds up to these kind of temps. Only have yesterday and one practice night on it so we'll see after this weekend too. Sorry for the long post but just wanted to give my experience with the motor. If anyone with this setup could let me know about their temps on the motor, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
dmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #176
Tech Lord

That's really hot. A Novak will shut down around 180 degrees, but I don't think the LRP ESC (or motor?) has the shutdown circuitry. With it getting that hot, I wouldn't expect the bonded magnets in the rotor to last very long. If it's allowed, you might consider the sintered rotor. Just keep in mind you'll have to gear it higher than the bonded.

Edit: Ooops, I see you're already considering the sintered. It will give the motor a little more torque than it has currently, but in general, you shouldn't have to worry about heat with that rotor.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #177
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Mamba Max ESC
Novak 13.5SS

--Settings--
40% brake
0% punch control
30% drag brake
medium start power
high timing
no cutoff

I have also ran on low timing, and I don't notice a difference. There probably is a small difference.

Launching this setup from a stop takes a little time and patience. Experiment with different throttle inputs.

-Adam
Thanks! Adam
pole_position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #178
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Novak 13.5SS
Mamba Max ESC
Carpet, foams
44' x 80'
Pretty quick layout, two full-length straights, ~8.5s fast laps
I ended up with rollout of 40mm. Motor temp was around 160degF.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #179
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

thanks Syndrome, I hope the sintered rotor helps with the temp issue. My buddies Novak 13.5ss with the sphere TC is super fast but only runs at 150 degF max. Did you ever run the bonded LRP rotor? If so, is the 220deg F temp normal for this motor setup? Like I said, i'm going to mess with the speedo profiles to see if that helps but just curious on the normal operating temp of this motor.
dmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #180
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcguire View Post
thanks Syndrome, I hope the sintered rotor helps with the temp issue. My buddies Novak 13.5ss with the sphere TC is super fast but only runs at 150 degF max. Did you ever run the bonded LRP rotor? If so, is the 220deg F temp normal for this motor setup? Like I said, i'm going to mess with the speedo profiles to see if that helps but just curious on the normal operating temp of this motor.
Nope, I only ran the sintered. Others have run the bonded for a while (EA, I think) with some success, though. If it's like other bonded rotors, it will run fast and hot to begin with, but the heat will fade the magnetic strength causing it to run hotter with each additional run. Keep an eye on it, 220 is pretty warm. Without thermal shutdown, the motor would happily run until it's hot enough to melt the insulation on the winds and short itself out.