R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree6Likes

Old 12-07-2001, 08:10 PM   #511
Tech Master

spooky

Which battery config are you running? Seems like it will have oversteer in the inline configuration. My buddy built his and I was checking it out today. The car is frickin cool! The front end is awesome. If you run in the inline battery config, where did you put your transponder mount? I don't see anywhere that it will fit. In the sideways config, you could drill a hole in the top deck for it. Lemme know your thoughts on traction on the car. The front end seems really soft compared to the Tamiya car. The backend seems very soft too, though. Did you convert it to 64 or 48 pitch gears? The stock gear ratio is pretty pretty low. Seems like I have little choice! I must have one! The Cross car is much cooler than the Corally or Tamiya cars. Thanks for the info.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:28 PM   #512
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Psycho
Actually, I just converted the car to 48p today I will tell ya after I run it.. where the gearing ends up. Yeah the car is soft, I bought the stiffer springs for the front, and put an oil shock on the back. I am running the beattery Tamiya style. The reason I did that was purely impatience. The JR servo I put in the car had a very short lead, so I had to put the reciever close to it. I left all of the mounting hardware to run the car with the battery inline, now all of my electronics are in a shroud. I put the transponder in the left side pod of the body, once again in a rush. I will look for a better place. I do have a question for ya..... Have you seen the new red colored F body, if so... I thought I saw somewhere that tmaiya was also making a clear version.... do you know anything about that ? It will make a great Sauber.. It will be nice to have someone to compare notes with..... We have 5 or 6 guys running the Cross here, but I was the trailblazer, and they are just getting up to speed. Les has 5 or 6 of the kits left, and they have been going pretty brisk... It is great to have a small comeback of F1
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 08:56 PM   #513
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 03:52 PM   #514
Tech Master

spooky

Great news on the F1 comeback. I wasn't racing this weekend, but I heard we had a heat of F1 cars at our track. Gotta like that! The red body you are referring to is the F-type. It is sold painted and clear. The wing set is black and the figure is white, in both cases. Tamiya only has one listed in the catalog and it appears to be painted. The part# is 50899 My lhs sells both, but currently has the clear one. If Les can't get it for you, try Castle Hobbies www.castlehobbies.com. You're probably better off calling them Thanks for the info on the Cross car. I think you're right about the battery orientation. It certainly appears that it will work best when it's "Tamiya style."
Old 12-17-2001, 12:38 PM   #515
Tech Master

Where did everyone go? Our group raced yesterday. One of our guys brought out his HPI car. It's completely stock and this was it's innagural run. It's a pretty cool car. I was quite impressed with it.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:02 PM   #516
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Psycho... those HPI cars sure do look nice... however wher we run... Rubber is the tire... and no capped foams are allowed. So my buddy sold his to get a tamiya..rather than convert, besides he sold the car for Waaaay more than he got it for.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 06:25 PM   #517
Tech Master

I let him drive my TRF car and he liked the way it handled with rubber tires better than the way the HPI handled with foams. It's mainly because the track was pretty slippery. Hopefully another guy is bit by the F1 bug!
Old 12-17-2001, 07:58 PM   #518
Tech Initiate

I think a lot of the traffic on this thread went over to http://www.formula1-rc.com/
You guys are welcome to come over there if you are not already...they just opened up an online F-1 parts store too!
Odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 01:37 PM   #519
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F
Default F-1

Hello everyone,

I just got a new F103 LM that I'm planning on converting to an F-1. Other than the lower chassis, is there anything else that I would need to make the transition successful?

Also any tips wold be appreciated. Are you running HPI spurs, Kimbrough or the Tamiya spurs? And are you using either a 540, RS-540 or a 24 degree 27T motor?

Has anyone purchased the F103 LM and coverted it into an F-1?

Thanks

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 02:33 PM   #520
Regional Moderator

psycho - I got the F103LM about 2 weeks ago, I haven't put it together because I want to convert it to an F-1. I ordered the regular bottom chassis, not the carbon graphite one but the regular chassis. I just got it in Monday and what my plans are is to use the one that I just got as a template and cut the LM chassis to size and use that as my bottom plate so that I can run it in F-1. I don't plan on running LeMans so the chassis would just go to waist anyway. The graphite chassis is discontinued and Tamiya wants $80.00 just for the bottom plate.

This is my first F-1 kit so any suggestions, set-ups tips, gear ratios (I'm going to run the RS-540 motor that came in the kit), oil weight would be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:25 PM   #521
Tech Master

Mike F

Cool! I didn't want to mess with trying to make a chassis, so I just ponied up the $$ for the Tamiya one. The only mods, other than the F-type chassis, that I have done are to convert to a side mount antenna (because of the body I run,) and switch to Kimbrough 48 pitch gears. Oh, and I use the graphite rear axle. I use Associated Black grease on the friction damper and Trinity 25 weight shock oil in the oil damper. I race with a Reedy MVP motor, so the gearing should be pretty similar for the black can 540. I have the best results when I run around 6:1 gear ratio. I also race on a technical track, so I want the acceleration. I think anywhere between 5:1 and 6:1 should be very fast. If you're running foam tires, use the medium compound up front and soft in back. If you run rubber, I like the Ride grooved tires. They are really sticky and look sweet. Good luck getting your car put together. They are fun to drive!
Old 12-19-2001, 03:36 PM   #522
Regional Moderator

is that graphite rear axle a Tmiya hop-up. On the kimbrough gears, did you need a special adaptor,like the one that comes in the HPI spur parts? I'm going to run the tires that came in the kit, Tamiya A compounds to see if I can get them dialed in. I'm a big believer in rubber tires for some reason, but then again I never used foam tires. If I use the rubber tires should I use any traction compound,if so what do you recommend? Our track is semi technical, asphalt, OK traction without any VHT.

I ordered the F- type body, it's already painted red.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:03 PM   #523
Tech Master

Mike F

Yes, I use the Tamiya axle. It's part# 53116 There is one thing that I forgot to mention. The LM car comes with gold front springs. Those will likely be too hard for unprepared asphalt. You should run the silver springs. The part# for a complete set of silver (soft,) gold (medium) and hard (black) is 50509 and should be around $5 Kimbrough makes a spurgear just for direct drive cars. Unfortunately, I don't have part#'s, but you can probably get it from their website. Your lhs probably has a few sitting on a shelf in the back stockroom. They make a 48 and 64 pitch gear that takes 12 1/8" bearings. The center hole is the right size for the bearing, so you don't need an adapter or any mods to make it work. I found the kit tires to be a bit too hard for unprepared asphalt. They work great when you have a GTP body, but not as well with the low downforce F1 body. Try it and see. I would build them as the instruction says, though. The rear tires will seem strange when you put them together, but they get the most grip with the thin inserts. You won't want to run foams on unprepared asphalt. When my group has practice, we blow off the parking lot and spray soda on the track (Sam's Choice Grape works best ) and rubber tires work great on this surface. Foams are so-so. It's rough when you get off line! One of my lhs's track is prepared with vht and foams are awesome there. I like the Trinity traction compound on foams. I've used it on rubber tires as well, but haven't really noticed much difference. A lot of guys use Paragon and sun-tan lotion as well. The Trinity stuff works great and it's easy. If you can get the Ride grooved tires, I think you'll really like them. Plus they even say Bridgestone Potenza on the side.
Old 12-22-2001, 02:10 PM   #524
Tech Rookie

Is any one interested in buying an F103, I have one for sale.
Aluminum shock, aluminum motor plate, type a slicks, 1 F1 body 2 Lemans bodys, full set of like new foams.
Let me know if anyone is interested.
Thanks
RCOracer
RCOracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 11:07 AM   #525
Regional Moderator

Thanks psycho. I took a look at the springs that came with my kit and the front springs are actually silver not gold but it's good to have that part number.

I installed everything except the electronics yesterday. The rear right axle shaft is nice, very light and I like the blue color. I spun the wheels after I put them together just to get a feel for it and noticed that the spur was a little wobbly. I loosened the hex screw to realign the rear axle shaft and the screw wouldn't tighten up, it almost felt stripped. This was the first time I took this aprat after putting it together, is it that fragile? Any suggestions on how to fix this? I was really disappointed that this happened especially since it's a new kit

Anyway, I'm going to keep the set-up soft and work from there. I put 30 WT oil in the shock. the Associate Black grease, does it work for you and how is your set-up (soft/med/hard)? I'm going to run the A-compounds and possibly get those tires that you mentioned, do you have a part number for those?

Thanks again