Tamiya F103 Forum >

Tamiya F103 Forum

Like Tree9Likes

Tamiya F103 Forum

Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fresnojay
Just a bit of info on my background. I race the mini, TC's listed in my signature locally and have been doing so since August of last year.
Jason
Originally Posted by ShadowAu
I can only quote from my own experience but I've found the steering angle you are carrying when you try to put the power on is very important, so I'd be looking at your corner entry first and see how much steering you are using to get into the corner. If you are using 100% steering I would first modify that. The less steering angle you can carry through the corner, while still making the turn, the less the car tends to want to turn itself around on exit - at least that's what I've found.

A proper shock will help a lot too. The original damper really isn't up to much and can't even call it a proper friction damper. Though if you played with different greases on the plates you might be able to calm the rear of the car down some.

Are the other drivers using the Pardus tyres? - they are not considered a particularly grippy tyre. Most people I know are using either the Ride R1 or Shimizu tyres

Finally, for 540 I would say you are massively under geared. That will also make the car harder to drive coming out of the corner because of all the punch it will give. I'd definitely move to the 88tooth spur

Nothing ground breaking here but like I said I am only quoting from my own experience
I'd have to agree with Shadow's statements. Mostly, an F1 Rubber car just drives completely different from anything else on-road. Minis demand you keep throttle on through the corner as much as possible, because they accelerate so slowly. A rubber TC car needs to lean/ roll so weight can transfer and the outside front tire can pull the car out of the corner. An F1 car is an exercise in finesse driving, and it rewards careful input.

If you can race the shimizu or TCS 1031/1032 combo, do that. Also, a thicker grease on the damper plates could slow the reaction of the car down and make it a bit more predictable.

Since you are running a brushed motor, try "detuning" your esc for less punch, and put some negative throttle expo on your tx.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I knew I was in for a learning experience with this car/class. I have been doing well with the mini and TC in their respective classes and seemed to have grasped them pretty well to where racing them is no longer a panic attack, lol. I rather enjoy them and thought something new would be fun. Plus common who doesn't think F1 is cool?

Ok so lets make sure I am understanding right. Cutting down on the steering angle meaning try running with a cut down EPA to the point the car makes the corner without going to full lock and keep just enough to make the tightest corner turned all the way over? Sorry I am still learning terms .

As for tires others do run Shimizu's and that was a thought to try on the rears as the fronts seem to have plenty of bite. Any part #'s to go with the Shimizu's? I will also look up those TCS tires.

The damper will be replaced with an oil one as soon as it gets here. I will also get some grease on those plates. I was running them dry.

I will also swap out the spur for the 88T one. I am already running negative expo and that had helped get it a little more under control than it had been. I do have a punch knob on the ESC and will play with that too. But after I make the spur and grease adjustments to see how much it helps first.

I have a lot to learn as I did when I started with my mini and TC's. Open to any and all input.

Jason

Last edited by fresnojay; 04-07-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ok so lets make sure I am understanding right. Cutting down on the steering angle meaning try running with a cut down EPA to the point the car makes the corner without going to full lock and keep just enough to make the tightest corner turned all the way over? Sorry I am still learning terms .

Jason
Personally I'd do it with the dual rate on your steering... almost the same thing except if you need to (different conditions, different track) you can wind it back up or further down. Also means if you need to change it during a race you can...
Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Negative expo on throttle will make the throttle more aggresive. You need to go positive on the expo to make the car more driveable on power! Softer rears will keep the rear from stepping out. I drive Steve"s f1 after the race an it was hooked on the tires he had on it get some of those tires!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

Not neccesary, depends on what radio you have. Spektrum has the opposite from others, in their radios positive is slower (around the center) and negative is more aggressive
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Brian, My flysky is opposite from your spectrum radio in terms of its expo as Urabusdenis stated. Its one of the things I had to figure out when I first got it and kinda threw me for a loop at first. I do believe Steve's car is running the Shimizu's and that is what I am shooting for. His car was glued to the track and when you took it out really showed what it could do. That is what I am trying to at least get close to.

ShadowAu, That I can do and will do when I take it out next.

Jason
Old 04-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Ok did some running at home and am really indifferent at this point. I have turned down my dual rate to about 50-55% which has greatly reduced the potential steering. The car can turn about a 4'-5' circle at full lock on the radio now. I tried adding more expo, it was at 35% and worked up to 55% with some result but marginal at best. It would still kick out the rear end even when mild power is applied when cornering. I then went to turning down the torque on the ESC while setting the Rx back to 0% expo, Again little to no result. I will try adding some expo to the detuned stated of the esc and see what that yields.

I do realize that I am running in the street and not a prepped track surface but expected to see some kind of reasonable result. I will try to get out to the track sometime this week and get some track running in. See if that yields anything useful.

Jason
Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ok did some running at home and am really indifferent at this point. I have turned down my dual rate to about 50-55% which has greatly reduced the potential steering. The car can turn about a 4'-5' circle at full lock on the radio now. I tried adding more expo, it was at 35% and worked up to 55% with some result but marginal at best. It would still kick out the rear end even when mild power is applied when cornering. I then went to turning down the torque on the ESC while setting the Rx back to 0% expo, Again little to no result. I will try adding some expo to the detuned stated of the esc and see what that yields.

I do realize that I am running in the street and not a prepped track surface but expected to see some kind of reasonable result. I will try to get out to the track sometime this week and get some track running in. See if that yields anything useful.

Jason
Nothing compares to driving on a prep'ed track, especially with something like an F1. I wouldn't make any judgements until you've put it back on the track proper.

Personally, if I knew the fast guy was running different tyres that would be my first change. Get the right tyres and 85%-90% of your set up work is done.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What gear ratio are you running you could lower it to take some of the punch out of it. How tight is your ball diff? loosen it up!
I just order a Tamiya F104 GP edition it suppose to be in friday so I don't think I can put it together before saturday. I will try to get it done maybe the track won;t get as much work on friday.
Originally Posted by ShadowAu
Personally, if I knew the fast guy was running different tyres that would be my first change. Get the right tyres and 85%-90% of your set up work is done.
That is what I recomend too I ordered the tires that Steve had on his car and I hope they get here by friday!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Well tonight I got a chance to head out to the track and met up with a fellow F1 owner and friend. I got to test my current setup to see no change in handling. Watched his car go around without a hitch. Even got to drive his and WOW did it handle. We got to talking about tires and told me he was running ride R1's. He also said he had some Shimizu's. He stated his car was pushing and it was as I noticed too. So he pulled it the Shimizu's and gave them a run. During this time I borrowed his rides and holy crap my car drive like it was being held down by magnets! It was pushing a bit but wow did it handle! I then got a chance run the Shimizu's. Again WOW and it didn't push, but was a bit looser on the rear. All in all a great run tonight at the track. I have a set of rides on order now and will get some Shimizu.s as well for a decent setup option. Thanks to all you guys that helped me get this sucker going.

Jason

P.S. Brian I have your outdrive and George should be out to run F1 this weekend. He was the person I was with tonight at the track.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Ok I got a chance to really race this sucker this past Saturday. I did buy some Ride R1's and did run them in the race. Found my loosened diff to be too loose and have tightened it up a bit and have been hunting for some new ceramic diff balls to rebuild it. The car ran great and had every bit as much speed as any other car on the track. I did push as expected with the rides, but now am going to see what I can do to free her up a bit. I am also now fitting an oil damper to the car. Its only a temp one till I can get a TRF for it though.

All in all was a great first real race for my budget F1. I can't thank you all enough for the help.

Jason
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

I did push as expected with the rides, but now am going to see what I can do to free her up a bit.
It's an F103 so freeing it up is easy, just tighten up the screws for the T-piece. The adjustment is pretty sensitive when you are near the sweet spot, a quarter turn will make a difference. Just run a lap or two, flip the car over and tweak the screws, then try another lap or two to test.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

I found an unopened Tamiya Ferrari 312T3 on F103 chassis. Here are some pictures of my progress building the kit.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Body painted, ready for decals.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

White vinyl decals and wings are added.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.