R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default help w/ novak esc

I am having trouble w/ glitching on my Novak brushless system. Mostly stuttering, hesitation. Sometimes weak braking, or glitchy steering. I have swapped all the radio gear: different transmitter, receiver, crystals, brand new battery pack in the car [Nimh 3300], new alkalines in transmitter, etc.
It does the same stuff with any combination of gear that I have tried.

I have sent this system in and exchanged it for a brand new upgrade and it does the same thing as the last one did.

My other cars run fine with the same radio gear, but when I put the Novak system in the vehicle it goes nuts. I ordered the combo from Novak and they have been really cool, but I can't make the thing work. Is there some trick to routing the wires or something that just makes mine not run??????? Must I use deans plugs, or shorten the wires, or paint myself blue and dance around the sacrificial bonfire?????

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
swannco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swannco View Post
I am having trouble w/ glitching on my Novak brushless system. Mostly stuttering, hesitation. Sometimes weak braking, or glitchy steering. I have swapped all the radio gear: different transmitter, receiver, crystals, brand new battery pack in the car [Nimh 3300], new alkalines in transmitter, etc.
It does the same stuff with any combination of gear that I have tried.

I have sent this system in and exchanged it for a brand new upgrade and it does the same thing as the last one did.

My other cars run fine with the same radio gear, but when I put the Novak system in the vehicle it goes nuts. I ordered the combo from Novak and they have been really cool, but I can't make the thing work. Is there some trick to routing the wires or something that just makes mine not run??????? Must I use deans plugs, or shorten the wires, or paint myself blue and dance around the sacrificial bonfire?????

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If the system has been switched out with a new one and it works in your other cars then I'd look into the car it's glitching in. Are wire's rubbing somewhere, bad graphite (I've had that happen before) There's gotta be something small that you may be over looking. I hope you find it.....and find it soon.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another factor could be which motor you're using, & which rotor it has in it. Some combos(even a 13.5 with the original bonded rotor) can put a SERIOUS amp draw on the system, & can put enough stress on the battery that it simply can't supply enough volts to keep the BEC running properly, which causes the glitching(it can especially happen with receivers that need alot of current, like the Spektrum 2.4GHz ones for example, & strong servos can also stress the BEC). Soemthing you might try is buying what we used to call a "Stutter Stopper", basically a capacitor that plugs directly into the reciever & takes power from the BEC & stores it, & when the voltage from the ESC drops, the capacitor discharges & keeps the voltage level up for a moment which keeps the receiver working properly. Spektrum, Novak & others now sell them, & you can get one for about $10 or so, don't know for sure it'll cure everything, but it should at least help. And if that doesn't work, then you might need to consider upgrading your batteries(maybe they just can't keep up with the current demands, but newer cell designs have lower resistance & can supply a LOT of current, as well as them having better voltage to boot)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Tech Adept

thanks for the ideas guys, i'll check. i have the 8.5 brushless w/ sintered rotor and i was wondering if there just wasn't enough juice with the battery to power it. i've checked all the wires for rubs or cracks and stuff, but don't see anything. i was wondering about shielding the wires or rerouting them???

I will ask at my LHS for a stutter stopper. where does it plug in? the only free spot on my JR receiver is for the battery. throttle and steering are used.

Not to sound dumb, but what is BEC?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Battery Eliminator Circuitry

do a search for " novak glitch buster " its a capacitor

tower has them

yes you plug it straight into any free channel or the battery slot of the reciever.

just make sure you dont plug it in the wrong way around as it can blow the capacitor and maybe even your reciever.
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to more$thanbrains

EDIT

he posted before me by 30 seconds /\
more$thanbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

check the transcap module... make sure its not dented or damaged.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:22 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jsl6v8

I know in my novak it mentions not putting well anything near the receiver and antena as they could cause electrical interference, so if you have your motor or ESC next to them that could possibly be your problem.
jsl6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
Tech Adept

i give up. i bought the novak glitch buster, no help though. i can't put the esc anywhere other than where it is. its really frustrating. there is only one place for the servo, rec, esc to go in my buggy or touring car due to space limitations. [iv'e tried this system in different cars that run fine with other motor/esc combos, and it just won't work right] i have routed the wires every way i can think of but it still glitches like hell.

i can only think of a few causes:
1. my brand new venom 3300 stick packs are all shit
-yes i bought some new ones just hoping it was a bad pack
-and they work fine in my other cars
2. my jr radio that came with this novak system [rtr losi] is not powerful enough
-then why did it come with the car and run ok for awhile
-why would the same radio/rec combo work on other cars ok
3. i'm an idiot and can't figure this out
-possible, unfortunately, but still....
4. novak brushless motors are shit
-if this is the case why are they the most acclaimed system out there and everybody except me loves them and have no problems
5. there is some secret joojoo way to route the wires that remains hidden from me
6. 3 different systems, in 3 different cars, have the same glitching problems, but only when a novak system is installed

ARRRGGGGHHHH.

i am about 2 shakes away from putting the whole system in the trash and just calling it a $300 waste of money. i've exchanged and upgraded this system 3 times and all i have to show is a nice new system that doesn't work and less money. bloody hell.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

There was a kid at the track a couple weeks ago that was having a bad glitching problem...it would work OK up close, but walk away and it would freak out and stop doing anything. It was a Spektrum/M11(pretty new)/GTB deal...we swapped out everything one at a time and nothing fixed it.

Bound my transmitter (beat-to-crap M8/Spektrum) to his car and it worked fine. It had a bad range problem for some reason...battery charged up...it was like new, but it didn't work right at all.

I'm not saying that's it, but it might be...

But hey...if you decide to dump it, toss it my way.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #11
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Have you talked to Charlie at Novak? That would be the first thing to try
You didnt buy the "spred spectrum" model did you? You mentioned crystals in your post and the spred spectrum model only works with 2.4 systems.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

have you tried replacing the transcap module?

had a similar situation before. couldn't tell though if its because i changed my radio system or the transcap module since i did everything in one go.

also, the motor might be dirty (especially the bearings). try cleaning those up as well.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:23 AM   #13
Tech Regular

I've heard these problems before. It seems to be the esc is causing the problem. In Europe this is a known problem. This is the reason I bought myself a LRP brushless kit. Seems to have no interference problems at all. It may be caused by the frequence the novak kit is generating. That might influence your radio set.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Govert; 09-05-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Govert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

voodooph hit it on the head. If for some strange reason you remove things from your car after every race, eventually, one of the connections to the transcap module can break...be it from wear and tear, age or possibly heat (think of wires getting hot and eventually eroding away). This was happening to me. Not realizing why my car sputtered at low throttle, I chalked it up to an old solder joint. Upon close inspection, realizing that all joints were good, I looked to other paths of electric flow and voila, discovered that one of the "leads" that goes into the back of the transcap was broken! Simple fix, break out the 25 watt, lil bit of solder, tap tap, dry..cool then test. This should be the fix (if thats the problem.). If not, try the novak glitch buster..nothing but an additional cap that plugs into the aux in your rx...giving your car a "jolt" when needed.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
Tech Master

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Email me a picture of your setup, we can fix it. I can fix anything....
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote