Wiki Posts
Search

X Ray T2

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)
Default X Ray T2

I am aware it is a sorta outdated car But I like it I just have a few concerns?
Maybe you guys can shed some light on them for me. new to this onroad stuff for the most part.
I got this car used from a local guy who Took super good care of it. He ran 19 turn then moved to mod I saw it run in the mod class's he was hard to beat.
I took the car to a night race last week and did alright with it till the main in which I over heated it and desoldered a esc wire on the checkpoint 19T and I was leading at the time.
So I went to school and reading alot of stuff and a few forums I saw post talking about the xray might be under geared no top end?

34tooth pully is whats on it stock I guess, is there another to change that trans ratio to,

Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

There is a forum that may have all the answers you can have questions for. I have T2s but never needed to change diff pulleys. I just change pinuion gear for a different Final Drive Ratio (FDR).
Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Default Overheating

My guess is the motor was over geared. Try dropping a few teeth on the pinion. Also make sure your using capacitors and a shottky diode. You really don't need to change the drive ratio, it wouldn't cause an overheating problem. If the problem persists double check the settings on the esc and make sure the driveline doesn't have excessive drag or any binding.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

You don't want to change the T2 chassis transmission ratio which is 1.7 What you do want to change is the overall gear/drive/rollout ratio. You do this by changing the pinion and/or the spur gear. The pinion is the normal change and on the T2 9comapred with T1) changing the spur gear is a pain - but it does help you fine tune the ratios.

Not sure I agree with the previous post entirely, being semantic. The wrong overall gear ratio will overheat the engine, whether you are overgeared or I think (never experienced it) undergeared. You just dont change the pulleys to sort this.

The Schottky is a good point though (if your ESC needs one). I don't know how, if at all, you can test a schottky. My car has been running hot the last two meets and I suspect strongly that the schottky has gone as the gearing is right.
Find out what overall gearing ratio your club members use on your track and if you are close (say within .2 or .3, maybe a bit more) then it could well be the Schottky.
You will find a ratio calculator equation on the net somewehere - I am at work and dont have it in front of me. You need your spur gear teeth, your pinion teeth and the chassis ratio which for the T2 will either be 1.7 or I believe early T2s had the T1 2.125 ratio. If you are not sure take out the rear diff and look at the pully wheel and pull off the dust covers (cannot recall if you have to dismatle the diff to do this (easy)). If it is marked 34 then you have 1.7. I am 99.5% certain that if it is marked 32 then you have 2.125.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:46 AM
Tech Regular

Just go to gearchart.com and select gearchart creator tab. Now you can choose your model, the spurs and pinions you are using and calculate your final drive ratio. Depends on the track and motor which final drive ratio you should have.
Hope this helps.