R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Lets stop this before it becomes a train wreck. I think we are talking about two different explosion incidents. Rcmarket posts his mishap and RLMW talks about his. It appears that these are two different incidences with the same end results. All of this hullabaloo, lipo is looking reeeeaaaalll safe right about now.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #62
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Brad, you're my hero. :-)
Old 09-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians11 View Post
It's very unfortunate that you lost 3 packs in one day, but to do the exact same things to 3 packs, on the same equipment, and expecting something different to come out of it is a bit, well, ridiculous.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. -Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #64
Tech Master

I pride myself for starting threads that usually gets a heavy hitter or two to pass through on the "reading tip". But, this topic by far has raised the roof. On one (possibly two) sides, you have either faulty charging methods working in tandem with operator error and the other, potential bad customer service coupled with a bad batch of cells.....man, ish is getting deep.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
I pride myself for starting threads that usually gets a heavy hitter or two to pass through on the "reading tip". But, this topic by far has raised the roof. On one (possibly two) sides, you have either faulty charging methods working in tandem with operator error and the other, potential bad customer service coupled with a bad batch of cells.....man, ish is getting deep.
Just a quick question, Where is the bad customer service and bad batch of cells? Kevin helped this guy out, showed him a method for charging and equalizing, which worked, then somehow it didn't work on Vic's equipment. Brad is lied to, and Vic admitted this, but this is bad customer service? It's hard to diagnose a problem when you don't have all the info... Would you take your car into service b/c it won't start and tell the tech I just filled it with gas, I know it has gas when you know it has no gas in it and expect the shop to fix it somehow? come on now... this wasn't the place to get anything solved, but to try to bring Brad down for something that isn't his doing is just wrong...
Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
Just a quick question, Where is the bad customer service and bad batch of cells? Kevin helped this guy out, showed him a method for charging and equalizing, which worked, then somehow it didn't work on Vic's equipment. Brad is lied to, and Vic admitted this, but this is bad customer service? It's hard to diagnose a problem when you don't have all the info... Would you take your car into service b/c it won't start and tell the tech I just filled it with gas, I know it has gas when you know it has no gas in it and expect the shop to fix it somehow? come on now... this wasn't the place to get anything solved, but to try to bring Brad down for something that isn't his doing is just wrong...

Time out bruh, Isaid its either/or..neither complainer has come on to defend himself, so I am not taking sides.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

Quote:
Time out bruh, Isaid its either/or..neither complainer has come on to defend himself, so I am not taking sides.

Right, you did say either/or.... but I don't see the basis for bad customer service now hearing both sides of the EP issue that was brought up..
Old 09-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #68
Tech Master

Quote:
Right, you did say either/or.... but I don't see the basis for bad customer service now hearing both sides of the EP issue that was brought up..
According to what you say, yes. I am not judge and jury. From the way it reads, looks like you guys held his hand, no pun intended, in charging the cells properly. Thats one guy. I say "possbily two" because Rcmarket, has yet to chime in on this.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #69
Tech Regular

And the moral of the stroy is, not all chinese stuff is shit. But there are a lot of stupid people about.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #70
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK View Post
And the moral of the stroy is, not all chinese stuff is shit. But there are a lot of stupid people about.
I couldnt resist.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #71
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJohnson View Post
On a side note – the Duratrax Ice charger is not a bad charger. However, I have seen were the temperature probe readings were off by 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
I'll vouch for this. The temp probe on my Ice is about 15 degrees off, but it is a consistent 15 degrees off. I also take other precautions like using another thermometer to check each cells temp when a pack is near finished and adjusting the temp on the charger to compensate for the 15 degrees. Since I have adjusted the charger to 116 degrees I have had the thermal cutoff kick in before the voltage shutoff and every time the battery is right around 130 degrees and has already peaked, it just hasn't dropped down 20mv.

That said I really like the charger. The numbers I get when using it are as good or better as off a Turbo 35.

I recently bought the checkpoint and it is a nice update to the Ice. When I get the temp probe for it you can be sure that I will be checking to see how far off it is and labeling the probes to keep them straight.

Someone once told me never to walk away from a pack when it is charging. This is great advice for the last ten minutes of charge.

Edit: I've been looking for a matcher to buy a decent EP pack from to try them out. After reading this thread I bought it from Hurrican Motorsports.

Last edited by haagar; 09-04-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #72
Tech Regular

Quote:
I couldnt resist.
no typo's or stupid people over there then?

nah, thought not

The jog wheel on my ice is busted. It's really anoying and takes ages to fight with it to get it to go the way you want it to. Other than that it's be great. I need to get hold of the component, anyone here know the part type/number?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #73
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagar View Post
I'll vouch for this. The temp probe on my Ice is about 15 degrees off, but it is a consistent 15 degrees off. I also take other precautions like using another thermometer to check each cells temp when a pack is near finished and adjusting the temp on the charger to compensate for the 15 degrees. Since I have adjusted the charger to 116 degrees I have had the thermal cutoff kick in before the voltage shutoff and every time the battery is right around 130 degrees and has already peaked, it just hasn't dropped down 20mv.

That said I really like the charger. The numbers I get when using it are as good or better as off a Turbo 35.

I recently bought the checkpoint and it is a nice update to the Ice. When I get the temp probe for it you can be sure that I will be checking to see how far off it is and labeling the probes to keep them straight.

Someone once told me never to walk away from a pack when it is charging. This is great advice for the last ten minutes of charge.

Edit: I've been looking for a matcher to buy a decent EP pack from to try them out. After reading this thread I bought it from Hurrican Motorsports.
i have a ice and never took note if the temperature probe is off ,would the temperature probe from the ice work on the checkpoint charger.
JR Z1,Orion 4300Mah,Ib 4200Mah,Ice,Rp,Trinity.
Race Prepaired & Driven By TEAM DRIVER (BARBER)
Old 09-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #74
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i just checked my temperature probe just out 1deg.
JR Z1,Orion 4300Mah,Ib 4200Mah,Ice,Rp,Trinity.
Race Prepaired & Driven By TEAM DRIVER (BARBER)
Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Remember boys.........the most accurate temperature is taken where the sun don't shine

so have fun checking those chargers
Closed Thread